Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Just finally got to testing the TM with the ORGA and Flat Hop, decided to feed it 0.30g Biovals it was slinging them at 260fps +/- 4fps, current setup is stock piston and spring with Prommy cylinder head and a stretched piston O-ring. After getting a few kills from a fixed position to several other positions I used a range finder and determined that I was able to make several kills at 200-220', although with .3s and the stock bucking I was maxed out or nearly maxed out on hop adjustment to get a level flight path. I'm rather well impressed.

Just finally got to testing the TM with the ORGA and Flat Hop, decided to feed it 0.30g Biovals it was slinging them at 260fps +/- 4fps, current setup is stock piston and spring with Prommy cylinder head and a stretched piston O-ring. After getting a few kills from a fixed position to several other positions I used a range finder and determined that I was able to make several kills at 200-220', although with .3s and the stock bucking I was maxed out or nearly maxed out on hop adjustment to get a level flight path. I'm rather well impressed.

That seems fairly impressive given the FPS ( always goin o be a drop with WBB)

Can you tell us what sort of range you were getting before the ORGA install? And keep s updated Re future upgrades!

Can you expand more on this ORGA and flat hop systen? Is this the DIY G-Hop thing that techs are doing?

Stock range was at least well over 100' but I didn't test it as thoroughly, as today's skirmish was oddly well mannered for around here so I actually had the chance to range out the shots.

As far as the Wide Bore goes the only thing I dislike about it so far is that it is Brass and not Stainless Steel, the machine work on the barrel looks top notch as I spent some time with calipers and straight edges checking the quality and how true to bore the cuts are, for more info http://orga-airsoft.com/products-page/magnus-barrel/magnus-6-23mm-widebore-barrel-aeg/.

The Flat Hop is a commercial drop-in Flat Hop-Up nub, instead of give a rounded shape to the nub it provides a flatter surface with more/a better contact, there a lot of theories and explanations as to how/why this gives more range/accuracy, my personal belief is that the Flat Nub system prevents the BB from getting flicked upwards into the top of the barrel after leaving the nub which would cause a non-repeatable change in spin. http://orga-airsoft.com/products-page/other-products/firefly-namazu-flat-hop-up/

My next project is to fit this barrel with an R-Hop contact patch and see if that gives me more leeway to sling heavier BBs once I up the power with the 120 Spring and Prometheus piston.

well after thinking i'd fixed my trigger with Aruldite metal glue. Got some new gears, fitted it all, managed to get 30 shots out of it and then it ceased. Opened it up and couldn't see anything wrong annoyingly. However as I was removing the trigger the part that was solid as anything before, came away.

So once again, I've glued ti together, however i need to find a proper replacement. Anyone found somewhere that sells new triggers? or anyone have a spare?

Rifle failure. After several thousand rounds with my rifle shooting at 390 FPS at 15 RPS using a 7.4v 1600mah 35C battery...my stock piston decided to give out on me. It was bound to happen as the contact point for the piston teeth and sector gear teeth are a lot more narrower than your conventional AEG. My buddy is at AEX looking into the King Arms M4/AK next gen hard piston. Will post an update when possible.

well after thinking i'd fixed my trigger with Aruldite metal glue. Got some new gears, fitted it all, managed to get 30 shots out of it and then it ceased. Opened it up and couldn't see anything wrong annoyingly. However as I was removing the trigger the part that was solid as anything before, came away.

So once again, I've glued ti together, however i need to find a proper replacement. Anyone found somewhere that sells new triggers? or anyone have a spare?

Is this what you`re looking for: http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=297

Out of stock atm. But maybe some of our members from Japan can help you source it.

a couple of things happened to my sopmod:

1. Tried to modify trigger to use tactile switch (the tiny switches in your USB Mouse).

1. total Fail
    2. It fires, LOVE the way it feels, nice and snappy but....
    3. Semi auto is gone (because I over did the shaving of the trigger)
    4. When i bump the gun, the gun fires, even on safety LOL

[*]Tried to Fit a CASV set from Evike.com (the universal $80 one).

1. FAIL
  2. you will need to dremel the pointy barrel nut thingy so the casv will sit in the delta ring

Broken Sopmod, waiting for Army CQB clone to come in to swap out for parts.

Next project:

Rear wired Mosfet on a Crane Stock. Can't wait to see what Fail awaits me then!

Is this what you`re looking for: http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=297

Out of stock atm. But maybe some of our members from Japan can help you source it.

Unfortunately not, it's the actual metal trigger that i've managed to break the pin off the side from :/ If the second round of glueing doesn't hold, i'm gonna drill out the other pin side and use a new solid pin that'll replace both.

right, second round of glueing seems to have fixed the trigger, for now. Managed to work out the source of my jamming, it was the MOE grip that i'd fitted. I got the metal base plate like was recommended, however it jammed again, so went back to stock grip, and now it seems fine.

Any ideas?

my socom m4 has started to have feeding issues again! Why does it happen?! i bought it brand new and never opened the gearbox! I remember druid mentioned a few months ago to re assembly the barrel and the problem goes away. What now>!!?!

It feeds fine on full auto but on semi it skips or does not feed at all

Edited by Honzo

I know this has been covered before, but I just cannot get the stock tube cap to budge…

In the end I heated up the stock tube cap using the cooker hob for a minute or so, and then the very carefully but forcefully managed to get the blasted thing to turn. Was still tough, but once it got going it was simple.

For anyone trying to change the recoil spring I'd recommend this method from the start. Just don't forget to remove all the plastic parts first.

But now I'm having another issue…

I'm in the process of replacing all the internals with Prommy parts. I've got all the gears, cylinder and piston in. Plus an Eagle6 M100 main spring and recoil spring. Without the springs in place the gears and piston seem to spin/mesh freely without any binding so I think the shimming is fine.

Once reassembled the gun will lock-up after a dozen or so shots, with the piston towards the rear. I'm guessing it's the interaction between the piston and the sector gear, but before I open up the gearbox to investigate can anyone give me any pointers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thnks for the responses. Here are my replies:

I have 4 different magazines and its been the same for every one. Never changed the barrel at all.

Megalo, if the air nozzle is out of alignment what do i do? how can i check and what causes the air nozzle to be damaged and what would it look like? I've had about 5000 rounds down the pipe through this one as the original owner

thanks everyone!