Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

I said about adding this to AK family because it could be added to any regular AK instead of the TM new V3 gearbox which can only be installed on the new TM AKs.

Could be nice since cyma doesnt seem to want to use their hybrid blowback on their AKs nor sell the gearbox alone for installation on regular AKs... =(

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

From what ive seen of the modify stuff, it could be good and i certianly believe in innovation above all else, so well done for being the first. Heck they send me one to my site and ill happily review it for them. But it definatly looked like a smaller version of the one in the sopmod, about half length fit in the buffer tube, bare in mind though i havent seen the installation video yet.. there for tremors instead of recoil.

The sopmod will all ways be better becuase it was completely redesigned, modifys doing a good job with version 2 but you can never remove design flaws only minimise them.

The next gen line from TM is exactly that, next gen.. the next generation of aeg, to replace the old style guns.. if you give TM enough time bearing in mind its first aeg was 17 years ago they will replace the older ones with these new ones in every shape and form. See you in 17 years ;) nah production methods have come on leaps and bounds also they are well established now, hopefully they see it as a time to make the guns they want to make rather than just making guns for the sake of expanding there line.

Take shot show 2010, i went through all the pics, hundreads of guns which have already been done. Just by a different manufacturer, and companies trying to grab a peice of the pie by churning out guns, none of which impress me becuase theres no innovation..

At least when TM do something the whole world wants to copy it ..

(Christ the thread is back up!lol)

The TM is definately the way forward, I'm so confident in mine Im selling all my other AEG's (will be slowly replacing them with various length M4 sopmods and other TM recoil range guns!)

IMO there are a few things holding it back in the airsoft community:

-It seems to be massively under represented by 3rd party parts makers!

-No one seems to know what 3rd party parts (ie rails etc) will fit it!

-Long Term reliability is only just starting to be talked about (and its great!)

-Thare are just so many cheap AEG's out there, and around 60% (if not more) of the airsoft market is aimed at the old Version 2 M4 range. Thats hard to stop, particularly as the manufacturers are making lots of cash off it still!

This reliance on old Tech can be seen in TM releaseing the G36 recoil, which uses the old mags.

I feel certain that TM have worked some kind of 'stop firing/bolt stop' function using proprietory mags for the new G36, which were probably shelved because of a slow start on the M4 sopmods, and people whinging about buying new mags! for gods sake they were damn cheap!

People need to be willing to spend a bit of cash in order to support the innovation!

Bit of a question about the Sopmod- gonna sound pretty dumb here but...

I know how to unscrew the flash hider, and I have, but I never know which way (screw on or screw off) the thread is named after... What Im trying to ask is, does the SOPMOD have a Clock Wise (CW) of Counter Clock wise (CCW) thread on the flash hider!?

Cheers

J.

Edited by Number5

are those from riot then ? Ill have to get in contact if they are? Any more info? At least i dont have to make any now lol ! You woundnt believe how much 50 sets for you guys would have cost me! I wonder what he worked out the ratio to be, stand aegs gears being 18, high torque 22, high speed 15 for example. I worked the sopmods out at 4 lol to be honest i dont know enough about it to work out why.

Mr Ezzy: please don't quote the pics in the reply's

Number 5: there wasn't much on SOP/COM stuff at all. My brother met the guy through a few mutual friends. -and he was too busy messing around with the real stuff to care.. ;)

Richard Y: yea, I think that's the same guy, (I don't know his online name) but, it's the same guy that makes the butterfly sector gear.

truthfully, I don't know when I'll be able to put the gear set in just yet. I've a more pressing matter with my original battery packs starting to burn out, and I'm looking at a replacement solution. -and I don't want to move to cut front barrel to go to lipo set-up yet... just too lazy to do that. thinking of modifying the existing OEM battery shell and installing new cells.

we'll see how that works out.

my battery mods getting quite popular, you can go 7.4v or 11.1v lipo with out having to rewire, and if your going to be cutting up your battery any way might be an option.

http://eagle6.co.uk/beta/reviews/how-to-gu...m4-with-recoil/

lipo chargers the imax ones are dirt cheap on ebay..

i can confirm riots now developing sets for the next gen series, dont think they are avilable just yet, the word prototype was used but i asked him to get hold of me when they are completely finished.

If he puts into place what hes told me, they will be considerably stronger than the standard set, also he confirmed they are a ratio of 20:1 compared to the 18:1 standard ratio, so of the cuff youll a tiny bit more torque there for less work for the motor, so in a heart beat you could prolong your battery life and make the gun turn over a little easier.

Im sure they will be on the pricey side but as sopmod owners we laugh in the face of high prices :P and then cry when they turn there backs..

Rails that require a dedicated barrel nut may work, but you need a lot of barrel washers to keep them in place:

I tried a KA Larue 9.0 and a Socom Gear DD Mk18 RIS II. The former worked ok, the latter needed rethreading, but BOTH needed Washers to keep the barrel nut in place.

And I couldn't find those washers, yet... :(

well, finally decided to rework one of my battery packs. now it's got a 9.6v Elite 1500NiMH pack in the OEM battery housing now.

:)

here's a question for the guys running 11V Lipo packs.

Do you get the gun feeling like it's cycling too fast for the recoil weight to keep up with the piston? (in full auto firing)

-on a full charge my new pack outputs at 11.3V until it runs down a bit. then it behaves a little better... but when you put it freshly charged in, the gun sounds and feels like it's out pacing the weight in the tube.

I'm not concerned in the semi auto mode, it's perfect right now, but just in full it feels a disconcerting.

anyone else experience this?

well i think due to the high torque motor and the gears it will always be a little slower than other guns rof wise, even with a lipo i dont see the gears rotaing fast enough, and if it did catch it mid cycle, all i see is it reducing the reocil amount, but if anything for me high rof has eqated to more recoil feeling.

If someone did think it was a problem they could just fit a double strength recoil spring, that would get the weight returning faster.

Ok all, the last guys question about which rails will fit and will not was fairly straight forward, but heres one thats a little bit harder!

Will this rail fit onto my SOCOM version!?

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=25912

and...If not, how much work is gonna be needed?

From what people have said, the threads on the receiver are standard TM!? So i would assume it will fit. Will almost definatley get a Madbull Ras fix at the same time, but I dont want to take the $110 plunge if im going to be left with a lump (a very pretty lump) of unusable metal!

Cheers

J.

well, I'm pretty sure the gun is no where near fast enough for the piston to catch up to the gears, but I do think the problem may be caused by the recoil weight return spring just not keeping up. (forgot about that thing, thanks Richard).

guess I just have to keep messing with it. ;)

Ok all, the last guys question about which rails will fit and will not was fairly straight forward, but heres one thats a little bit harder!

Will this rail fit onto my SOCOM version!?

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=25912

and...If not, how much work is gonna be needed?

From what people have said, the threads on the receiver are standard TM!? So i would assume it will fit. Will almost definatley get a Madbull Ras fix at the same time, but I dont want to take the $110 plunge if im going to be left with a lump (a very pretty lump) of unusable metal!

Cheers

J.

That rail fits just fine. You will however have to find a way to shim the barrel as it becomes free floating when that rail is installed and it WILL wobble in the barrel nut.

Nylon spacers can take care of the wobble and make your barrel rock solid again.

That rail fits just fine. You will however have to find a way to shim the barrel as it becomes free floating when that rail is installed and it WILL wobble in the barrel nut.

Nylon spacers can take care of the wobble and make your barrel rock solid again.

Thats brilliant that it will fit! hadnt thought about the barrel wobble problem...

These Nylon spaces your talking about any pics of them? or where I might pic some up, Or will I have to scratch build me some?

any chance of pic would be a great help too!

Cheers

J.

Edited by Number5