Gunfighters808

Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

I really should know that by now shouldn't I? Yet somehow the promise of more accuracy or velocity or consistency always persuades me to start tinkering...

Thanks to all who contributed. I have incorporating winding the stock tube back a notch and that's probably helping. Also improved shimming and AoE. Oh well, it's all knowledge hard earned. :)

Haha nice work hatchet.

Yeah motor up and down movement could be a pig sometimes. And finding where it's catching on equally annoying.

Haha do I need supply's of arls now lol

No, I may have jumped the gun on that a bit. It looks like the sopmod ARL does look different from standard - a flat end rather than curved. Suspect I should probably replace the pinion gear though, mines a little shagged.

I think the smaller of the two screws in the pistol grip may have threaded its hole a bit too. Any fixes for this other than getting a new grip?

I shall bear that in mind. Although given the mess I've made just with gears, etc, using superglue might be asking for trouble. ;)

Love it 5 years and 100 pages late .. Yet actually what this thread was intended for haha

It's a great gun menz , retails about 450gbp I think

You might as well assume 500 though with battery. Expensive bit of kit but there's a lot of love for the platform. Solid performance out of the box.

Nah. I think you'd be better off with a secondhand SOPMOD (they're very attractively priced these days) than a firsthand R43. Did they ever get the bolt-lock working on those from the factory?

I think on the r45 they did ..

I prefer the Sopmod but I know not everyone can stump up that kinda cash for new.

Keep any eye on the forums for a second hand deal.

At this rate mine'll be up for a bargain price. Jammed it after about 10 rounds today. Mnng. It has to be motor depth/position, because if I hold it in fires fine, but I cannot for the life of me get it right otherwise. I've shimmed and reshimmed it to death. I'm seriously considering buying an old TM AK47 and just using that. Bah.

On that note though, anyone know if it's possible to fit a motor cage (of any sort) to the sopmod? I realise you wouldn't use it long term, but it would at least help try to remove some of the possible problems for troubleshooting purposes.

I think the grip is good. Front screw is largely without thread, but the back seems to do the bulk of the work. I might see if I can see a second hand original from someone who's fitted an aftermarket instead. I have a CA High Torque (allegedly) motor kicking about, which I *think* I tried to the same effect, but I may have another crack at that tomorrow.

It's all starting to go wrong with my poor wee SOPMOD. After 2 years of near flawless use the front section is wobbly, the magazine stop has gone iffy, accuracy is inconsistent and jam frequency is slowly getting higher. I haven't got the nerve to pull the thing apart of fix it all so I'll be waiting for it to fall apart in my hands before finally retiring it.

2 years though. Its done well.

Yezwhat? Almost all of your problems are probably due to parts loosened by recoil. Get a screwdriver out and save yourself the thick end of £500! You can ask this thread (or PM any of us, I should think) if you want guidance on how to button it all up.

Haha even my brand new vw caddy needs servicing every year.

2 years with no looking at ain't bad though .. Not bad at all. You'd think you would get a jam from dirty barrel at the very least.

When I tend to approach repairs hatchet, I try and start with anything that's broken, the screw that doesn't thread is a concern maybe get a new m3 pan head a little longer maybe get into some new thread, it's drill all the way through so plenty more in there.

Ha, I suppose I should just man up and sort the damn thing... 

Just been looking over your site and I figure I may as well do it properly. Are you ordering any more of those M100 springs at all?

It's all starting to go wrong with my poor wee SOPMOD. After 2 years of near flawless use the front section is wobbly, the magazine stop has gone iffy, accuracy is inconsistent and jam frequency is slowly getting higher. I haven't got the nerve to pull the thing apart of fix it all so I'll be waiting for it to fall apart in my hands before finally retiring it.

2 years though. Its done well.

Was this with just a completely stock set up with no mods done by the user? Mine has been chugging for a bit longer than that and still is. 2 year is still  no slouch though. The annoying thing for me is the stock tube getting loose. The front part is easy work

Was this with just a completely stock set up with no mods done by the user? Mine has been chugging for a bit longer than that and still is. 2 year is still  no slouch though. The annoying thing for me is the stock tube getting loose. The front part is easy work

The only 'mod' I did was to wrap some electrical tape around the stock pipe to stop the crane stock wobbling. Never wanted to risk busting it completely.

[edit] Hurray! Page 222.

Edited by BoggyB

Getting a new lock ring is probably the most important upgrade you can do.

What does it do, keep the buffer tube from getting loose? How is it different from the stock one? Just curious by looking at a pic of it and wondering how it works. It's out of stock at echigoya though

If I'm wanting to boost my velocity and range a bit am I best going for an m100 spring on it's own or an m90 with a new barrel and hop rubber? I'm needing to keep under 350 fps and from what I can tell either option should get me to about 330.

If I'm wanting to boost my velocity and range a bit am I best going for an m100 spring on it's own or an m90 with a new barrel and hop rubber? I'm needing to keep under 350 fps and from what I can tell either option should get me to about 330.

M90 and a bearing spring guide will get you to that , no need to mess around with new inners and the hop .

• Like 1