Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

DesertFoxRomel,

that's pretty much it... -you got how it works.

and if you listen closely, yes, it does have the 'boing'. ;)

OK, here's some of the "more later"

DSC03050.jpg

after you take out the allen screw on the bottom you can access the magazine capacity block/switch. kinda nice.

about the rail hand guard, the OEM unit is using the locking arm with the two 'teeth' to lock into the spoke ring. (I don't know what it's called)

it's really secured! better than a lot of the aftermarket ones out there, and there's

NO flex anywhere on this gun!

CIMG6231.jpg

CIMG6232.jpg

magazine latch seems to have a longer spring, and different lock orientation.

CIMG6236.jpg

pistol grip and motor are regular M4/16

CIMG6233.jpg

OK! take down is only by the removal of the FRONT body pin.

afterwards it slides back like a CA type mechbox. however, the Charging Handle is attached to the mechbox. so it slides out with everything.

careful, there are little springs, and bits there.

CIMG6242.jpg

DSC03055.jpg

DSC03056.jpg

here is the hop unit. seems to be some mix of a AUG and G3 within a new housing. comes with a nice part in the back that seems to seal up nice with the box.

DSC03067.jpg

DSC03074.jpg

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

here is some pics of the lower part of the mechbox, as you can see, there seems to contain the same gear set as found in the AK74MN, a 'infinite torque-up' style gear set. along with an extended anti-reversal latch.

DSC03059.jpg

DSC03063.jpg

so far, that's all I've had time to do..

the gear set is a problem. bushings are standard 6mm

(plastic), don't know about the piston yet. from what I've heard, it may be a standard unit. but, we'll see.

the stock tube is a problem with the recoil guts in there, and you have to take it apart to take down the mechbox.

more later!

nice pics and review mate, looks great.

Q: You mentioned that both this and the TM AK74 have a "infinite torque up gearset". What velocity you reckon you can upgrade either gun safely without killing it?

btw, the proper name for the "spoke wheel" is a barrel nut ;) The RIS and the barrel set up looks very similar to my CA M4, which is also very solid.

Cheers,

Romel

Edited by DesertFoxRomel

Pinnacle Airsoft upgraded one of these today to 370 fps and a custom 9.6 battery in the stock. the spring is shorter and will NOT work with existing springs unless you trim about an inch off it, the piston runs out of room and there is not enough physical room for the piston to retract resulting in a lock up.

Hendrix, would you happen to have a parts list from Pinnacle on what they put in? and if the piston is different from standard. a pic on that would be nice ;) thanks!

Romel, thanks for the clarification :)

personally, from working on the 74MNs, I would not recommend pushing more than mid 300's range. it may be torque style gears, but it's still the AL/potmetal mix casting for the gears. keep it on the safe side. rather than push it too hard then have a really nice paper weight.

Damn! Echigoya now FETs the Sopmod!? I wonder where they squeeze that in!? I've got Extreme Fire's AB-FET and think that's too big to fit into the SOPMOD & am checking if it's easy to re-wire to the front. I'm also trying to figure out how to remove/separate the front outer barrel from the upper receiver. The barrel collar nut simply won't unscrew.

[actually, I better work out if I know how to re-assemble my Sopmod together after taking those pictures :-P]

2 B honest, I doubt it. AFAIK, they've always (officially) marketed their products to be 8.4 (for AEG) or 7.2 (for AEP). Anything higher has usually been 3rd party. They could have done 9.6V upfront with the Sopmod but didn't.

My colleague has already added the 8th cell to his Sopmod and it works although little durability tests has been performed.

Edited by AnakChan

One of my favorite guns is the TM Type-89. I would get one but can't. Reason being is the lack of internal parts. The same holds true for the TM Ak74. ATM I havent heard any plans for upgrade parts i.e. gears, pistons, batteries, etc.... Seeing as this new systema uses alot of proprietary parts I would be a bit worried to get this without some kind of support.

Does anyone know of confirmation about upgrade parts as of yet?

Well, now that TM has a few models out with these gears I think the aftermarket will pick up.

Also, I bet I could buy 8 ELITE 1500 NIMH cells from cheapbatterypacks.com and take them down to my local battery store and have them solder/weld the battery together.

Now... The choices of what gun to get this year just got a lot more complicated.

Thanks! So from what I gathered, does the mechanism work like this?:

1. Piston is forward in the resting position, and the recoil weight is in the center if the buffer tube

2. User pulls trigger, piston moves back, and at the half way point, the piston makes contact with the recoil weight rod and pushes it back

3. At the end of the stroke, the sector gear lets go of the piston, piston slams forward and fires BB, and the recoil weight, no longer being held back by the piston goes forward and is eventually slowed down and stopped by the second spring

4. The recoil weight eventually stops in center, restarting from step one

Can someone who has one of these please disassemble it and confirm how it works?

also, does it have the recoil spring *boing* like the real steel? :P

A little more about the blowback. There's actually a wall in the buffer tube for the spring guide to "rest" on. i.e. the spring guide does not rest on the cylindrical blowback weight at all. So on the "front" side of the wall is the spring guide/piston/mechbox, etc., meanwhile on the other side of the wall in the buffer tube is the recoil weight. The wall has a hole in it so that the recoil weight rod can pass through it, through the spring guide into the piston.

So upon release of the piston, the recoil weight actually slams against the wall in the buffer tube (because the 2nd shorter spring (NGM4-36 in the TM catalogue) on the other side of the recoil weight is pushing the weight forward. I guess changing that shorter spring could increase the blowback feel. But that depends on how strong that wall is too.

Now as for power, standard power springs are usable and ratings apply. In fact my Hurricane M100 is running somewhat too "hot" for my country at 377fps. But this is also with a PDI 6.01mm 375mm length inner barrel. I guess I'll be moving to a 90ms spring.

P.S. to answer Laleme's question about using the SystemA Turbo, yes I believe you can as long as your power spring is within the standard Turbo limits (M120).

Edited by AnakChan
Me, well, I'm gonna pass on this one and wait for Marui to release the blowback MP5 that they patented the internals for at the same time they patented the internals for this new blowback M4. I always have had a thing for MP5s and I don't think I'll have to wait more than 6 months to a year for Marui to come out with the new blowback version.

Well - count me on that bandwagon too - I would LOVE a TM EBB MP5-SD3

A little more about the blowback. There's actually a wall in the buffer tube for the spring guide to "rest" on. i.e. the spring guide does not rest on the cylindrical blowback weight at all. So on the "front" side of the wall is the spring guide/piston/mechbox, etc., meanwhile on the other side of the wall in the buffer tube is the recoil weight. The wall has a hole in it so that the recoil weight rod can pass through it, through the spring guide into the piston.

So upon release of the piston, the recoil weight actually slams against the wall in the buffer tube (because the 2nd shorter spring (NGM4-36 in the TM catalogue) on the other side of the recoil weight is pushing the weight forward. I guess changing that shorter spring could increase the blowback feel. But that depends on how strong that wall is too.

Now as for power, standard power springs are usable and ratings apply. In fact my Hurricane M100 is running somewhat too "hot" for my country at 377fps. But this is also with a PDI 6.01mm 375mm length inner barrel. I guess I'll be moving to a 90ms spring.

P.S. to answer Laleme's question about using the SystemA Turbo, yes I believe you can as long as your power spring is within the standard Turbo limits (M120).

Deeply appreciate it. Thanks :D

edit: Do you mind shooting it from a bench rest or some sandbags onto paper to gage the accuracy? I've always been wondering if the piston moving at the same time as the recoil weight have any effect on accuracy.

Cheers,

Romel

Edited by DesertFoxRomel