Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Well, depends how seamless you want the end result to be and how good you are with various tools.  Also MFT offer many stocks so that doesn't give me anything to work by.  If the stock was a primary concern you'd have been better off with the SOCOM since all the rest are rear wired.

How hard is it to rewire it to the front?

I have this one on the way home for lipo storage!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371520592689

Let´s hope that an An/peq lipo fits in that pouch.

Im thinking about cut an garmain foretrex 101 dummy in half to put on top of the lipo.

size of an Foretrex 101

Physical dimensions 3.3" x 1.7" x 0.9" (8.4 x 4.3 x 2.3 cm) Edited by CALLAHAN_88

'Hard' is a subjective term based on your experience working on AEGs.  I'd imagine if you buy the wiring loom for the SOCOM it's not much more difficult than any other wiring job on an electric gun, there's a couple of extra considerations with the bolt catch parts and routing around the hop-unit etc but I know plenty of people out there have done it.

You'll need to desolder/resolder the wires for the trigger switch, also you'll need to sort out some bullet connectors and very thin wire to go from the gearbox through the gap in the barrel/upper.  Normal 16AWG stuff won't fit.  

It's relatively straightforward, but if you're set on front wiring you might as well just buy a SOCOM for less money and already have it front wired. 

It is very hard to get the recce rail off so much so that I ended buying a new upper and outer to go with my new rail so if your wanting to front wire a recce bear this in mind if you want to get the wires through the rail or put the battery inside the rail.

Is there any way to get a CNC buffer tube right now? Maybe some collective order that I don't know of? And ARS is realy not making them anymore? It's really hard to believe, that there is not one manufacturer willing to make something so sought after.

On a different topic, is there any demand for Sopmod high speed gears? I'd like to have some for an even better trigger response in combination with an extreme high torque motor. I know that a high rof doesn't go well together with a Sopmod, but for that there's the BTC Spectre mosfet to downregulate the rof. But in terms of trigger response that would be really nice and I play semi 90% of the time anyways. If there are enough people (>100), maybe we could convince Siegetek Concepts to make some.

That is true, I was more talking about the complete gear cycle itself and the sound it makes. It still makes a difference, since the gear turning sound after the shot is somewhat drowned out by the noice of the recoil mechanism, but I think a faster total gear cycle would still sound a little bit cleaner. But of course I'm aware that this is complaining on quite a high level ^^

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, you can short stroke the gears, thats how I sorted the trigger lag.

To be honest I have a SHS hi speed on it, the trigger lag is negligible, considering by the time I pull the trigger the motor has pulled the piston back and has fired.  Not that far away from my GBBRs.  It does depend if you want that hair trigger feeling, which is not really that realistic anyways.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, 

Can anyone advise me which makes & models of aftermarket ambidextrous bolt release catches fit the TM's Recoil Shock M4 AEGs? I've been looking at Brownells' ar15 ambidextrous bolt release (like the one below), but I'd like to know the experiences others have had fitting this sort of accessory before I commit to my purchase...

p_100011190_2.jpg

With thanks, 

Josh

I found PTS and RS BAD levers would hit on the lower receiver inside the trigger guard before the bolt release could swing out far enough to engage, so you'd keep firing on empty most times.  That'll vary depending on the exact length and angles of the item in question though.