Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Last weekend I've tried the Eagle6 m85 spring in my socom version. Following the instuction video (many thanks for this!!!) it was easy to install. After the insallation, I did some chrono testing and it clocked around 318 fps (with hopup).

Now yesterday, I've bought some thread lock for the piston head, so I've opened the sopmod again. Before I closed it up, I noticed that the sealing inside the cylinder wasen't that great (compared to my g&p) so I used some silicone lube on the piston O-ring. I closed it, tested it and now it shoots around 334 fps with the same spring and hopup setting.

My guess if I could seal it like my g&p it would shoot even better with the same setup. Anybody tried other piston O-rings?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

thats quite an improvement ! i alwyas expand my o rings and test for seals when im inside, to be honest they are usually fine with the tm o ring. that said i think im running the promethus piston head and seal.

318 ish was what i designed the m85 for so im glad it went well for ya, i wanted a spring less than 320 so "if" someone fitted upgrades they wouldnt go over 330 for some site limits.. but its unfortunaly not an exact science lol

I made the m85 at the request of the people wanting one for 328fps site limits, out of the springs ive sold maybe 10% have been the m85, everyone wants 350 fps and the m100, i think its an interesting fact that so many asked for less than 330 but when i look back at what sopmod owners are actually ordering it paints a different story. lol just a useless random fact :)

I think I didn't use the right words about the sealing of the piston O-ring :)

What I meant to say is that in my G&P, when I put my thumb on the nozzle, I can't push the piston al the way. In my tm, when I use some good force the piston goes all the way. So the sealing on my sopmod is good, but it could be even better :)

TM should start making a new m16a1 with this gearbox. I usually play Vietnam-style airsoft, but since this sopmod...

dude i totally agree, i know many people waiting for a m16a1 or a2, anyone from japan heard of any new releases on the horrizon ?

If you dont want to wait, the tm vn full stock should slide on then you secure it in place with a long bolt througgh the end cap on the stock pipe. Then fit a gandp vn front end.. and a carry handle.. only the purist would be able to spot the reciever being from a m4.

Mine didnt compress on my gun so its about as good as it gets, if you want to make it better, put the o ring around the cylinder and gently apply heat..

Anyone interested in buying SOPMOD mags? Figured it's a specialty item. I have (8) mags, all used 2-3 times each. Moving to AEG mags for interchangability with my team mates. All 8 for $165 shipped in the US or $90 for (4) of them shipped in the US.

Richard, fyi

Echigoya did a A3/4 version with a full front handguard and fixed stock. I think they only do it as requests. I just want to see the stock and see how much they cut out and where they had to add reinforcement. (seeing as they have to leave the buffer tube on, or else they gotta make a new tube.) I think it was in their ad in ARMS Jan & Feb.

and nice job on the electrical problem find. it's always stressful when a gremlin decides to jump into something ;)

cheers dude, that Echigoya place certainly gets up to some stuff! sounds like the kinda place id get one well at hehehehe if only i had the resources hehe

gremlins still there on that gun picked it up the other day problems back, reshimed it still there.. tried less turns on the buffer tube and more turns on the buffer tube ie lengthen and shorting the potential travel distance o nthe piston. none fixed the locking up so i hooked up a 9.6v nimh battery from a normal aeg direct to the wires without the funky connector and it worked, not only did it work its astonishingly fast when you minus the connector on the end.. sopomd realy benifits from a rewire and ditching the quick change.. you can see why the small lipos on the front wire power the guns without anyproblem!

i dont really have a choice im making a new style of connector to go on the stock pipe something that has more chance of pushing up into the metal bar in the stock pipe.. its the only thing i can think of the fact that it works on the aeg battery direct but add the connecotr and sopmod stock and battery it doesnt..

i mean it could be the guys batterys but at first it didnt work on my lipo either..

ive had requests for replacment connectors becuase they are a direct part from tm, so if i could find a way to make new ones it might help people out.

calling all airsofters in osaka !

http://www.dsiclub.com/event_ssj.html

2010 shot show in osaka and TM have a booth!

april the 24th and 25th

when you get there demand more next gen guns lol we should start a petition on which ones we want!! lol

i want to see an mp5 with recoil hehe or some vietnam versions

lol i dunno we will make virtual petition and make tm read all million pages of this thread..

semi auto lock up topic again

while im waiting for the grilfriend to leave so i can continue loud airsoft noises, i wanted to check that the stock its self wasnt at fault maybe a broken connect which intermitently touched..

heres the internals of the stock

semiautolockup1.jpg

thick metal bars, in hindsight an easier approach might have been to remove them from there holder and place a thin layer of ptf or something underneath and rasie them by 1mm or 2mm. AS you can see there is potential for the metal to wear over time. in theory the connector on a spring should rise and fall but if it was doing it all right we wouldnt have problems.

also fuse / battery connector contacts arnt physically connected once again we have another little connector, the contacts are simply resting on the metal bars... i mean if that isnt touching properly yet another point that could cuase a bad connection.

Also a little black piece of plastic fell out from inside the stock its broken off from somewhere inside, obviously from use its taken a hit and for whatever reason it decided to fall off, cant see what it did the metal bars slot back in fine so fingers crossed.. but you never know what if everyone with semi auto lockup has a tiny bit of broken plastic stuck in there stock giving them a bad connection..

The mind boggles..

Richard,

you might want to check for any corrosion on any surface (like the dark parts by the back battery connection that touches the connector rails, (can't see if it's just discoloration, melted plastic, or some sort of oxidation.

I've encountered the electrical gremlin in a lot of the AEP's due to corrosion (usually by player forgetting battery in gun for a while) or it could be due to moisture/ humidity where the player is/lives that can do it too..

also, did you check the recoil weight in the tube? I've seen a few with miss-installed weights that get the groove all messed up, that has affected a lock-up as well. -when the plastic runner on the weight gets chewed up a bit.

anything with the batteries for that gun too? maybe have a bad cell or short in the pack.

yeah all checked, even if there was corrosion if its pushing hard agasint it it should get round it with the moving stock. i just think its not pushing agasint it enough somewhere. ill crack it though

like i say it works fine if i by pass the end connector and stock. so guns good its just not getting enough power to perform single shots reliably

been a mission but it was definalty the height of the connectors i tried other stocks and altering the bars in the original one.. in the end i made a new contact to replace the half broken one as it needed doing really anyway. The new one was a bit higher, and soldiering to it was little harder due to the metal it was made from but eventually once a had decent soldier contacts and also increased the height of the orignal one to match it worked ... and faster than my sopmod i might add.. so ill be looking at mine next.

If you do try to increase the height of your connectors just becarefull the metal they use will flex about once or twice any more its will snap.

I did notice the higher connector becuase its pushing harder agasint the stock has removed some of the stock wobble ! double bonus

obviously im guna have to take it out in the garden tomorow and quite litrally roll around with it or something lol to make sure the connections dont break through use..

couple more pics

semiautolockup2.jpg

semiautolockup3.jpg

Isamu, thats a good spot, glad they are producing some better Lipo batts (C rating) in smaller sizes!

That looks perfect for fitting in a rail system!

If you pick it up, let us know how you go on.

As for the C rating of 20C, I;d say thats fine. the Lipo Im using says its C rating is 25C and I've had no problems with it!

Other people might disagree with me.

Besides, and correct me if I'm wrong, Isnt the advertised C rating only the initial 'Burst' power from the battery and then it settles to somthing lower? ie a 20C rated batt would go to around 15C... I may have gotten this last bit completly wrong, but I'm no expert.

But in answer to your question, as above, a 20 C should be fine!!! My 25C is perfect and I wont be changing!

J.

Edited by Number5

I wont be getting one anytime soon, my socom should be shipped in the next days from UNcompany and I want to use my 9.6v Ni/Mh for a while before changing to lipos as I have some of them with little use, not to mention buying the socom left me dead broke :lol: but I admit those lipos would be perfect for the socom and mp5k with M4 stock :(

Any suppliers out there selling pre moded 9.6v batteries with the new style sopmod connectors. I could do it myself with some new Nimh cells but feeling a little lazy.

Anyone got better pictures of the new RichardY lipo packs, last pictures I saw did look a little too ghetto

been a mission but it was definalty the height of the connectors

Used the Sopmod again today at the new UCAP Virus site, and although I'm pretty happy with the performance I'm still getting random lockups in single shot.

You sure this mod to the connector has cured the problem. I may look at modding the tracks to sit slightly higher as you suggest in an earlier post.

hehe ghetto batterys, love it

Eagle6Mk3lipo2.jpg

Limited supply as well i can only make as many as i have those little FAUX battery connectors..

got 5 left once they go someone will have to send me theres from there box if they want one made.

increasing the height of the contacts is the best way.. just use some pliers and make them higher..

im waiting on an order of plastic when it arrives ill cut some new connectors and mount some ally strips on top higher than the standard ones.

upgraded sopmod stock pipe connector.. i just have a way with product names dont i... a lot of thought goes into them.

Edited by Richard Y

although I'm pretty happy with the performance I'm still getting random lockups in single shot.

me too mate (last wknd at dragon valley) was using a 9.6v1600 batt with mini tamiya" but am changing over too deans conectors at the mo and li-po some time in the near future (as suggested by rich y ;) ), will post up if it helps .

Just curious guys this is a cad drawing of the next part im making this week. Obviously its still subject to testing, and making sure it actually increases the recoil feeling of the sopmod... but the theorys sound...

Basically the current weights 300g if i increase it to 600g, Travel remains the same 2 inchs, and i have a choice of two return springs 1 std strength and 1 twice that of the standard strength for testing.

Im hoping it will add more to the recoil, as thats a substantial weight increase

any way heres a pic of it in cad form before it goes on the cnc machine mid week.

Let me know now if you guys think this is a waste of time lol! It much cheaper if i just do one! lol

recoilunit2010.jpg