Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Are you running an 11.1 Kong power?

Any pics of your setup?

How was fitting the Socom gear Rail? easy? need shimming etc?

Cheers

J.

I'm running the 7.4V x 1100 Kong Power.

The rifle is in a package in the depot of Berget Event, waiting for me to arrive next week :D No pics.

The Socom Gear barrel nut would not fit, so I had to rethread the receiver - lots of effort!

The it also needed about 5 large barrel lock shimms in order for the new barrel nut to keep the barrel in place.

By comparision a King Arms Larue rail also required barrel nut shimms, but no rethreading.

New spares at ehobbyasia

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=MAGIC+BOX+upgrade+Parts&x=0&y=0&limit=all

Theyd better surpass prometheus BY FAR or im not going to spend more money on a new brand...

Pssst...but they're not new :-). http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=158786&view=findpost&p=2324381

And you replied to that one too...it's just the same Magic Box kit split up.

Pssst...but they're not new :-). http://www.arniesair...dpost&p=2324381

And you replied to that one too...it's just the same Magic Box kit split up.

Oh my... sorry, i must be getting old :(

I will post a pic of my socom, nothing fancy, just some little "touches of distinction", Now I must save for an ASAP swivel and will be externally complete :)

m4-socom.jpg

It's been up in the picture threads for a while, but I thought I'd put my second SOCOM in here to, since I do rather enjoy customising these things:

P1000293.jpg

I think it's the challenge of working on something that's regarded as being so limited and lacking in parts compared to standard AR-15 AEGs. I think an M16 length rifle might be next on the list but that's probably going to be a lot more complicated to do than the CQB-R if I do it properly.

The Magpul ASP like attachment point seems now to be available:

http://www.wgcshop.c...ase&catid=&cat=

OMG!nosleep.gif 46 bucks for that? what are they smoking? I prefer buying an ACM ASAP and dremmel it for like... 10 minutes? im sure even real steel ASAPs are much cheaper

BTW people, do you know if its possible to install an M16 full stock? im fancying a future DMR build of an M4 with a full stock and a 13" larue rail... possible? im not the crafty type, just enough for easy things :)

EDIT: just a question people, does your motor bounces into the pistol grip? mine does with the Dboys HK416 grip and TM stock one, not a lot, but its a bit annoying. Is it bad for the gears or motor?

Edited by Isamu

I'm running the 7.4V x 1100 Kong Power.

The rifle is in a package in the depot of Berget Event, waiting for me to arrive next week :D No pics.

The Socom Gear barrel nut would not fit, so I had to rethread the receiver - lots of effort!

The it also needed about 5 large barrel lock shimms in order for the new barrel nut to keep the barrel in place.

By comparision a King Arms Larue rail also required barrel nut shimms, but no rethreading.

Was it a real PITA to re thread it? did you use the madbull re-threading device or your own key/die/chuck (what ever you wanna call it ;) )

I really wanna fit a DD RIS II onto a CQB-R SOPMOD! its shame about the none compatible threads.

With using the Barrel lock shimms, is there much or any of a gap between the ris and the Receiver?

Also (I know Im asking ALOT! :) ) any links to the 7.4v Kong power lipos that fit the RIS II? I read the biggest you could fit was a 110mmx20mmx7mm, that true?

Cheers

J.

CKinnerly- Nice looking gat!

@ Elanaiba- Its a VLTOR gas block and front sight.

Edited by Number5

Was it a real PITA to re thread it? did you use the madbull re-threading device or your own key/die/chuck (what ever you wanna call it ;) )

I really wanna fit a DD RIS II onto a CQB-R SOPMOD! its shame about the none compatible threads.

I don't know about the other RIS II clones (STAR for example comes with two separate barrel threads) - maybe they fit.

I used the rail's own barrel nut to rethread the receiver + plus a stock pipe ring wrench to turn it. Its a PITA indeed, but its much easier if you can fix the upper receiver somehow (for example I had a vise holding something that attaches to the rail, thus keeping the receiver in place). Also you need not rethread it all the way as I did, only part of it.

With using the Barrel lock shimms, is there much or any of a gap between the ris and the Receiver?

there is a small gap indeed, 1-2 mm. I'll have to take a pic.

Also (I know Im asking ALOT! :) ) any links to the 7.4v Kong power lipos that fit the RIS II? I read the biggest you could fit was a 110mmx20mmx7mm, that true?

http://fire-support....-split-battery-

The question is - what model it is airsoft terms. Link at something to buy - wgcshop, etc. Thanks though, I'll have a look.

LE: Got it :)

Edited by elanaiba

CKinnerley - what front sight post / gas block is that?

CKinnerly- Nice looking gat!

Thanks mate, cost a few bob and some minor dinks to my 1st SOCOM figuring out how it all works but I'm happy with the result, the inner barrel is too short right now but even still it's shooting quite nicely for a 280fps CQBR. I keep thinking I should get in to the GB and get it closer to 320-330 but I've no idea whether the stock internals will manage ok with that.

And yes, VLTOR style gas block, mine is the King Arms model. You can have them for $25 at tokyo model right now, and personally I think they're ideal. Nice construction quality, solid flip-up front sight, 20mm rail on top, QD sling points on both sides, takes standard gas tubes nicely and does a good job of keeping the handguard cap in place. Considering a G&P KAC style gas block/sight is $50 and offers an awful lot less features that makes the KA a winner in my books. Of course getting the stock front sight off was a bit of a mystery with the hidden grub screw and I rather damaged my 1st SOCOM's barrel but it's covered up alright now.

Heh ... the mistery of that screw :)

You have to remove the inner barrel, and then insert the allen wrench through the hole - all the way to the other side of the outer barrel. It's there.

Like CK, I found out the hard way... but no real damage :D

Elanaiba- Thanks for all that pal! I was actually just looking at the Star Version, will have to find some reviews of the piece, if I can find one, to see what its like! And the x2 Locking nuts look promising!

I suppose re-threading with the nut itself is always a possibility though! better than shelling out $30 plus postage for the madbull re-threading device that I'll use once!!

Now all I have to do is find either a decent review of the Star version or find a retailer with the Socom gear version in stock!! I defiantely think Im going to fit one though. I spent alot of time fitting a MOE fore grip, G&P delta ring,sights etc and now I want something new! damn airsoft!

If only I could afford another SOCOM and all the parts... DO I really need my car...? :rolleyes:

CKinnerly- Im using one of Richad Y's Eagle 6 springs, on standard internals, its pushing out 335FPS on the nose and its running fine! no problems after around 2000 rounds.

Heh ... the mistery of that screw :)

You have to remove the inner barrel, and then insert the allen wrench through the hole - all the way to the other side of the outer barrel. It's there.

Like CK, I found out the hard way... but no real damage :D

Heh, aye it sure confused me until I did the un-manly thing and looked at the manual :P Really not sure why they put a grub screw inside the outer barrel like that, really had me scratching my head for a long while.

CKinnerly- Im using one of Richad Y's Eagle 6 springs, on standard internals, its pushing out 335FPS on the nose and its running fine! no problems after around 2000 rounds.

Hmm.. well that is very intriguing, with the good design of the hop unit the range is actually pretty good already but clocking it up the extra ~50fps would definitely help I reckon, for the sake of a simple spring change I may well go for that, thanks marte.

holds up fine to upgrades.. im waiting for the recce rifle to be released mid summer and then youll see a sopmod at 425fps lol well and truely putting any fears about the guns internals to rest.

Yes to the m16 full stock... im converting the recce rifle to full stock when i get it, as usual ill do some sort of video or something showing how.

side note those upgraded electrical bars for the sopmod if anyone wants any from diamond ring let me know before those recce rifles are released for when i order them and ill add any sopmod upgrade parts on top of the order.

mrezzy if your worried about guage vs size, your best to go for some fancy silver coated wire, its thinner but carrys more current with a harder coating.

Prometheus and modify do some

With regards the high effificience contact bars, who knows! its litterally only just been released all i know is i really want to keep the quick change system but that it needs improving!

so if adding theres contact bars improves it in the slightest im all for it !

dr100531.png

RRP on them is 2400 yen which is about 17 - 18 pounds GBP

Ill be honest when it comes to the sopmod upgrade parts seem to be really expensive... its pretty harsh.. ill get them as cheap as i can and pass on as much discount as i can guys and the usual cheap shipping..

Anak mate can you translate this at all ?

I don't have a beauty shot of my carbine (yet) but here's a mix of some photos taking during a training session.

carbinemix.jpg

Socom carbine lower with Magpul PTS CTR stock, and the upper is from my old Sopmod, with Laylax 10.5" barrel and Socom Gear DD RIS II + a bunch of other stuff.

Who needs power when you can look dangerous and Bang-kill people?

errr.... yes... lipo in the handguard - the above mentioned Kong Power 7.4V Lipo. Fits very well. No modding required except all that I mentioned (rail + barrel) and new connectors - I also dropped the fusebox.

Edited by elanaiba

I noted that the regular socom carbine outer barrel is thicker than the one in AEGs? is the laylax as thick as the socom's or is more like a regular AEG's? the new connectors were banan type, werent they?

Thanks for the reference pics and making me remember how much beeing poor suck :lol: