Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

I don't have a beauty shot of my carbine (yet) but here's a mix of some photos taking during a training session.

carbinemix.jpg

Socom carbine lower with Magpul PTS CTR stock, and the upper is from my old Sopmod, with Laylax 10.5" barrel and Socom Gear DD RIS II + a bunch of other stuff.

Ok.. Let me see if I understand you correctly...

Its the lower receiver from you TM SOCOM, with PTS CTR.

And the Upper receiver, is that from a TM SOPMOD or are you saying its a regular M4 upper receiver? or have I completely confused things?! :D

Also, Regarding the fuse box, was it just the box you dropped or the whole fuse!? if so, what are peoples thoughts on removing fuse's?

J.

Nice setup by the way!

P.S; Elanaiba, How does she shoot!?

Edited by Number5
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

It's the upper from a Marui M4 Sopmod - same series of guns ... I bought the SOCOM when I ruined the threading on the buffer tube/lower receiver on my SOPMOD. I loved the gun, so I had to buy a new one.

so I modded the upper of the SOPMOD since it was useless, while the SOCOM carbine upper is stock (14.5" barrel etc) - only with regular KAC RIS instead of the M4 handguards.

RE: fuse - I didn't have space for the fuse inside the rails, so I removed it. Actually I just produced a new set of end wires, that went straight from the small crimped connectors to a Deans male.

Re: How does it shoot? Good, but not stellar. I'm using Twist barrels in my guns and to shine, they need to be pushed to ~100m/s. Will get there ;)

I had an old gun (CA M15A2 carbine) pushed at precisely 100m/s with a 363mm twist barrel - tack driver nailing everything inside 50m. So I have a high standard.

Edited by elanaiba

ive been leaving mine fairly standard since i got mine what year and a half ago ? dunno its been a while. It always works.. its so reliable i didnt want to rewire or defuse as it was so reliable and jinx its greatness. But with the new recce coming which ill rewire i think the time may well be here for a monsterous rewire and mosfet on my sopmod. ive gone off the mosfets of late due to there silly prices... someone out theres making a killing.. but i may try and source a small one for this project.

Ill start with a fuse removal on the sopmod from the standard stock. Then fit the upgraded bars and my new upgraded connector which ill do my self out of some copper. That should sort out the connection.. ill stick with my funky quick change bats as i kinda like umm.. i just think that stock pipe connector is the weak point.

heres a pic of me and mine since we seem to be having a picture fest

seee standard out sides, i run sleeper guns... standard on the outside, pimped on the inside.

richsopmodmulti1.jpg

Re: How does it shoot? Good, but not stellar. I'm using Twist barrels in my guns and to shine, they need to be pushed to ~100m/s. Will get there ;)

I have a Richard Y 100m/s spring and im looking for an improved barrel, update us when you make the sopmod shoot at those 100m/s with a koba twist barrel, pliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzz wub.gif

actually i just done some measurements the only way to get a fet in the standard sopmod would be to fit the fet in the ris, which would mean coming out of the gearbox with wiring to the ris then back again to the motor and to the battery, i reckon all that wirings going to be an *albartroth* just for a mosfet... i think id rather just try and sqeeze as much juice out of the current lipos as i can..

oh has anyone got a spare sopmod faux battery cap they dont want they can post me ? theres a fiver of cold hard paypal cash in it for them if they do ;) Still waiting on a bulk order of them.. which will probably never show, and ive used my one up for someone elses battery..

Edited by Richard Y

seee standard out sides, i run sleeper guns... standard on the outside, pimped on the inside.

Good point. As much as I like the way my guns look, once in game that all takes a back seat to how they perform. If they suck, I just look down disapprovingly at it like a disappointed father. :P Those guns get wall hanged quick.

Just realized you installed a BAD lever, does it work on the sopmod/socom as intended?

The PTS one designed for the WE/PTW will yes, that's what I have on my other socom, makes a nice addition and is of course actually functional. The one pictured however is RS and fits but doesn't function properly, it's more of a hindrance than a help. The shape of the lever means it's set too closer to the body of the weapon so even when the mag's empty the bolt release can't actually pop out far enough to flip the switch inside that disengages the trigger, so the weapon just carries on firing through even when you've got no rounds left.

The PTS one designed for the WE/PTW will yes, that's what I have on my other socom, makes a nice addition and is of course actually functional. The one pictured however is RS and fits but doesn't function properly, it's more of a hindrance than a help. The shape of the lever means it's set too closer to the body of the weapon so even when the mag's empty the bolt release can't actually pop out far enough to flip the switch inside that disengages the trigger, so the weapon just carries on firing through even when you've got no rounds left.

Thanks for the answer. Looks pretty cool but discreet at the same time, just like I want my socom :)

Can somebody post a picture of a front rewired sopmod, or even a socom with the upper receiver detached? I'm planning on rewiring to the front but just realized..how the hell am I going to break down the gun now that the wiring will be in the front...wouldnt the wiring have to be realy long?

Im planning to put a mosfet in the RIS, and run the battery in PEQ box.

Or...does anyone know of a retractable stock that is compatible with the TM Sopmod, and has space for crane stock type battery AND a mosfet?!

Can somebody post a picture of a front rewired sopmod, or even a socom with the upper receiver detached? I'm planning on rewiring to the front but just realized..how the hell am I going to break down the gun now that the wiring will be in the front...wouldnt the wiring have to be realy long?

Im planning to put a mosfet in the RIS, and run the battery in PEQ box.

Search this thread. I've put up that info at least twice now

Or...does anyone know of a retractable stock that is compatible with the TM Sopmod, and has space for crane stock type battery AND a mosfet?!

You'd have to custom your own. You're gonna have min 3 wires coming out of your mechbox (more if you're using a computerised FET). I can't see a neat way of doing it without having your wires displayed/routed outside.

Edited by AnakChan

I have read back through this thread, and many of the links are no longer working. I was wondering if someone can point me to a front rail (Daniel defense, Larue, etc) that will fit on the Socom. I was hoping that I could just use the RIS from the sopmod but it sadly doesn't fit. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Richard,

Been awhile. Where are you abel to order the RIS as an accessory? I just checked the product homepage, and you are right, they have the rail pictured there. But I notice that the RIS is attached to the upper receiver and has the barrel assemble intact as well, so I wonder if they are saying that the uppers are interchangeable between the Sopmod and Socom Carbine. I will try again, but was certain I did everything I could :)

I will probably just go with a Magpul MOE hand guard.

Glad to see you are having success with your Sopmod parts.

Sorry to flood this thread with these questions...

has anyone tried a CASV with the Socom? I am considering this one...

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_RIS_Systems_King_Arms_CASV_Handguard_Dark_Earth.htm

Richard,

Thanks for the Echigoya tip. I see them 2 or 3 times a week (maybe I need to slow down), so will ask them about it...but I am guessing it is the same thing as what I am trying to attach right now. My buddy gave me his SOPMOD RIS when he added a MOE to his Sopmod. I guess I will just have to try again :)

cheers dude, im trying! lol just trying to get the shop up and running now to help fund making even more parts for you guys. And obviously facilitate there sales. no more have to send me annoying email hehe

i could order it in its certainly on my trade lists, if your in japan though someone like echigoya will be able to get it for you much quicker and i know they have a love of the next gen guns like me. Any who stocks tm can get it for you.

(RAS) for M4A1(AEG/Shoot & Recoil ver.)

Thats what you ask for.. 12000 jen is its RRP

dstole, mind if I have a look @ your setup? I'm somewhat surprised the Sopmod RIS doesn't work on the SOCOM. I'm happy to try my DD 9" on yours & I think Anarchy may have a CASV to see if it fits too. All your resources are available locally mate :D....

Thanks Q...I mean AnakChan :)

I have a DD on my Tanio Koba GBB that I was thinking of trying, but I have heard reports that you have to rethread for it to fit. I might see if I can try anarchy's CASV as well, as I think that is a really cool set up and with it already front wired I should be good to do.

Thanks for the offer Anak. I will take you up on it I am sure.

Sorry to flood this thread with these questions...

has anyone tried a CASV with the Socom? I am considering this one...

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_RIS_Systems_King_Arms_CASV_Handguard_Dark_Earth.htm

Works a treat:

P1000083.jpg

Mine's a King Arms model as well (slightly different in that the one you've linked has the slot for the front sight, mine doesn'), went on nicely just as it should.

That looks great CKinnerley.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I tried the SOPMOD RIS again last night and the issue is with the small metal hook that is attached with an allen screw at the rear of the top RIS. This keeps the RIS from wobbling on the SOPMOD, but seems to get in the way on the Socom. If I take this off, then the RIS will fit, but there is no way to clamp it, so there is some wobble.

Will post pictures if needed.

That looks great CKinnerley.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I tried the SOPMOD RIS again last night and the issue is with the small metal hook that is attached with an allen screw at the rear of the top RIS. This keeps the RIS from wobbling on the SOPMOD, but seems to get in the way on the Socom. If I take this off, then the RIS will fit, but there is no way to clamp it, so there is some wobble.

Will post pictures if needed.

The SOCOM has a weird and unrealistic barrel nut, hence why you're having the problem you're having. I don't know if you've got any other M4s around, but if you do, have a look at the inside area around the barrel nut and delta ring, you'll see it's setup and shaped very differently to your SOCOM, and has a slot for that metal hook you mentioned on the normal style RIS to slide in to and be tightened up against. The solution would be to buy a normal barrel nut/delta ring set (a G&P for example) and use that instead, however it's going to take modding work as the stock system used to attach the outer barrel to the SOCOM has holes for allowing the wiring through, a normal barrel nut won't, so you'll need to cut a slot.