Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

i think to a degree its the whole image that these guns are ptw beaters both in what they offer and for the price they offer it at.

If i was to buy a reciever for a ptw id be paying substantially move for it than i would for a normal m4.

Maybe its the same case for the sopmods, i mean the price of the magic box parts for example is crazy expensive..

I think it should be bombproof to pay 600$ :lol: even then, I wouldnt shell such money just for the lower reciever, toss the upper and the buffer tube and I may think about it... for gods sake, we are talking about a lower which is more expensive than a full sopmod wide-eyed.gif isnt it better to buy a new replica and having spares? :lol:

Well actually the $600 is for a full receiver (upper & lower) - but no buffer tube. Having said that, even PTW custom receivers in Japan are only about the $300-$400 mark (and cheaper elsewhere world ;-)). A GBB Prime receiver (CNC-ed) is also less than $600. The only time I have such an expensive receiver is 1.5xPrimes (Prime Magpul set + extra Prime VLTOR upper for my GBB).

Still though, there's probably someone out there who's willing to shell out that kinda $$$$ so next time I go to the shop, I'll take a pic of the advert (no product still!!!) and put it up here. Maybe some kind soul is willing to stimulate the economy :D.

P.S. Richard, I'll give the shop a call the shop tomorrow (they're closed today) to get an extra set...just to clarify, just lower receiver and buffer tube like me? How many sets? Note I still don't know the cost.

Edited by AnakChan

Mate i could list a thousand things i need ! The problem is doing the repairs you have to set your self up to cover for ever possibility even though it may sit on a shelf and never be used..

Ill go for one extra set then, buffer tube + lower receiver. Any chance of 1x anti reverse latch and spring, and 2x pistons on that order ? Id order a magic box one but since you broke the one you fit id rather fit a TM piston given a choice! I destroyed mine with the 11.1v :(

When i shimmed the sector gear i think it was too high it was putting pressure on the teeth of the piston when the gearbox shell was tighten shut.. I originally wanted it higher to clear the cut off lever but turns out that was a mistake, all the gears including the bevel gear need to be as low as possible then you build up the shims on the top side. my bad

your helps much appriciated sean cheers

Well actually the $600 is for a full receiver (upper & lower) - but no buffer tube. Having said that, even PTW custom receivers in Japan are only about the $300-$400 mark (and cheaper elsewhere world ;-)). A GBB Prime receiver (CNC-ed) is also less than $600. The only time I have such an expensive receiver is 1.5xPrimes (Prime Magpul set + extra Prime VLTOR upper for my GBB).

Still though, there's probably someone out there who's willing to shell out that kinda $$$$ so next time I go to the shop, I'll take a pic of the advert (no product still!!!) and put it up here. Maybe some kind soul is willing to stimulate the economy biggrin.gif.

P.S. Richard, I'll give the shop a call the shop tomorrow (they're closed today) to get an extra set...just to clarify, just lower receiver and buffer tube like me? How many sets? Note I still don't know the cost.

Got your list. Will go to the shop tomorrow lunch (hopefully work doesn't miss me :P). Yep, honestly I wouldn't go for the Magic Box again. Even if it were a little more durable, it's still expensive in Tokyo. Can't believe you destroyed a TM piston - that ain't easy :D.

Yeah, the sector gear shimming has to be quite accurate...too low, you wear out your auto-cutoff lever (BTW did U receive it!?). Too high, and the sector teeth will rub on the sides of the piston teeth. A lot less play than a std V2 (or V6, or V3) IMHO.

So I received my package today with all my parts and finished installing the diamond ring gold plated contacts, prometheus enhanced 20A fuses. I have to say the thing has excellent trigger response now. I can pull the trigger as fast as I want and it will not jam up. I also installed the prometheus 363mm/6.03mm barrel and soft firefly denki kurage and medium firefly denki namazu. Also my eagle 6 m90 spring came in the other day so I will be installing it next time. I will field test it and let you guys know of the results. Also thanks for everyone's help and guidance. B)

Edited by Zero Arsenal

Some updates :-

1) Feindflug

- 2xhop units ordered

2) Richard

- 1xbuffer tube

- 1xlower receiver (with selector switch)

- 1xARL

- 2xPistons (& spring)

U didn't ask for this but I bought it guessing that you may be interested (yes, that DiamondRing Zero Arsenal's talking about). So if U want it, I've got it - if not, I'll try to sell it to someone else in the forum who wants one :-

IMG_0014.JPG

Finally, information about the priceless receiver from BumbleBee (I lied, it's -more- expensive than USD$600!!). I can't read all the Japanese but very quick highlight :-

- Aluminium CNCed (someone who can read kanji can read what "grade")

- Engraved

- Hard Anodized (yes you all can read that ;-))

- Mil spec rails

- Steel custom bolt stop

- Steel end plate (what end plate!?)

- Steel barrel base (dunno what that means)

- Custom Bolt stop

- Supposedly available after June but that's been pushed back to July

BumbleBee.JPG

sean your a legend, yeah ill take the diamond ring bars too. Just let me know a total on what it all costs and ill sort you out. cheers for getting the bits, you have no idea how hard it is too get original tm stuff. Theres just no facility for ordering them outside of japan. That i know of any way. Some times i think TM as shares in all the aftermarket parts companys as they basically force people to buy other parts as we cant get theres. The cut off levers arrived by the way in really good time.

Zero thats good news on the diamond ring bars, theres more and more sopmods showing up with lock up, i can fix it but moving the stock pipe contacts a little closer to the bars, but its obvious the standard nickle coated copper bars degrade over time or get thinner with wear or something or the contact takes some abuse and ends up to far away from the bars.

I sent my cad drawing design of the contacts through to diamond ring / or the guy that runs it, he likes the idea but thats as far as it went i think. Hopefully he takes it on his own back and comes up with something. But im not holding my breath.

Hmm the reciever seems to have a few extras.. And the fact that it is CNCed gives me hope that i might be able to do one here. Well im intrigde and will be interesting to see if any one buys it, but they will have to be much more clear when they release it as to what benifits it will have at that price.. I could literally buy a whole new gun! i mean i dont really have any problems with the current one, its only that a few people have managed to break theres when dropping the gun that i thought id get a spare set just incase.

Richard,

Hey your DiamondRing photo didn't show up!! Here it is (with the price tag ;-)) :-

DiamondRing.JPG

Isamu,

Can't find the barrels here? http://echigoya-guns.com/. Otherwise what length are you looking at? There are some non-TM brands floating out there :-

http://www.echigoya.co.jp/html/products/detail.php?product_id=8142

As for the hop chamber, too late as I've already popped my order & won't be doing another anytime soon. However you could be in luck too 'cos I ordered 3xhop chambers (2x Feindflug, 1x Me) - guess you can have mine.

Richard,

Do you think you could adapt one of the Magpul ACS stocks for the SOPMOd, and even maybe take advantage of the friction lock to get better contact between battery / gun?

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=category&item=MAGP-ACC-ACSOD&search=special&rs=Stocks&catid=14&cat=3

Thanks anakchan, the hop and barrel are for a future project, right now im focused on upgrading the socom :)

Anyway, that echigoya barrel is pretty expensive for just an outer barrel :lol: 130€ prefer to ask them if they can source a stock TM outer barrel when the time comes :)

ありがとうございます。AnakChan-san :P

You make my day!!! and someone elses too!

Since I'm pretty new in the Sopmod-Club, may I ask what these Diamond Ring bars are good for?

Think from in previous post I read something about the reduction of the resistance for the battery current.

Pls advice, thanks

ありがとうございます。AnakChan-san :P

You make my day!!! and someone elses too!

Since I'm pretty new in the Sopmod-Club, may I ask what these Diamond Ring bars are good for?

Think from in previous post I read something about the reduction of the resistance for the battery current.

Pls advice, thanks

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=158786&view=findpost&p=2336976

But no one knows what it means and are finding out by 1st hand experience.

Ok, if I mend my relationship with my GF tonight, I'll see if she can translate :P.

Edit: Oh wait, she has done it already before. But basically it conducts better. Sorta makes sense...think of thicker gauge vs thinner gauge wires.

Edited by AnakChan

Holy mother of god 50€ for a *suitcasey mag case which isnt even covering the full internals of the mag???? are these japs crazy? for that price I would expect a full magazine and an assian massage nosleep.gif

Edit: looks like they are using one of the cheap ACM hicaps :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and expect to charge such sum of money?waggle.gif dont know if I should be "ROFLing" or cryingblink.gif

Edited by Isamu

Holy mother of god 50€ for a *suitcasey mag case which isnt even covering the full internals of the mag???? are these japs crazy? for that price I would expect a full magazine and an assian massage nosleep.gif

Edit: looks like they are using one of the cheap ACM hicaps :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and expect to charge such sum of money?waggle.gif dont know if I should be "ROFLing" or cryingblink.gif

Yes that's ACM. There's lots of ACM in Japan and they're not shy about it - even Echigoya's Sopmod with UBR's using ACM UBR.

That price, it's not so bad especially when you see how much PTW-converted-to-PMags cost. But this one from FirstJP is just silly - just buy a Pakyama adapter and can use real PTS Magpuls instead (yes, lose the bolt stop function though).

I'd be surprised if you couldn't buy Magpul PTS PMAGs and convert them yourself for much cheaper. I've emailed Magpul PTS to see if they'll ever consider selling PMAG shells specifically designed for TM SODMOD mags as a drop in replacement for the SOPMOD magazine outer shells. I think they'd be a strong seller personally. In the absence of that, if I ever invested in the SOPMOD platform, I'd probably buy Magpul rebuild kits and just do it myself modifying the tops of the mags. I'm dying to jump in the deep end with this, but the lack of aftermarket receivers and certain key components leaves me nervous.

Yes you can convert - nothing complicated in fact as most of the work required would be in the TM internals instead of the PMag shell instead (probably just the small notch on the back for the lever to prop up the bolt catch). But it does take time - I tried one and didn't bother with the others cos quite often my team tends to play real count often so that means I've got lotsa mags to mod :D.

I think PTS needs to make the whole thing altogether rather than just a drop-in shell. The issue is the TM internals just have too many notches, edges all over the place which prevents it from sliding into the PMag shell. I guess you could make a "wider" PMag but then it's gonna look terrible - or you could have thinner walls on the PMag shells which then may have durability issues.

I think that BumbleBee receiver will be the only aftermarket receiver available. The AKs/Sopmods/Socoms/CQB-Rs simply aren't selling that much.

I don't know how the rest of you guys feel but to me the these new EBB's have so much potential and are a dream to play with. As a playable weapon, I've not come across anyone who's said, "No it's not fun, I'm going back to regular AEG" (from a playability perspective). But still in Japan, when I go to public games, they would make up less than 20-30% of guns there. The only reason I can think of for this is as with uscm - no aftermarket parts and U can't dress your weapon up as well as standard AEGs. Having said that, I'm shocked the Modify Tremors hasn't eaten that market since it gives both (ability to dress up your AEG and provide blowback feel).

Okay, so I installed all the fore mentioned parts in my earlier post (promy cylinder head, spring guide, eagle 6 spring, etc.), I was able to break apart the SOPMOD thanks to Richard's videos. and I have to say I'm very satisfied with what I used in the field today! It was shooting around 336-340 fps and had really good range. The diamond ring contacts and the enhanced fuses like I mentioned before worked great too as I was able to pull the trigger fast without jam or problems in the heat of battle. Thanks for your guys help and guidance, mahalo! B)

I think that with some dremeling a real PMAG could be modified to accept SOPMOD internals, but those hicaps are just going to ruin the magazine part which is not protected by the shell if the mag falls down or after some use... bad, very bad idea...

I too think the sopmods are not selling well due to few aftermarket support, although for me, I have more tha enough with regular AEGs aftermarket offerings. What someone needs to do is making a series of springs (like Richard Y is already doing) to adapt the AEG to different power levels and roles so the sopmod would be more popular in countries our of japan.

Other thing I have read about the sopmod is that many people think that the recoil will make the accuracy worse, when in fact, the sopmod is one f the most accurate and with better range in the field, *suitcase, even if it has the recoil of a 120mm tank cannon, it would be more accurate than any M4 hop chamber

Sometimes, I think people just dont like changes, even if they are as good as this sopmod thing... ¬_¬