Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

but as others have said unfortunatly this little gizzmo deactivates the "mag empty lock" which from my point of view is one of the most important functions on the SOCOM/SOPMOD"s and with out it it looses its title as the best EBB on the market ;) and becomes just the same as the other blow backs on the market . :(

It still has the best hop chamber in an AEG and recoil, so I think it would still be the best EBB in the market tongue.gif although it would not fulfill its true potential

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

this is for Richard:

On page 68 you posted some suggestions for maintaining the SOPMOD in good working conditions. One of the suggestions was to loctite all screws. I'm new to airsoft and I just ordered the SOPMOD (should arrive by the end of this week). It is my first airsoft gun. I plan to keep the gun stock, no modifications. I would like to ask Richard to post some pictures of the SOPMOD and highlight on those pictures all the screws that you think they should be loctite-ed before using the gun. Detailed pictures will be much appreciated. Thanks.

not asking much are you ? you know the only way to learn with airsoft is to do.

I agree with you. However this is a 500$ airsoft gun (not considering shipping costs, battery and mags). I dare not experiment with it before I have more knowledge. I just thought all new comers to airsoft (and especially SOPMOD users) could benefit from Richard's experience. And since he repairs SOPMODS I thought he already has dismembered guns at his disposal so it will be easier to take pictures. Not mentioning that I have a gut feeling he knows EXACTLY which screws are prone to fail first.

Well, I have mine rather upgraded and the only wobbling "screw" i got was the buffer tube ring, the only thing I did was getting the laylax one and a tool to tighten it so I dont think I will put some loktite until I rewire it to back and finish the upgrades and reshim as planned after seeing how tight the new ring is.

In your case, if you plan to keep it stock, I would not touch anything until some skirmishes as you will only need to tighten the buffer tube ring :)

BTW: I know this question fits better in the tech section, but i read that VFC Gearboxes are "spring shimmed" can this be done in a SOPMOD too? how? would it be good or bad for the gun?

BTW: I know this question fits better in the tech section, but i read that VFC Gearboxes are "spring shimmed" can this be done in a SOPMOD too? how? would it be good or bad for the gun?

I've not heard of VFC mechboxes being spring shimmed (at least my VFC SCAR mechbox isn't spring shimmed either). Also assuming spring shimmed means "auto shimmed", then Phoenix makes auto shimmed gears. Those gears do have springs in the shaft to keep the tension on the necessary side. Those gears are unfortunately standard gears, not for the next gen V2 mechboxes.

Edited by AnakChan

I have seen reports of some VFC models being spring shimmed like the PDW and a "magpuled m4". I was pretty interested in this method as it seems much easier to "shim" this way as im a bit clumsy in technical affairs :unsure:

I thought for a second that they just added small springs to regular gears as if they were the shims :lol:

Not that easy. Assuming you're going to copy the Phoenix design, there's these spacer like things akin to what you have in the piston head except in a mini design (i.e. you have a washer, washer with bearings, and another washer), then you also have the spring and a brass shim, etc.

I actually don't use any of my Phoenix gears (for sale if anyone wants them), 'cos they are noisy in a high pitched squealy kinda way. As such if they do exist for the next gen mechbox, I wouldn't want to try them even - nor would I want to try to make one up.

But if you're keen on trying still, I can take snapshots of my Phoenixes as a guide for you.

Over at ehobbyasia.com they now stock upgrade parts from Lonex. Never heard about this brand. China????? Have no idea about the quality of the products.

Retails for about half the price of the same parts from Prometheus. Anyone have any expirience with this brand?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Lonex+Marui+New+V2+Gearbox&x=0&y=0

they look alright, its always a good thing more parts, for those that dont want to pay for the prometheus parts. For me though id never buy anything else other than prometheus parts due to there amazing strength and accuracy. The problem is that the prometheus gears are so expensive BUT they are probably there best and strongest part. Its difficult to explain how accurate and smooth they are. Alot of dosh but worth ever penny.

Not sure why lonex made a metal hop unit... ive not had a single problem with the original, infact the original is so acurate i wouldnt want to tempt fate and upset the amazing accuracy by buying a metal hop unit which potential my detract from its greatness.

Not sure why lonex made a metal hop unit... ive not had a single problem with the original, infact the original is so acurate i wouldnt want to tempt fate and upset the amazing accuracy by buying a metal hop unit which potential my detract from its greatness.

some people just don"t get "if it ain"t bust don"t fix it !" ? totaly agree best hop i"ve ever come across . still makes me chuckle nearly a year down the line the shock you see on players faces :o when you nail them at VERY long ranges with what appears to be a bog standard M4 ! :D

Edited by druid799

Yeah no one gets on with the magnums they draw to much power. To many problems for the high cost.

Im giving the elements a go at the moment, atm im recommending them or the guarders as they are both easy to source, about the same torque and about the same cost.

Rememeber the pinion gear on some motors are slightly different whcih means with any motor change you need to adjust the motor height screw to get a good fit again.

Hey guys, now I'm not certain if I'm reading this right (from the Arms magazine Dec edition), but in Laylax's page on their next gen parts, it says MUR Type 1 :D. Unfortunately the pic they put up is somewhat generic and they coupled it together with a regular AEG lower receiver. Which makes me wonder if the wording is wrong or the picture is wrong. The RRP is Y25,000 (approx USD$306). Street price would be cheaper.

Meanwhile, their piston is still a picture diagram, not a photo - so I guess the piston's not available yet.

So it looks like the Laylax Prometheus Piston for the next gen is finally out :-

http://laylax.com/SHOP/4560329175101.html

4560329175101.jpg

4560329175101_1.jpg4560329175101_3.jpg

yeah about 30 english pound before postage lol!

I would order a load in but quite frankly i can get the TM ones for half the price and they never break unless somethings gone wrong with the gun any way.

That said laylax parts are ment to be the ultamate parts players aim for in there guns. So they are nice to know its there, but i think laylax has had its glory days of being the only manuafacturer that people could by from. I think it will see a lot less sales from over seas now.

but i know if somone asks me to make them an ultimate sopmod ill still defualt to the prometheus parts!