Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Got myself the Recce at Combat South. They Sell them there and the Scar-L. Had ago on both and loved the Recce.

I've already put the EG30,000 TM Motor. Amazing rate of fire and response on the trigger on the Sopmod Battery 8.4.

More photo's to come. Magpul'ed up.

The Build is amazing and the Daniel Defense Rail is light and strong. Perfect for that Magpul M4 look.

Chris Costa Riding a Bear! Hell Yeah! biggrin.gif

The recce is a limitid edition product. It`s rather hard to come by outside of Japan/Hong Kong. Fortunately I managed to get hold of one, from Japan.

I `m planning to convert it to a dmr. Have all the prometheus internals lined up. Just waiting for a M120 spring from Richard. Also changed to a Magpul stock.

Did you have issues installing magpul xtm rails to this gun. It's a nightmare

Edited by kithooton
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

m100's (restock) and m110 (new) passed with flying colours..

The m100 = 350fps or 100 mps, give or take

The M110 = 370fps or 110 mps..

The m120 kicked out 370 fps as well.. so that failed.. gott redesign it, very odd it had a 30% increase but showed no increase, must have been something off in the design.

So 100's and 110's now but no 120s for another week..

all tests are with hop off. fps may go down the more hop you apply, if you play with a lot of hop and heavy ammo might be better going one stronger on the springs..

Hi guys!

Yesterday I recieved the gun (2nd Hand) it is awesome!

To fire the Marui is like a dream.

And becuase its a 2nd hand gun it was in use for a short time by another guy.

I have the little Problem that the Crane Stock is wobbling a bit.

Do you know how I could fix it?

Hi guys!

Yesterday I recieved the gun (2nd Hand) it is awesome!

To fire the Marui is like a dream.

And becuase its a 2nd hand gun it was in use for a short time by another guy.

I have the little Problem that the Crane Stock is wobbling a bit.

Do you know how I could fix it?

carefully remove the stock from the buffer tube and then apply a few strips of thin black electrical tape on each side of the bottom portion of the buffer tube as shown in the picture (the area surrounded by red color, click the picture for better viewing). This will remove all the wobble. Trim the excess tape so it won't exceed the margins of the buffer tube (a sharp box cutter will work best for this).

image0127o.th.jpg

Enjoy your sturdy stuck ! :)

• Like 1

m100's (restock) and m110 (new) passed with flying colours..

The m100 = 350fps or 100 mps, give or take

The M110 = 370fps or 110 mps..

The m120 kicked out 370 fps as well.. so that failed.. gott redesign it, very odd it had a 30% increase but showed no increase, must have been something off in the design.

So 100's and 110's now but no 120s for another week..

all tests are with hop off. fps may go down the more hop you apply, if you play with a lot of hop and heavy ammo might be better going one stronger on the springs..

Richard, what configuration (internals + barrel) are we talking about?

hmm that was standard insides, but a promy barrel which rasies fps a bit, but a firefly which lowers it a little lol

but other wise standard

They actually came in a little hot than i qouted but i allowed the barrel so basically we have springs now for 90ms 100ms 110ms but i still need to do a 120 and 130 ms spring....

The hop affectsthese guns so much more than a normal aeg.. if you crank the hop up on a normal aeg you maybe can knock 10 fps off, if you crank the hop on full on a sopmod you can knock 100 fps off it...

Which is great that we have that control, but it means i have to chrono for testng purposes with hop off.. id say anyone with site fps limits id go one bigger than they think then crank the hop on to bring it down under there site limit..

Hey guys

I need again your help

I disassemblied the Stock, so I could reach the spring.

BUT when I wanted to put the Stock part (in which is the recoil) again to the main part of the gun, I got a big problem.

Because when I put screwed it into the "main part" the little "holes" from the wires where at the top.

Meaning that the Stock was verted 180°! [ ( ^ ) >="Holes" for the wires at stock ]

Now I was trying 2 hours to make it correct but it's al the times verted 180° or ~200° from the normal position.

This is now very shity because the buttom is at the top

Edited by robi

You need to stop screwing in the tube in the right position (best look for Richard's directions, he says to actually stop two full rotation before max) and use the castle nut to fix the tube in position.

In other news, just got this email:

(Magpul PTS) PMAG mid-cap for TM SOMOD is in the process of production at the moment. Hopefully will have update status in March.

Edited by elanaiba

few.....was a long thread but very very useful.....now i'm think i know what my sopmod need to be a DMR at 410 fps :) . (alll promy).

just 1 ask: this bushing will fit well?:

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=category&item=PM-PT-6MMSAB&search=special&rs=Prometheus Parts&catid=62&cat=191

or can i put somting better?

Has anyone thought about, or tried, converting the sop mod/socom mags into 20 rounds magazines? I find myself more and more drawn to building a DMR from a sopmod platform or one of it's derivatives. And the shorter mags would be a big benefit when going prone. I know I could use a freedom art magpipe and regular 20 rd mags, but Id prefer not to lose the bolt stop function.

Also, I received the eagle 6 x2 recoil spring today. Fitted it to my socom straight away. I have a few concerns though. Although overall recoil doesn't feel noticeably increased (only a heavier recoil weight would achieve this I believe) the return is much snappier and feels more substantial, perhaps to snappy as when spamming the trigger I did get a couple of lock ups -not spamming the trigger will solve that;)- My main concern is about how well the socom will hold up in the long run due to any increased stress. How are weapons fitted with the spring holding up so far Richard?

Has anyone thought about, or tried, converting the sop mod/socom mags into 20 rounds magazines? I find myself more and more drawn to building a DMR from a sopmod platform or one of it's derivatives. And the shorter mags would be a big benefit when going prone. I know I could use a freedom art magpipe and regular 20 rd mags, but Id prefer not to lose the bolt stop function.

Also, I received the eagle 6 x2 recoil spring today. Fitted it to my socom straight away. I have a few concerns though. Although overall recoil doesn't feel noticeably increased (only a heavier recoil weight would achieve this I believe) the return is much snappier and feels more substantial, perhaps to snappy as when spamming the trigger I did get a couple of lock ups -not spamming the trigger will solve that;)- My main concern is about how well the socom will hold up in the long run due to any increased stress. How are weapons fitted with the spring holding up so far Richard?

I personally dropped 2 bags of 0.28s through it..

Like you say it feels snappyer on singles but its more of a technical improvment. like hard gears, you cant see them working but they are there. It speeds up the return time, as now people are fitting 9.6v packs etc... high torque motors,, some of these guns are getting fast rof...

the gears will speed up but the recoil unit its self will never return any faster.. eventually the gears come round and start picking up the piston.. before the recoil weight has returned.. putting strain on the first tooth.

Its preventative... and with a nice battery works fine.

The problem is if you get a lock up now, you now have EVEN more strain on the piston and gears. And thats where the sopmod comes a cropper.. not from the recoil spring its self but from casual trigger pressing and getting a lock up.

This is why i and my friends in japan are extremely excited about the new ECU, Beucase of the way the cut off lever pushes agasint the plunger, it knocks the sensor just slghtly telling the unit to stop. And it does so in millie seconds.

So basically it will fire a single shot with out any chance of ever locking up.. So you dont need to do the whole holding the trigger all the way in for a complete cycle..

Thus removing this guns only issue in one easy part.

Low voltage packs or half trigger pulls, i dodgy switch conections cuaseing a half cycle, or non working electric saftey.. i could go on and on at the inherant flaws with the mechanical trigger switch system..

Not to mention the more then 20% power increase the unit gives.. Which on 8.4v packs will be a god send.

Basically .. excited to see the single response.. im doing a normal aeg at the moment with one ill dish up a vid soon.