Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

I can honestly say I've never seen so much written about an airsoft outer barrel, good to see really. Nice to know it's got the cut-out for batteries if you're using a SOCOM, which is the only real complaint I've got with all the DYTAC ones, though I've PM'd USCM about that so looking forward to seeing what the result'll be there.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Looks like eHobby are the first to get in some of the new outer barrels:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=Dytac+M4+EBB+Outer+Barrel&x=0&y=0&cat=177

Only the shorter ones so far, but when the >14.5" models are out I'm gonna have to get one, and then build a whole other SOCOM. Which is annoying because I wanted to get the SCAR this month, but I can't resist... Rather annoyed about the fact they've not bothered with the cut-outs underneath though, such a simple thing and I'm not sure even if a lipo will fit without it, so probably going to have to get the tools out and chop one myself now.

Apparently twist barrels don't contact the bb (as in rifled barrels) but rather create an air cushion that keep the BB centered.

My best ever shooting rifle was the CA M15A2 carbine i had customized to precisely 100m/s with a twist barrel, firefly rubber, prometheus hop unit.... Very predictable and long range trajectory, with no "minimum engagement distance penalty".

I don't remember if i did any measuring in the final stage of upgrading, but anyone that played with that gun said it was a tack driver.

I just sold it cause Sopmods are so much more fun.

My (limited experience) is that you'll get better accuracy with a twist barrel compared to a Systema 6.04 barrel, but I have no experience with other brands of tightbores.

Edited by elanaiba