Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

simply a harder plastic than was used in the original design. you dont get non plastic tappet plates not that ive seen any way.

the new laylax version 2 ones are slightly redesigned for a smoother operation and they say the plastic used is very hard wearing

like for instance when you read POM piston head. it simple stands for polyoxymethylene a plastic developed to have properties like metal.

There was only a few things that included fragile diecast part on the dust cover latch and bolt catch. The dust cover latch and bolt catch were fixed in the 2nd batch. Most of the SOPMODs on sale now should have all problems fixed so as long as you don't have any problems with the latch on the dust cover breaking off or the catch not working, you shouldn't worry.

Interesting, both me and my mate - with 2 of the first sopmods sold by WGCShop - sometimes experience a problem with the gun not locking on an empty mag. Not 100% reproductible. Could this be related?

Elanaiba- Yours I have to say it is a 50/50. Remedy this by applying oil on the magazine's follower link up part and the part in the gearbox where the lever is located at to disconnect the power. Hopefully yours could may be just that its a stiff joint thats needs to be worked up a bit.

Gunfighters808-I don't have the April issue so I can't be of much help, but perhaps if you can photograph it I can take a look at it.

Cheers for the la-gunshop site. Reading it I don't see how it creates a hard recoil. All the parts are for the mechbox (increase in FPS/reinforced parts) but I don't read anything about the recoil spring, etc. in the buffer tube/stock.

yeah it lists the gear box upgrades separate to the increases recoil part, this to me says that they arnt just claiming the heavyer piston and piston head, 9v and upgraded main spring are whats cuaseings the harder recoil, says to me they have done something they simply havent said how they did it.

Had a friend read through it again, it definitely doesn't touch the recoil unit. To be honest, the faster battery would yield a higher ROF and stronger spring would yield a "snappier" kick, but I don't think it'll actually give it a bigger kick.

yeah thats why i assumed they must have done something to be "claiming" the stronger recoil, unless they did something to that spring it would all be a false feeling of extra recoil from it simply working faster.

only 3 weeks till i order mine, been waiting incase new bits come out but i dont think any will by first week of april.

ill take a look at the recoil my self and see what i can do

i cant read japanese, but remembering from my physics classes, my logic tells me that the only way they could increase the felt recoil would be if they increased the weight of the recoil unit. and probably get a stiffer spring to be able to handle said weight.

i cant read japanese, but remembering from my physics classes, my logic tells me that the only way they could increase the felt recoil would be if they increased the weight of the recoil unit. and probably get a stiffer spring to be able to handle said weight.

Correct. my concern is that wall in the buffer tube that the recoil weight hits against. I don't know how strong it is.

Correct. my concern is that wall in the buffer tube that the recoil weight hits against. I don't know how strong it is.

Probably not strong enough.

Im sure G&P or King arms will release a steel buffer tube.

Also, just so that everyone knows, there are TWO set screws holding the FSB onto the outer barrel.

You must remove the normal set screw in between the sling mount and then remove your inner barrel from the upper receiver.

Stick your allen key inside the hole between the sling mount ears and remove the second set screw from the TOP of the barrel.

IMO this is an awesome system because it allows that FSB to actually stay rigid whereas most FSB's will get knocked around and its something that i cannot stand.

• 2 weeks later...

any one had much luck yet building a lipo battery for the rear? still using the quick change?

also you know the arms 04 mag any chance someone scaning in the artical on the sopmod m4 also the info on the up coming parts from laylax it was meant to be a march release right?

Richard,

TM does not sell direct to anyone outside of Japan but Anakchan was nice enough to go out of his way and hook me up with some parts.

The good news here is that only one other sopmod has broken down locally. All of the others are functioning fine.

I still havent gotten my grubby mitts onto the other sopmod that broke but once i do ill go ahead and report here.

Yes it can be rewired to the front. In fact TM's upcoming M4 Carbine (March '09) will be wired to the front. When TM designed the Sopmod, I think they already catered for the Carbine in mind so there's a cut/groove in the upper receiver on the front left for wires to go to the front. I can squeeze in about 4 wires there at the moment for Gandolf's SW-LONG AB-FET (2xwires for trigger, 2x wires for motor). Unfortunately that FET's too big to fit into the RIS :-(. May need to see if Psyphyer's FET will fit in there instead.

[snip!]

I prefer to be called umpaloompa!!

[snip!]

That link didnt work Anakchan, what is this you say about a marui sopmod carbine?

Magz,

Here's the Carbine info :D. Finally, I thought it was gonna be announced beginning of March, not the end :-

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=164413

Edited by AnakChan
To anyone who currently owns a TM sopmod:

Would it be compatible with the Magpul PTS MIAD grips?

Also is it possible to mount the madbull JP rifle handguard to this gun?

Magpul PTS MIAD grips, yes.

Madbull JP rifle handguard, not certain but I do have the MB DD AR15-lite clone on mine.

http://www.tkoverkill.com/showthread.php?t...id=3172#pid3172

[Woops...looks like Magz has answered this]

Edited by AnakChan

Well I have started having a strange problem.

Full auto fire is fine, but single fire will lock-up after 1 to 3 rounds and stays locked up if flicked to safety and will only release if I then shoot some rounds on full auto?

Has any one else had this problem before I send it back to the shop?

if you read the manual its stated in there as a timing issue bout 10 pages in i think, most v2 suffer from it on the odd occasion but it sounds like your getting it all the time ? the cycle is stoping before it completes the cycle at 3/4s on the cut off lever. Whats the battery level like ? it needs to be fully charged. Traditionally on ordinary version 2 gearboxs that have the issue the tendancy is to increase the battery power to make sure that when you pull the trigger a full cycle is completed before you release the trigger and start another cycle. make sure your pulling the trigger all the way to the back to complete the cycle before you start another.

probably an m130 systema or equivilant cut down maybe a m120

ive seen a cut down m120 get about 315 fps which is about 96 m/s prity sure it was a standard barrel as best i recall. Im gunna cut down a promy ms120 and try it in mine but i also have a ms130 here also.

you have to go bigger so when you cut it to length its a similar fps

also ive been umming and arhhhing about bending the cut end so it looks like a standard tm spring and fiting it behind the ordginal bit the holds the spring in place but then i wont be able to quick spring change :(

youll need to stick to 100m/s prity religiously with that twist barrel they hate being above or below that fps. we had a gun with one and it was crazy accurate at 328 the same gun uped to 425 and it was so unaccurate untill we fit another barrel. another gun was never any good at 310 with the twist fit a diff barrel and it was fine i suppose we could have increased the fps lol. I think they are good dont get me wrong they just have to be at 328 something to do with the air and how it works i read about it once but i think my eyes glazed over before i reached the end.