Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Anyone here ever mod the mag internal into a real steel pmag? I know echigoya did it, I emailed PTS again to see if they're still planning to make them, if they don't respond soon I think that'll be my new project for this gun.

I did that with a G-Mag, which is a clone by Oberland Arms (P-Mags aren't that easy to get in Europe). http://www.oberlandarms.de/index.php?category=GMag&id=1&page=details

Sadly I lost it, but the conversion did work. I had to dremel quite alot of material of from the internal Marui mag part as well as from the inside of the G-Mag. The G-Mags/P-Mags are thinner at the front than usual mags, so the TM mag insert won't fit without dremeling. In fact I had to dremel so much that the walls of the BB canal got really thin. And after all that dremeling the mag insert still was fitting very tight inside the G-Mag, but it had to anyway, as without the bottom screw the insert was only held in place by friction. But it worked very well that way.

I had some problems with the magazine lever not engaging the bolt stop mechanism properly and I never sortet that out completely (before loosing the mag) but I'm pretty sure that this would not be a problem if you do it a little better than me (It was my first try after all), maybe I just positioned the mag insert to low inside the shell.

Anyway the magazine did fit perfectly into the magwell of the Sopmod (after dremeling the back part some more) and I liked the vastly reduced weight. But it's really timeconsuming doing all that dremeling and it's rather expensive as well, considering that you have to buy a complete Sopmod mag and a P-Mag. But if you don't mind the time and money, go for it.

Hmmm...I think I'll just wait for Magpul PTS to respond to my email if it requires modification of the Marui internal. I really hope they do decide to make one (as they stated they were looking at possibly releasing them before the end of this year), especially if they make it hold more bb's (maybe 120). Though if anything I'll probably purchase a single pMag and if worst comes to worst and I mess up the Marui internal, I'll just buy a new internal from Echigoya and put it back into the metal body.

Thanks for the response Vader

Edited by akiraspeedstar

for me the hard part is getting the real steeel so to speak pmags. If there was a ready cheap source i could do it but alas there isnt, then of course the cost again buying to mags and converting them, its why they cost so much to buy from echiy

its really not an option at the moment unless like you say magpull get motivated and it would have to have the bolt lock system of course...

for me the hard part is getting the real steeel so to speak pmags. If there was a ready cheap source i could do it but alas there isnt, then of course the cost again buying to mags and converting them, its why they cost so much to buy from echiy

its really not an option at the moment unless like you say magpull get motivated and it would have to have the bolt lock system of course...

There may be more motivation for PMAGs once KWAs EBB comes out. AFAIK allizard said somewhere that TM ebb mags would be compatible?

"the mag for the Tokyo marui is still pending on list, we will have an official announcement once its ready for launch."

Good news that its still planned, bad news that they no longer mention this year (I asked if it was still going to be this year in the original email). Now I'm reconsidering on doing the real steel pmag conversion. Though, I already have 5 magazines, at most I could probably sell them for $15 each if i'm lucky, maybe less once the pmag come out. Then the pmag from PTS will probably cost $30, so really it'd cost me the same to modify the pmags compared to buying the PTS version. Ah Hell I got one real steel on the way, I'll see how hard it is to modify.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Since my SOCOM is enroute I need to ask some questions about accessories since I plan using this as a prototype for my coming real M4, has anyone used the DYTAC outer barrels, hows the fit/finish, does the gas block come off or is it part of the barrel, as I need to fit a standard FSB.

Since my SOCOM is enroute I need to ask some questions about accessories since I plan using this as a prototype for my coming real M4, has anyone used the DYTAC outer barrels, hows the fit/finish, does the gas block come off or is it part of the barrel, as I need to fit a standard FSB.

Gas block comes off, but there's no cut-outs for the roll pins you'd need to fit an A-frame. That, and the portion of the barrel that is the correct diameter for gas blocks is shorter than usual, it's only the length of the supplied VLTOR low-pro.

Finish: Meh, standard airsoft paint. It suffices but it's nothing that great.

Fit: Mine did work fine, but the portion that slots in to the upper was a bit wider than it should have been, it didn't quite slot in to place 100% correctly. Very close, and like I say it works fine, but it could have been produced to a higher standard..

16" is my planned length but I need to drop a standard FSB on it, was looking for stainless but I can always refinish a black barrel.

My total plan is:

16" Barrel with YHM Phantom Comp

FDE Midlength MOE

FDE MOE Grip

FDE MOE Stock

IWC SMC with 4sevens light

Magpul ASAP Plate

Prommy Internals

AWS New Version 2 FET

PDI W-Bucking

Haven't decided on an inner barrel brand and length

E6 350fps spring

16" is my planned length but I need to drop a standard FSB on it, was looking for stainless but I can always refinish a black barrel.

Only 16" barrel seems to be the Dytac:

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=category&item=DY-ACC-OB416FB&search=special&rs=Outer%20Barrel%20for%20AEG&catid=14&cat=87

It definitely won't have the horizontal holes for your standard issue front sight/gas block, though I'd imagine if you've got the tools and skills it can be done. Whether the gas system is the correct length for the mid-length MOEs, also no idea sadly.

Tried the PDI W-Hold in my 12" SOCOM, but unfortunately I've only been able to field it once and on that occasion it was shooting all over the shop, mostly off to the right. I think (from what I've read of others' experiences) it needs a lot of bedding in due to the system it uses, more so than any other standard bucking.

For the WE GBB / PTW Magpul Pts sling mount, how much dremiling is required?

Only 1-2mm from the central hole and a bit off the supporting spigots, it's all the file/test/file/test which takes the time. You'll need to take a good hour or so if you want a clean, flush fit.