Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Help....

I have embarked on my SOPMOD upgrade and was following Richard's video... and upon removing the recoil unit, a small metal washer came flying out.. If you look at the picture below, you will see the metal washer at the top just below the port cover. Can someone enlighten me as to where this goes.....

Thanks

001.jpg

it goes on the end of the round metal bar on the left of the picture, but has no affect on the operation most people lose theres.

Just for future reference a better way of taking apart the sopmod version than on my vid or an amendment to it is to unsoldier the wires from the quick change connector allowing to pull out the wires. I find with repeated take downs its better in for the condition of the wiring.

Bloomin blowback cover port thingy.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (sorry am just lettin off steam)...

The blowback/charging handle mechanism fell apart so i'm trying to put that back togther... grrrr

Question: The port cover has two holes in it. Does this go onto the two spikes in the blowback plastic unit... or just one of the spikes?

When I pull back the charging handle, the port cover gets stuck..... no idea what i'm doing wrong here ....

Edited by TK4235

Here are the 2 problems i'm having....

I can't seem to get the bolt catch to work or so think. When I put the tapet plate spring into it's slot, it pushes forward the tappet plate and the stop bolt mechanism does not move up and down anymore coz the tappet plate locks it. Is this normal?

Nor can I get the port cover/blowback to work properly. The port cover once pulled back just gets stuck. The port cover has 2 holes ontop of it and it presumeably slots into the top part of the blowback mechanism that has 2 guide spikes? This part has that long thin rod (with spring) which slides over it and the port cover which holds the port cover in place?

When I put the whole thing back together the port cover just get stuck in the backward position...The gun does fire but seems to be doing only 330fps... I thought it would do close to 350fps with all the prommy parts?

Akira, No worries bro... good news.... managed to get it all working... happy days..

Bolt stop is working fine, the blowback is fine now... the problem was when I put the blowback cover back, I did not feed it under the small lever on the blowback (in essence it was over it). This caused the blowback cover to get jammed... anyway all is solved... phew... just need to chrono it..

My mods as as follows, however the gun is only doing about 330fps (original fps was 280)... I need another 20fps... :bleh:

1. Eagle6 M100

2. Prommy 6.03 TB

3. Prommy Air Nozzel

4. Pommy Aero cylinder Head

5. Pommy piston head

6. Pommy piston

7. Pommy Spring guide

8. Firefly soft hop rubber (original marui nub)

9. Eagle 6 recoil spring (man this is cool)

To be honest I was expecting the fps to be near 350fps.... but hey ho... i'll let the hop bed in for a few thousand rounds then see If I wanna do anything else with it..

Anyone reccommend any further upgrades? :)

Edited by TK4235

Weird, my barrel is stuck in my hop up unit and I cant remove it what so ever. I then disassembled the the unit and it still won't move not even a mm. Anyone else have this problem?

stock barrel? I had the same issue and accidently ended up breaking my hopup unit, so be careful. Though I believe every everyone has the same troubles.

Tk - hmm...I have the same mods but with a m110, I hope I'm not only shooting 350ish.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

To take the stock barrel out of the hop unit takes some effort. I ended of using silicon spray, and a cloth to wrap the hop unit so that I could grip it. Then it was a question of pulling and yanking the little bugger. Slowly but surely it started to move, literally mm by mm... My bucking/rubber got stuck in the hop unit, so I resorted to stick a pencil with a....wait for it... (lol) a rubber on the end which allowed me to push the hop bucking/rubber out.. If one takes one's time, you will be able to get the barrel off the hop unit...

TK4235, every single part fitted well in your socom/sopmod? I got all of those parts here and I have decided to install them into my socom after a year using it stock (only fitted an Eagle6 spring :P ).

Kunlun, yes all the parts have fitted like a glove.. and all first time... I will probably change to an Eagle6 M110 though as the spring change is easy now... the more I play with the SOPMOD, the more I love it... :)

Edited by TK4235

Anyone knows whether there's a 16" bull barrel for use with A-style front sight ( pinned, not grub-screwed ) on the market for the Sopmod/Socom?

Dytac doesn't support pinned gasblocks/frontsights and I couldn't find Echigoya's 14"-20" barrels on their site ( english website ).

I'd like to use mine with a midlength MOE handguard, if anyone is wondering :)

Had my first game with the socom last night CQB and I noticed a few things

1) The range! Thats some Marui magic I'd heard it was good but had to see it for myself.

2) Accuracy for .25's indoor excellent as expected.

3) Its loud indoors already knew it didn't sound like an AEG but didn't seem as loud during testing. Turned a few heads.

Overall very impressed just two issues, I didn't get on with the sling points but thats personal preference so an ASAP plate ordered. Secondly the barrel flattened section on the socom has sharp enough edges to cut into the plastic covering of a snug fitting lipo. Bit of lecky tape on the battery now and I'll see how next game goes.

Had my first game with the socom last night CQB and I noticed a few things

1) The range! Thats some Marui magic I'd heard it was good but had to see it for myself.

2) Accuracy for .25's indoor excellent as expected.

3) Its loud indoors already knew it didn't sound like an AEG but didn't seem as loud during testing. Turned a few heads.

Overall very impressed just two issues, I didn't get on with the sling points but thats personal preference so an ASAP plate ordered. Secondly the barrel flattened section on the socom has sharp enough edges to cut into the plastic covering of a snug fitting lipo. Bit of lecky tape on the battery now and I'll see how next game goes.

Could always round it out a little with a file if you really wanted to. Also yeah I agree on the sound, I've had a lot of people turn and look at me as well when I fired haha.