Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

What's the best wiring to use for the SOPMODs? To my understanding the Tokyo Marui wiring has a thinner insulation than your average wire. I attempted to just test fit some average 18awg wire and it started to gouge into the wire (though not through the insulation).

To my understanding TM wire has thinner insulation, any wire I can buy to match this?

Edited by akiraspeedstar
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Also cancel on my last (last) post, found some milspec silver coated wiring with telfon insulation. According to the specifications it's outer diameter is about .5mm+ less then the wire I tried earlier. Considering it didn't break the insulation of the previous wire, I'd imagine the slightly reduced size will prevent the wires from being damaged.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Also cancel on my last (last) post, found some milspec silver coated wiring with telfon insulation. According to the specifications it's outer diameter is about .5mm+ less then the wire I tried earlier. Considering it didn't break the insulation of the previous wire, I'd imagine the slightly reduced size will prevent the wires from being damaged.

What AWG did you get?

TM SOPMOD/SOCOM Buffer Tube Repair

In my quest to find a cheap way to repair the buffer tube on my paper weight TM Sopmod, I came across this solution one day while taking a sh*t.

Tap some threads to screw the buffer tube to the receiver!

warning: I am not responsible for anyone f*xing up their guns in an attempt to try this ghetto solution. Use this method only if you are cheap! (proper way is to buy a brand new lower receiver and buffer tube)

Tools Req:

1. Power Drill

1. IMG_9916.JPG

[*]10X24 Tap with #16 drill bit - Home Depot Sells them for $5.60, made by Irwin

1. IMG_9914.JPG

[*]10X24 set screw...3/8 in should be enough, get 4 of them.

[*]3/32 in Hex key for the set screw

Step 1:

Begin by drilling 4 holes where the receiver and lower buffer tube meets. See pic.

IMG_9912.JPG

IMG_9913.JPG

Step 2:

Put the buffer tube into the lower receiver (with the gearbox in), and mark where the four holes are on the buffer tube. Next drill the 4 holes onto the buffer tube.

Step 3:

Next create the threads by using the 10X24 tap in the holes drilled in step one. *note: you will need to take the gearbox out.

step 4:

Put everything back together and align the buffer tube, then screw in the 10X24 set screws.

step 5:

TADA, this ISH is rock solid.

IMG_9918.JPG

Again, this repair is not for everyone, but it's a cheap way to do it. and yes, I know, my set screw is sticking out. I will have to find a shorter one.

With the buffer tube repaired, i am one step closer to getting my sopmod fixed. I lost the stupid spring that sits on the metal arm of the bolt stop assembly ( anyone know if it will work without it?), and my sector gear chipped its last tooth. O and I gotta rewire this beast to the front.

Can't say I like what you did, but if it works for you then all power to you.

On a different topic, here's my MK18 MOD1ish upper, the lighting made the DE look really pale, though it's actually the same color as my Magpul FDE parts.

DSCN2365.jpg

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Just got myself a CQB-r and I am looking for a recommendation for a rear sling plate that's a reasonable cost (i.e not £50!) can anyone help please?

I've got Marui's one on mine. About £35, but fits well, should stop anything becoming unscrewed and it works.

Can't say I like what you did, but if it works for you then all power to you.

On a different topic, here's my MK18 MOD1ish upper, the lighting made the DE look really pale, though it's actually the same color as my Magpul FDE parts.

DSCN2365.jpg

I nearly mistook that fir a systema otw upper..

Looks as though it means business. :)

Well I've ordered a pommy type a cylinder now and also 2 more eagle 6 springs one of which is a m110. Just wanna see what the m110 gives me in my setup out of curiosity.

Just been thinking. Someone should invent a quick change mechanism for changing the spring. It's a shame there is no twist lock type buffer tube change. Would make life easy and also prevent the buffer tube threads from buggering up lol

Looks good. How much are spare uppers? As I'd like to make a cqb / stubby killer type upper for mine.

thought you mite like to see my "spair" uppers , here"s what ive done .

first i have a CQB fitted , and a full lenth M4 with a CASV plus a MOD stock to change the look ;

157gqdd.jpg

then i also have a DMR "type" upper for when i fancy changing my game play in woodland (ergo cant be a**ed to run around any more ;) )

15naqlj.jpg

the DMR i can"t take credit for (apart from the rail covers and folding foregrip) i bought it from another forum but i did build the other two my self .

The DMR also has a padded bag that it lives in that i can take on to the game field with me so i can change in game if i wan"t too (i made the bag my self) .

Edited by druid799