Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Personally I think I should take Druid out the back and shoot the *suitcase* out of him (and he's a team mate!) Just invested in another TM ebb becuase of him!

I'm not looking at any more of his photos either... it like a frackin epidemic.. you buy one you want another...and another... where will it all end...lol ? :)

I do fancy a Scarl though but that would mean 3 EBBS and that's plain greedy :D lol..

Question.... is the SOCOM to big to use for CQB? I've been toying with the idea of making it into CQB type version and thought about getting serperate uppers (yes like what Druid has.. lol)... With that thought in mind, what do you guys recommend? What bits should I get (brand wise). I'm also going to leave the gearbox stock as for CQB more than 280fps is not needed... right? (but I do have a spare eagle 6 M100 spring lying around soon... haha)

My Socom shoots near 300 and is ample for CQB. Now as for length on a 2 point sling - forget it but on an ASAP sling plate its actually not too bad.

I do find it a little long when shooting from door frames hence why I'd like a very short upper. But between a std 14" and a CQB 10" I don't think I'd bother. If going shorter I'd go 7.5".

Guys

I have an air nozzle question. If you look at the photo below you will see that my air nozzle is resting kinda halfway into the bb chamber. Is this how the nozzle should be resting. The gun was fired on semi so I expect the tappet plate is in the released/forward position hence the air noozle is also in the correct position. I'm wondering if this position is not correct that could explain my air loss problem (if one exists at all... the white bit in the bb chamber is just a light flash reflection)

6333696351_23262256b1.jpg

Edited by TK4235

What gears are you running? As a slight difference in tappet plate timing could account for the different rest position.

Or what battery are you using? Std sopmod? Its possible it doesn't have the juice to properly complete the cycle or perhaps my lipo is giving me slight overspin?

Do you not also have a socom you could compare with? Might try mine on a normal mini to check.

Battery is an Eagle6 SOPMOD one so loads of power....

Gears are stock on the SOPMOD and the bevel gear is always put in at the 1'oclock position

Do have the SOCOM (and its stock)... dare not open the gearbox on it lol... mind you, I haven't looked into it's magwell (i'll do that later just to compare the resting position of the nozzle)....

If i'm being honest, the power is fine on the sopmod but it's just the variation in fps that's doing my nut in.... like i said, i'm still waiting on the prommy cylinder and 2 more replacement gears from Richard (another M100 and a M110)...

Shame pommy don't to a tappet plate either...

Shame pommy don't to a tappet plate either...

I was thinking the same thing last night when I was placing an order with Redwolf. Bought a Tornado grenade, right now it comes with a freed reusable Gas filler can and grenade pouch, plus everything is 11% off right now.

My wires came in today, milspec 18awg silver coated wire with teflon insulation. This wire actually allowed me to remove the hard buffer ring and not damage the wires. When I attempted to fully remove the radio shack 18awg, it shredded the insulation and actually snapped more then half of the wires inside.

Akira, what I did was to file down the buffer tube where the wires run along, now my wires do not get caught when I take the buffer tube on/off... Let's face it, the original SOPMOD design for the running of the wires really does leave a lot to be desired...

Hmmm...good idea, I'll probably do the same.

say, I have a Sopmod, so it's front wired. But I'm wondering if I could convert a Socom stype stocktube to simply run wires to the very end of the tube and run a standard AEG stock on it? ( say a MOE stock )

I like to run mini-sized 7.4V 20C 2200 MAh LiPo's and I'd like to run these in a bat. bag hanging on the rightside of the MOEstock with a 0.7inch recoilpad ( to hide the wires a bit ).

Would I have to do some magic ?

say, I have a Sopmod, so it's front wired. But I'm wondering if I could convert a Socom stype stocktube to simply run wires to the very end of the tube and run a standard AEG stock on it? ( say a MOE stock )

I like to run mini-sized 7.4V 20C 2200 MAh LiPo's and I'd like to run these in a bat. bag hanging on the rightside of the MOEstock with a 0.7inch recoilpad ( to hide the wires a bit ).

Would I have to do some magic ?

How you're going to get the wires from the back of the buffer tube to the cheek pad without it looking ugly is the hard part.

Guys, where could I buy a new buffer tube (for my old sopmod) these days?

I believe Eagle6 has it, also Echigoya has them as well.

On a different note, while rewiring my gun last night I was inspecting all of my internal parts. Everything is still looking good, though my piston is starting to shave down on the back teeth, gears look perfectly fine, though the piston is starting to wear. Looks like it's time for me to purchase a Prometheus piston as well.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Would I have to do some magic?

Have you mixed up SOCOM and SOPMOD? Only it's the SOCOM variant that's wired to the front.

• Like 1