Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

The only part I'm not a fan of is the micro switch itself, fiddley and easily broken in a lot of applications, was generally a common problem and the only real drawback of both the ASCU and AWS units, I haven't kept up with the BTC though.

But why not ask Terry (Extreme-Fire) about his experiments with hall-effect sensors, no mechanical parts to fail.

Looking at the Magpul PTS ASAP for PTW and GBB guns it appears it might also fit - and they are much easier to source. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm using a front wired SOCOM, so don't need to worry about routing any cables.

Thanks

It won't fit without dremeling, as the inner diameter of the ring is slightly too narrow. Also you might need to dremel a little bit off of the triangular parts on either side, so that they can slide over the receiver. It is not very difficult though, it just needs some trial and error (dremel, fit, dremel, fit, ...) and it might take a while, as it is made of steel. If you remove the process on the 6 o'clok position too, it can also be used with rear wired Sopmods (the triangular parts will be enough to prevent rotating).

Is there anyone here interested in collabing to develop a TM New Ver 2 GearBox Electronic Trigger similar to the raptor? The plans are available on airsoft mechanics, we just need some technically capable engineers to design it. We can do a group order for it.

I'd be willing to help but I have little to zero electronics skill! I will however jump in on the order if/when it's finished to boost numbers.

My thoughts exactly. Is there anyone we could hire? It really doesn't look like a very complex piece of electronics - the kind of thing a student could do for beer money... *Goes off to canvass engineering departments*

for electrical switch, what a great idea! I would love to see it happen or hiring someone to do just that. PM me if you have the specialty.
Some two cents on it. First, active braking make cause damage to the gearbox as the anti reverse latch need to be removed and the piston position relative to other parts messed up.

Second, the manual stated the gun runs at 14 rps, which i believe is the optimum rps for this gun really. So maybe some sort of ROF control to 14rps with all voltages of battery? I dont even know if this can be done. O well.

Edited by Berggy

I agree with the concerns about active braking ('actively breaking') but I figure if you can turn it off then there's no reason not to include it. Since we (NexGen V2 owners) are apparently a very small minority, we really need a drop-in fire-control unit to do everything so that everyone can purchase one. I agree that the features we really need are, in order of importance;

1. Cycle completion - this solves the NexGen V2's only real problem, the occasional locking-up in semi.
  2. ROF control - this allows NexGen V2s to use 11.1v LiPos for snappy trigger response without blowing up the internals.
  3. Battery monitor
  4. Active braking (selectable on/off)
  • Like 1

Cycle completion, isn't a terrible issue, an 11.1 with a torque motor and you cannot out cycle the trigger.

PWM based ROF control would be nice.

Battery Monitor, I'd rather it just have the option to integrate a Project Wolfdragon monitor board.

Ideally an ultra-small board with nice solid FETs and simple reliable switch-gear, would do the trick. I'm hesitant to use Microswitches in a recoil gearbox, considering ARES boxes with them have issues with vibrations from just the motor and piston.

Both use the same barrel so yes, the stock barrel nut/delta ring is a funky design though on all the models.

Thanks.

So glad that i'll get one.

TM Next Gen M4s are like non-existant here and a pain in the *** to import due to *suitcasey* german laws :rolleyes:

Edited by slice

Just an fyi, stuck a spring off of a kwa m4 cqb....their sportline version into my tm recoil shock m4 and I was getting up to 395 fps with .20g bbs. With a prometheus bearing spring guide, I was getting up to 415 fps with .20g bbs. No lock ups after about 1200 rounds.

Are you reffering to me? The first problem is that after german law imported full auto Airsofts may not shoot harder than 230fps.. If you want to bring the fps of your selfimported gun to over 230FPS, it has to be semi only, and it has to be tested and engraved by a german insitute, and that whole process costs you more than 140 dollars and takes a few weeks  :rolleyes:

And the second thing is, i would never install a harder spring than the stock one, the Tokyo Marui guns were constructed for 90 springs, and work best with them for years without any problems. A harder spring could change that...

Edited by slice

1. Is it very difficult to convert a front wired TM M4 Socom to a back wired version (like the Sopmod)?

Have to ask mate , why ?

If you don't want the batterys in the front and you want to use 'normal' batts in the stock instead of the crappy powered quick change ones just rip out the quick change adapter and solder on a connector to run normal batt's in the stock instead .

Have to ask mate , why ?

If you don't want the batterys in the front and you want to use 'normal' batts in the stock instead of the crappy powered quick change ones just rip out the quick change adapter and solder on a connector to run normal batt's in the stock instead .

I was talkin about the Socom and not the Sopmod :) What you said works of course, but only with a Sopmod. If i want to have a battery in the stock of a socom, i have to rewire it (and thats why i asked how difficult that would be).

Edited by slice

I was talkin about the Socom and not the Sopmod :) What you said works of course, but only with a Sopmod. If i want to have a battery in the stock of a socom, i have to rewire it (and thats why i asked how difficult that would be).

Ah fair enuf , I just got the idea that your were asking in preparation for getting one not you already had one . To be honest mate I'd say its going to be a right nightmare I've been running them basically since they came out and I wouldn't want to try and wire the socom to the back .

A question about batteries for the M4: I know that 8,4 volts are recommended for it, but what about a 7.4v like that one: Link ? Would the higher battery output damage the gun somehow on a longer view?

cant see your link, but I have a lipo converted SOPMOD stock that fits, and operates fine, on 7.4v 2600 mah crane stock batteries. 

Not sure if it has been discussed, but, if you were to rear wire a socom, would you not need the battery stock and and stock pipe? you cant put any wiring "in" the stock tube?

If you want re-wired buy a SOPMOD, would most likely work out cheaper in the long run?