Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Socom has shs gears, 390+, m170 motor.

Hk has dt gears, guarder infinity, 340+.

Just an fyi. Aside from the motor and the gold plated bars, I'm actually considering hard wiring it and switching the tm sopmod crane... To a vfc Crane stock which should allow me to use a higher capacity/voltage battery. I just really like the convenience these solid battery offers.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

With the standard quick change trigger talk adaptor, shortening the end caps you can get a split pack 7.4v 2000mah nano tech in there as long as you make the wires very neat.. That's still using the quick change.

There's two contact gold bar sets. One is for hk416 but basically this is just bars and a plastic block which you screw on to the end in place of the quick connection block on the Sopmod.

I like to use the Sopmod stock even if I rewire as any after market ones with battery's always seem to have wobble.

So if you direct wire you could combine both contact sets or just fit the hk416 direct wire version to make soldiering to the gold bars very neat and easy.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I've done a little bit of testing in this regard with upgraded Marui guns for customers who elected to keep the stock pistonheads, I found a fairly consistent 10FPS increase every time I vented the pistonhead, keeping all other components the same and just modifying the stock Marui pistonhead. In one case, a rather antiquated Marui G36 which had seen a couple hundred thousand rounds, venting the pistonhead saw the FPS jump by 40, which I ascribe to the worn o-ring.

As an aside, I emailed LPE about potentially modding a barrel for me and you guys never got back to me :P

Interesting, just the sort of info I was looking for although I'm not sure what I'm more suprised by, opening a gearbox just to vent a piston head or the 40fps jump! It certainly sounds more like the vents actually work to prolong an airseal/lifespan of an o-ring but probably don't do much for well fitting brand new ones.

How long ago did you email me? If it was a while ago then I may have just missed it  :blush: I don't recall any emails about modifiying barrels, if it was recently then you should have had a reply by now. Also there are no 'guys', it's just me that runs LPE :P

It's my Infos the same as all gun techs, you just draw conclusions over time based on what ever results you see when working on guns. There's zero science or proof of anything Airsoft all we can do is change something and test and even then that could be skewed by that particular gun.

Like if I fit an aftermarket piston head on a poor performing tm it's going to be a large increase. So skewed results. So it seems nigh on impossible to really catalog single improvements, though if I was making piston heads I defiantly test with just that one part on a stock tm.

Indeed, lack of proof was always my issue with the vent thoery, I think virtually all claims I've seen before have been from people adding vented piston heads, which generally means adding bearings to the piston as well if nothing else which could have made up all the gains, it's nice to hear from people who've tested single changes with parts like that though.

I actually have a stock ICS M4 bought specifically for when I was testing my original airbrake prototypes, the split gearbox saves so much time for testing parts like that although no good for you testing SOPMOD specific springs, not much good if I add SOPMOD piston heads to my range either :(

Made a couple more tweaks. Took the M110 out and put an M100 in. Also replaced the cylinder with a 4/5ths lonex one (which should give me a 1.9:1 ratio).

Now seeing 330-340ish (on the stock 6.08 barrel). :)

A bit more fettling still required though - I've managed to strip the wires *again*. Grrr. However, if it all works when I get it back together and stays around the same fps then it's not getting touched again...

The speed of the semi-auto in the video can't be just from the MOSFET alone surely?  I've played with my short SCAR-L at semi-only sites a few times and did have a few fair problems with locking up, so the way that thing was running (faster than he could pull the trigger) just looks immense.

I think it's probably a combination of an 11.1v LiPo and cycle completion on the gearbox, with the ARL removed it's pretty much impossible to lock a V2 through normal usage.

Once the spectre drops I'll be running 11.1v in my SOCOM, the rate of fire limiter on the MOSFET will stop it being ridiculous while keeping the near instant trigger response :-)

I posted a video of a Sopmod with MOSFET, running a crappy 8.4v 1300mah pack which I could spam crazy fast. It honestly makes all the difference in the world for a next gen because they have to work the extra recoil unit, usually going through a quick change system.

It's an instant 20% increase in power and bypassing the trigger for the main current means faster activation.

Why is there no solid stock for this yet? It would make life so much easier. All you'd need would be a different buffer tube that would be pretty similar to the existing one, just with a different end.

Actually, I wonder if you could just machine another end cap up instead. Where the existing end cap sits, keeping the recoil assembly in, you'd just make another one that screwed in the same way but had a central thread to allow it to accept a screw, which you'd use to secure a full stock in place.

You then wouldn't need to do anything with all the gold contacts, etc, because you could do a direct wire to the gearbox with the wire passing through under the buffer tube.

UTG-AR15-FFK-2.gif

A real one. Buffer tube screws in (like Marui one), fixed top slides over tube and screws in place.

I posted a video of a Sopmod with MOSFET, running a crappy 8.4v 1300mah pack which I could spam crazy fast. It honestly makes all the difference in the world for a next gen because they have to work the extra recoil unit, usually going through a quick change system.

It's an instant 20% increase in power and bypassing the trigger for the main current means faster activation.

Was that with all the rest of the internals stock?

Why is there no solid stock for this yet? It would make life so much easier. All you'd need would be a different buffer tube that would be pretty similar to the existing one, just with a different end.

Actually, I wonder if you could just machine another end cap up instead. Where the existing end cap sits, keeping the recoil assembly in, you'd just make another one that screwed in the same way but had a central thread to allow it to accept a screw, which you'd use to secure a full stock in place.

You then wouldn't need to do anything with all the gold contacts, etc, because you could do a direct wire to the gearbox with the wire passing through under the buffer tube.

UTG-AR15-FFK-2.gif

A real one. Buffer tube screws in (like Marui one), fixed top slides over tube and screws in place.

I'm sure if you go back a hundred pages you can find the posts when I made that m16a3. I've still got some adaptors somewhere. Basically an end cap with a piece of metal long enough to fill the void with a threaded hole in the end. Thread the end cap on , stock on , tighten up .

Typically though you will have to lose the locking ring and use the stock to hold the stock tube against the lower. And mod the stock insides.

Not everyone's cup of taw full stock but hopefully marui do there own in May, line survivor film might just have been enough screen time if a full stocked m4 to do it haha

Edited by Richard Y

I love the Marui recoil platform. Imo it`s one of the most innovative thing we`ve seen in airsoft for quite some time. Obviously the M4 based rifles are the flagships. But I think they did quite well with the AKs, Scar and G36s too. But I would love too see them expand their horizons even further.

Hopefully the HK417 is not that far away. After all VFC/Umarex will sooner or later finish their initial campaign with the 417. Hopefully Marui will obtain a license, like they did with the 416.

Marui has a proud tradition with the MP5. I would love to see that continue with a recoil MP5.  Even more eager to see a recoil MP7. They already make a brilliant aeg MP7. But it`s a tiny package, so might be bit of a problem with the recoil unit.

But if Marui really were to be out of their way innovative, they would expand their horizons into the lmg market.  Both the SF/MK3 versions of the Minimi (7.62 too) come with a retractable stock with a buffer tube. I think that would be very well suited for a recoil unit, along with a  next gen V2 recoil gearbox in the receiver. The have already obtained  license from FN for the Scar. So why not...

Batteries  to be placed in the magazine, or in a peq.

Hoping for a FN Mag too. But that might be pushing it…. :greedy:

Hopefully the Marui staff are reading this. There is money to be made.

Edited by arne71

Interesting, just the sort of info I was looking for although I'm not sure what I'm more suprised by, opening a gearbox just to vent a piston head or the 40fps jump! It certainly sounds more like the vents actually work to prolong an airseal/lifespan of an o-ring but probably don't do much for well fitting brand new ones.

Glad to help. I would certainly guess that the vents help push worn o-rings outwards against the piston for better seals in the event of o-ring wear. As for opening a gearbox for nothing other than venting a pistonhead, after you've opened enough gearboxes and guns (must be 500+ by now), it simply doesn't take that long any more - I can change the spring in a G&G M14 in under 15 minutes and in a front-wired M4 in less than 10!

How long ago did you email me? If it was a while ago then I may have just missed it  :blush: I don't recall any emails about modifiying barrels, if it was recently then you should have had a reply by now. Also there are no 'guys', it's just me that runs LPE :P

Email stuff all sorted, thanks very much! I'm impressed that it's just you, I'd have guessed that there'd be at least three guys considering the amount of stuff you put out! Good luck and keep it up! Edited by Aod

You have just described the ARS CNC'd endcap; it's designed exactly for this sort of application. It's $18.00 at Echigoya; I don't think Richard has them in stock at the moment. I have one (I bought their entire buffer tube assembly) and it's brilliant; I can't recommend their stuff enough.

If you want to fit a full stock, you'll need a GBBR/RS specification one (Recoil Shock AR-15s' buffer tubes are closer to GBBR than AEG specification in diameter) and to file away some of the plate at the receiver end of the stock to stop it interfering with the extrusions on the underside of the buffer tube used to secure the bit with the stock catch holes.

• Like 1

I got mine from Echigoya - I bought the complete assembly (the buffer tube, the castle nut and the end cap) - and it looks in stock there to me at least. Try the link in my post?

[EDIT]Sorry - are you talking about the end cap, or the entire buffer tube assembly? The end cap is still in stock. The complete assemblies aren't, but the buffer tube (the most important part) is available; pair that with the endcap and a castle nut from another manufacturer (First Factory make one) and you'd be most of the way there. Really only Echigoya can source parts from ARS reliably; I'm not sure what the relationship between them and ARS is but it's close. Eagle6 could get some of the parts, and I think has recently re-established contact with ARS, but the distances involved make things more complex.[/EDIT]

Edited by PureSilver

Ah, thanks for the answer. I was actually thinking about the complete set with the improved recoil weight, but I'm not sure if thats a big difference anyways, I already got the stronger recoil spring from Eagle6. I also have the First Factory castle nut, so maybe I will go for the buffer tube alone, as mine is already a little worn and crooked. 

You have just described the ARS CNC'd endcap; it's designed exactly for this sort of application. It's $18.00 at Echigoya; I don't think Richard has them in stock at the moment. I have one (I bought their entire buffer tube assembly) and it's brilliant; I can't recommend their stuff enough.

If you want to fit a full stock, you'll need a GBBR/RS specification one (Recoil Shock AR-15s' buffer tubes are closer to GBBR than AEG specification in diameter) and to file away some of the plate at the receiver end of the stock to stop it interfering with the extrusions on the underside of the buffer tube used to secure the bit with the stock catch holes.

Oooh, useful info, thanks. :)

Is the method of attachment not a bit different at the receiver end though? Castle nut doesn't seem to be present on the full stock, it's all part of the buffer tube assembly. Or at least that's how it seems from the pictures.