Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Be careful :D. My Magic Box piston broke with only a 7.4V 1280mAh. Everyone thought I was attempting to push the ROF like crazy but really that wasn't my intention. Will need to measure what ROF I'm getting but testing is hard in Tokyo 'cos I can't really shoot at home - neighbours will complain about noise.

well ive got to go in side this one any way and service it before it goes back, ill take a look for anywear after emptying a few mags. And upsetting my neighbours too lol the other week i was shooting the fence at the bottom and the owner burst through his gate looking for holes or something lol. i hadnt really thought about it but the end of my fence was also the back of his... my bad

01072010410.jpg

01072010409.jpg

what you need to do when wiring the rear stock directly is make two extension leads. one coming from the wires after you unsolder the old connector. Then another lead which plugs in like the battery would with another length of wire coming off it, this is the pull through lead.

The first you make just the right length so on full extension the deans just pokes through. when installing the stock you use the second extension lead to pull the other lead through the whole in the stock left after removing everything.

you will need to dremel the deans connectors so they are half the size.

the sliding stock function isnt as smooth as the proper sopmod version but it does work still.

The wires are now visiable once the end caps on but like i say, even if you just fit a small 9.6v battery the rof increase would be more in line with normal aegs..

the rof loss on these guns isnt the weight system its the electrical funky rail system...

the gold contact bars from diamond ring may fix that to a degree. but theres such a big difference.

if i added a mosfet and direct wiring.. jesus... its just so different than what im used to. Theres nothing wrong with the normal sopmods rof. its nice as its toned back with the recoil, bit more realistic than crazy. direct wiring makes it feel like its going to turn into a mini black hole in your hands while your firing it in full auto.

and both guns have equally chrisp singles .. theres not much between them in that regard... probably due to the switch / trigger contact system being different to version 2. its a bit longer with the the stopper post built into the switch rather than it being on the gearbox casing.

I meant gettig a socom instead of a sopmod and adding deans, less than 10 minutes, but if the owner already has a SOPMOD... I didnt say anything unsure.gif

BTW: anybody knows where to get cheap KAC rails? i sold my RASII as I prefer the looks of the regular rail :)

Lesson in shimming learned the hard way :(

the Sopmod does love its eccentricity’s..

I’m gunna have to put all this into a video or something its pretty specific what you need to do shimming wise on the sop.

i got to play, and the sopmod truly owned with its range a little too much at times i think.. being summer there was a lot of bushes and low down bracken, the UK power limits hinder low penetrating shots somewhat but the range i was getting when we got in the open, they would have to basically point their guns in the air and rain down rounds to match the range i was getting but just setting the hop to near max.

The firefly rubber soft and nub (soft / normal) is mental, I’ve never seen every bb hold true to basically 50 + meters on full hop. I wouldn’t have minded a little, you actually play with the assumption it’s going to go one left one right of the target, but they all go on target so you have to be a bit more precise with your shots. which is good though.

In this situation with the woodland being built up, people got within 50meters pretty easy.

So we discused the whole DMR sopmod recce thing, based on my sops performance theres no daubt the recce could push the boundrys of range in airsoft. while still maintaining an on target shot. Its a difficult one becuase at range you normally need a burst to get them before they hide behind a tree. at 425 fps single only the dmr could get there quicker, but the guy will still be behind a tree... a burst might be the only way to get him..

That siad the extra power would be extra penertration in the scrub / head height undergrowth.

I guess untill its done we wont know if its a good idea or not

Im gonna put your spring in that's the last time I'll open up my Sopmod (ok, famous last words ;-)). But I do find there are so many things to keep track of...every time I open it's like I lose compression, or full auto, or no electrical connectivity, and the list goes on.

Fully agree with you on Firefly Kurage's. They're simply brilliant!

Hi guys,

I have just bought a Socom and but a Eagle6 spring in it. It came out at 330fps so I decided to also add a tanio koba barrel as I have never used one.

WOW the accuracy is impressive. I shoot .28g guarders and they are straight and true al the way to 50 meters. I have a firefly soft rubber on the way from japan so hopefully that will add to it smile.gif

Edited by sniper34d

nah range is easy on the sopmod you just crank the hop unit up a bit and with a decent hop rubber it will hold true. the 0.28s will do the rest the extra weight stops any wind taking it off target.

Its becuase of the great hop allowing us to have greater control over the heavier ammo which lets us get the 50 meters maybe 60 easierly..

The only thing id like is more power, i wouldnt try to shoot further with the dmr but id like to have a more straighter, faster direct shot to 50 meters. With out having to increase the hop which detracts from the speed to target.

tk twist is great at 330! any more or less its not so great..

guarders look really nice for the price, im trying to get them bad boys instock..

for me the best is still the 6.01 BUT you have to take the barrel and hop rubber assembly appart and clean it pritty much before every game if you want to maintain that high level..

so lets be honest the price vs time and effort.. the pdi is not the most appealing but still my fav.. given unlimited cash and choice.

oh and welcome to the sopmod club sniper34d

Many thanks:)

So do you have a 400ish fps spring ready or is it still work in progress? Quick question though regarding a DMR fixed to semi... What happens if you get a lock up? How are you going to release it without auto?

Edited by sniper34d

guarder 0.28s for the win, got 60 bags on route hehe.

Negatory on the 400 fps spring, got the recoil weight to do this month. And well thats gunna cost loads so gotta focus on that.

As soon as they are done though ill sort it out. Im sure they be done by oct. Ready for winter and dmr season.

Lock up only happens on the sopmod because of not enough power, if your going for a dmr, id imagine youd want a high voltage bat like an 11.1v to maximise trigger response.

The firefly rubber soft and nub (soft / normal) is mental, I've never seen every bb hold true to basically 50 + meters on full hop. I wouldn't have minded a little, you actually play with the assumption it's going to go one left one right of the target, but they all go on target so you have to be a bit more precise with your shots. which is good though.

Richard, what nub are you using with the Firefly rubber? The strangely shaped Firefly nub?