Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Hi there.

Got a new TM CQB-R.

My Question is if any one can help me. (I'm confused.)

Using the correct charger TM SOPMOD Charger. I'm Using a Down Step Converter 240v - 110v due to living in the UK.

I've been told the charger does 300 mAh a hour. And the standard Battery is 1300 mAh. So it should take 4hrs to 4.5hrs' ish... Is this Correct??

How long should i allow it to charge for.

When using it, the light on the SOPMOD charger took around 6hrs when it turned off. It was very hot too. (Concerned) Does it have a time Switch function?

Is the Converter Slowing the Charge? This is what i'm using eBay (Charger).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/240V-UK-110V-USA-Voltage-Convertor-Step-Down-45W-/170588630343?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item27b7dfed47#ht_1474wt_907

I don't want to overcharge the battery and i want to have the maxim charge to last Some Games.

Many thanks, Sorry if this has been brought up before? blink.gif

Edited by kithooton
I've been told the charger does 300 mAh a hour. And the standard Battery is 1300 mAh. So it should take 4hrs to 4.5hrs' ish... Is this Correct??

The convertor isn't slowing it down.

There is some energy loss when charging a battery. A 1300mAh can take 1-1.5 times its capacity before being fully charged.

Well, I've failed to even get the stock off on my CQBR today. The schematics look the same as the sopmod stock, but try as I might I'm having no luck. Have watched the video "just pull this pin out and slide it off". I've been swinging off it with pliers and that pin is *not* coming down any further, but still the stock stops at position 6.

Amusingly it will probably be irrelevant anyway, since that hardened stock piece doesn't actually seem to feature in the CQBR anyway. Although I still have a spring/locking ring to swap.

Any suggestions? Anything involving masses of force with pliers/hammers etc usually ends badly for me.

Hi there.

Got a new TM CQB-R.

My Question is if any one can help me. (I'm confused.)

Using the correct charger TM SOPMOD Charger. I'm Using a Down Step Converter 240v - 110v due to living in the UK.

How long should i allow it to charge for.

When using it, the light on the SOPMOD charger took around 6hrs when it turned off. It was very hot too. (Concerned) Does it have a time Switch function?

Is the Converter Slowing the Charge? This is what i'm using eBay (Charger).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/240V-UK-110V-USA-Voltage-Convertor-Step-Down-45W-/170588630343?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item27b7dfed47#ht_1474wt_907

I don't want to overcharge the battery and i want to have the maxim charge to last Some Games.

Many thanks, Sorry if this has been brought up before? blink.gif

You need √2 x total capacity.

Which in your case is √2 (1.414) x 1300mah = 1838mah

On a 300mah charger this means your charge should take 6.1 hours for a totally flat battery. (1838 ÷ 300 = 6.1)

Hope this helps.

Cheers for that Rich. I understand the principle and you couldn't make a clearer video, just seems reluctant to go.

Aha! Done it!

As said by the guy in the comments, with the CQBR stock, you actually want to pull up on the bit you would normally push down on (the rear part of the lever). Finally!

I think I shall leave taking the gaerbox/stock ring, etc apart until *after* today's skirmish though. :)

Hmmm. Gotta think hard about this, oh why not :D. Welcome to the M4 recoil shock club!!

I got pics now! biggrin.gif

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

Magpul PTS grip is on it's way ;)

Also got a question:

Got a PDI 6.05mm TB and a Prometheus HU bucking lying here. Anyone used any of those in their SOPMOD's?

Rich,

Watching your videos.

Skipping on... When you take the Stock off the sopmod. Do you have access to the buffer tube. unscrew and access the recoil spring.

Can you change the recoil spring without doing anything else?

Eagle 6

Recoil Spring Upgrade?

Edited by kithooton

Rich,

Watching your videos.

Skipping on... When you take the Stock off the sopmod. Do you have access to the buffer tube. unscrew and access the recoil spring.

Can you change the recoil spring without doing anything else?

Yes, you only need to unscrew the buffer tube cap and you access the whole recoil mech, take the spring out and swap it. Piece of cake.

So, I just spent a bit of cash on a Load of Promy upgrade parts for my Socom as well as an m4 length block 2rail which I'm fairly excited about.

Also put in an order to eagle 6 for one of the recoil springs! Excited.

Richard, that's exciting news about the ECUs on your site, I know it was only about 2 weeks ago you posted the news about the sop mod exclusive ECU, but any news!? Really wanting to fit a MOSFET on my gat.

Also, has anybody tried to make any sort of DMR based on the Sopmod/socom platform!? I'm really interested in doing one, with semi auto only and pushing 400 ish FPS.

Richard, the full length m16 you made, how did you extend the barrel? Any plans on releasing a longer barrel for the sop mod? Perhaps one which is in sections!? It's a shame that the Recce isn't going to be sold over here! Although I suppose a DMR SCAR wouldn't be all that bad!

An easy fix could be to use a silencer to extend the barrel, but then you have problems with the barrel not being supported through the can.

Is the recce definitely "not being sold over here" or is it just insufficient units for the home market making it unlikely to turn up here? I'm sure you could get one from one of the HK retailers if you were so inclined.

I did wonder if PDI might do a longer barrel, but they seem to just have the 10.3/10.5's so it looks like M4 + silencer is the current option. Either that or waiting, since it seems inevitable that the rest of the AR15 range will be released as recoil too, given that it's just the barrel and rear stock that would need designing.

Only thing with a DMR scar would be I'd want to use a SCAR heavy instead.

The recce is a limitid edition product. It`s rather hard to come by outside of Japan/Hong Kong. Fortunately I managed to get hold of one, from Japan.

I `m planning to convert it to a dmr. Have all the prometheus internals lined up. Just waiting for a M120 spring from Richard. Also changed to a Magpul stock.

post-64779-0-75199700-1295994190_thumb.jpg

Richard, that's exciting news about the ECUs on your site, I know it was only about 2 weeks ago you posted the news about the sop mod exclusive ECU, but any news!? Really wanting to fit a MOSFET on my gat.

This ^ and I might add a question, are those ECUs programmable to shoot 3rds burst in auto?

I really want to transform my socom into a PTW killer :)

righty few questions there..

The recce is in stock in the uk at zero one, i reckon they only have a handfull. grab it while you can, Its limited run not limited edition, TM are making a second run in feb. So it will be an on going product but its obviously low stock levels so it sells out quick, and japan gets a look in first.

The ecu is two peice, ie the top portion is removable and therefore in the future maybe a alternative part can be brought giving 3 round burst but atm, its just a very high current mosfet and electronic switch.

~Benifits incl

An extremely high transfer of current, the one i tested seemed to substaintially increase power on the motor.

Faster single response

Increased rof.

If you add a little material to the trigger you can create a hair trigger effect.

no more lockups or trigger contact problems since your removing the old style blade system.

And i think they will only be about 55 quid a touch over what a normal mosfet costs any way.. good times!

no ab but it doesnt need it as the electric switch cuts off very quickly.

Lets get the first lot done then we can worry about extras and different versions later.

The m16, thats up for sale or swaps. 900 cash or 500 plus a socom of any description..

S1160004.jpg

Thats cheaper than what it cost me to make, and well i can always make another, i figure theres some one out there who might want an m16 sopmod but doesnt want the hassle of having to make it etc.. if you already have socom think of this as sending the gun to me, paying 500 to pimp it and having it come back as an m16 lol

theres a vid on the you tube too

The new springs are almost done, basically m100 + 14% = m110 and m100 + 28% = m120...

depending on what fps they produce i may well jump straight into a m130...

Its not really important that they produce exact, certain fps's but more important that we have the whole range there to choose from, in winter guns tend to chrono a little low, so we are getting m100s chronoing at 330 when they where 350 a prime time for someone to have an m110 in the bag, get an instant 14% power increase... and be more competive for the sake of a 10 min spring change...

Is the recce definitely "not being sold over here" or is it just insufficient units for the home market making it unlikely to turn up here? I'm sure you could get one from one of the HK retailers if you were so inclined.

I did wonder if PDI might do a longer barrel, but they seem to just have the 10.3/10.5's so it looks like M4 + silencer is the current option. Either that or waiting, since it seems inevitable that the rest of the AR15 range will be released as recoil too, given that it's just the barrel and rear stock that would need designing.

Only thing with a DMR scar would be I'd want to use a SCAR heavy instead.

I'd love a scar H! That would literally be a dream come true!

Also, it's good news that we can get the Recce over here! Will have to seriously consider that!

Richard, sign me up for one of the ECU's when they arrive!!