Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

About the Madbull Mk18 Ris II, is there a difference between the madbull and the socom gear version? Because two friends got the socom gear version and both rails did fit without modification. As far as I know there are two barrel nut thread types, a smaller one and a bigger one, where the Marui Sopmod has the smaller one. I tried the G&P URX II rail (which has the bigger thread) and of course it was a bit loose, but still did fit when I tightened it enough.

So I'm a bit confused now, when I read that some peoples RIS II rails dont fit, because that would mean there is a third kind of thread size!? I already read a few times that the RIS II wont fit, as well as that it does fit (to the standart AEG thread which should be the same as the Marui one, the G&P threads being the exception).

My problem is that I want the FDE version and all Socom Gear versions are out of stock (which I already know that they fit), but the question is whether the Madbull version is really different. I was under the impression that Socom Gear just rebrands the very same products that are produced by Madbull, but maybe I'm wrong.

Does anyone have acctual measurements of the threads or had experience with both the Madbull and the Socom Gear version?

Edited by Lord Vader

*snip*

That surprised me as well actually I have to say. I don't own any SG/Madbull rails but I can say for certain that the thread on the TM receiver is definitely the TM standard spec, I've run various barrel nuts on to my SOCOMs which also fit just fine on all my other guns which are the standard spec. Also, from what I've been told madbull puts the standard threading on to their rails, and in fact I'm pretty sure the Recce uses a madbull handguard, so I'm not sure why there's a fitment issue myself.

I asked my friends again and it turned out they have the madbull version after all, at least the box said madbull. So I'm going to order it now. Still can't imagine that the socom gear version is different, but well. When I got it, I hopefully can confirm again that, at least the madbull one fits.

Well i had mine for over a year, they might have adapted in the meantime.

I remember exchanging emails with the manufacturer, and they were unsure whether it would fit. On one hand they said - it should fit - but on the other they said they heard there's something peculiar about Sopmods threading.

From what I tested both the VFC KAC URX II and the Kingarms Larue Stealth rails fit ok ;)

'Snatches'? You mean just occasionally or in phases?

There isn't all that much material linked to the bolt release paddle to be honest, either it's the little piece on the magazine that's getting a bit stuck or the small metal links inside the lower that're binding up a bit. If you fire it with an empty mag so it locks then take the mag out is it still hard to press? That'd eliminate one thing.

just watch with hammering as if the lower and upper are misaligned you could push outwards the lower reciever and as you can imagine the cast metal doesnt bend, it will just crack all the way along. Ive had several people buy lower recievers off me for that reason, expensive mistake.

So, just installed the Tanio Koba barrel. Had to enlarge the Hop Up Buffer ruber to make the TM HopUp bucking work. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Accuracy looks like that of the Madbull barrel. Just tested it with different sorts of BBs. Next step ist testing the range during a game :)

So, just installed the Tanio Koba barrel. Had to enlarge the Hop Up Buffer ruber to make the TM HopUp bucking work. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Accuracy looks like that of the Madbull barrel. Just tested it with different sorts of BBs. Next step ist testing the range during a game :)

Can't say that I had that problem myself but I used a guarder clear hop rubber when I put in the TK.

In fact, I found the rubber/barrel combo to be a better fit than my previous offing of a standard 6.03 and firefly rubber, resulting in the energy output rising by 0.15J (which I found quite unusual as the fps should and usually does drop with the twist barrel).

I can't say that I noticed any massive increase in range as I always found the sopmod hop to be as good as it gets but I did notice an improvement in "groupings", especially with 0.25's