Modern Ranger Loadout

Silas5150

After getting a taste of some real-world gear a while ago, I've started to alter my loadout and substitute everything for real-deal gear. I'm aiming at a modern ranger loadout (as in ACUs), but I'm not quite sure where to go. This is what I have coming in the mail....

EAGLE RRV in Ranger Green

PACA soft armor in Ranger Green

EAGLE Double M4 Pouches in Ranger Green x2

EAGLE Admin Pouch in Ranger Green

EAGLE Upright utility pouch in Ranger Green

So far from what I've learned I know that sidearms aren't usually prevalent, so I don't need to worry about that for now, if at all. What else will I need to pull the loadout together in terms of a first, second, and third line, as well as helmet/boot/gloves? Here are some of the pics I've been looking at to generate ideas....

2Rangers.jpg

070807-A-2599B-014.jpg

Ranger3-1.jpg

Ranger4-1.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for gloves I would go with black mechanix, helmet MICH in TAN with NVG mount, boots merrell Sawtooth, grenade pouch in ranger green, alta kneepads, canteen pouch ranger green, MBITR pouch ranger green, eagle belt, and for a good impression PCU level 5. If possible you are also going to want to look for an RRV back panel to add a MAP in Ranger Green

Your closest way (without knowing a guy who knows a guy and spending a million dollars) to get a good ranger kit would be RRV with backplate over a PACA or PC withe cummerbund loaded with Eagle pouches in Ranger Green, everything Ranger Green. Here is some SOP:

"The Rhodesian vest is usually just used for training. The plate carrier with the cumberbund is what we carry in combat.

SOP on the MICH helmet is its painted Rustoleum 1917 khaki with bunny ears velcroed on the back, and two strips of 3x2 black velcro on the top and rear for IR tags. Alot of us have the new diamond shaped NODs mounts now too. You want a piece of 550 cord going through the top as a tie-down. The uniform is ACUs with just a subdued IR flag and no other unit identification. We used to be able to wear Merrills and such, but thats changing very soon. Now its any desert tan boot 8" tall. Basically we got legified. Oh and you want one of those Rigger belts too with like a safety lanyard to hook up into the floor of C17s or blackhawks. Only Oakley A-Frames or M-Frames are allowed."

Excellent! Thanks for the input. I did some searching and I found that triad tactical actually stocks the rear plate carrier for the RRV in Ranger Green, and it should be on my doorstep sometime next week. Because I don't know, is it possible to purchase an aftermarket cumberbund that could work with an RRV/Rear plate carrier combo? I think I'm going to stick with the RRV because 1) I already purchased it, and 2) it'll offer me a little bit more flexibilty.

About the MICH, I'm assuming that the model used is the 2002 version, correct? As for the NVG mount, would this: http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/...il?prodID=15902

be an acceptable substitution for this?:

http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/...il?prodID=17905

Lastly, if you haven't noticed, I'm not as up on helmets as I am on gear. What are bunny ears? Are they the goggle retention straps? Also, I'm a bit lost with the tie down. How does that work?

Thanks for the help, it's MUCH appreciated.

If I were you, I would go for the Army Issue Interceptor Vest. I got mine in ACU for about $70 from ebay. It didn't come with any NJ IIA inserts, but it looks cool, Mil Spec, and good enough for airsoft....or for cosplay :D

Btw, I recognize the last pic to be some airsofter. Are the rest airsofters? And go ahead and correct me if I am wrong.

If I were you, I would go for the Army Issue Interceptor Vest. I got mine in ACU for about $70 from ebay. It didn't come with any NJ IIA inserts, but it looks cool, Mil Spec, and good enough for airsoft....or for cosplay :D

Btw, I recognize the last pic to be some airsofter. Are the rest airsofters? And go ahead and correct me if I am wrong.

From what I understand, rangers for the most part don't use the Interceptor system. Also, I'm fairly positive the last pic isn't an airsofter. The bipod on the MK46 is rounded, which, as far as I know, is only found on the real steel. All of the pictures are reposts from another site that claimed they were all rangers.

Sounds pretty good so far. The helmet mount you posted (the cheaper one) is shown on the front guy in the 3rd picture. I don't know how often it is used but at least you have a reference that uses it.

You could also get a Petzl e+LITE to replicate what the front guy in the 3rd picture has.

About the MICH, I'm assuming that the model used is the 2002 version, correct?

No, they're using the 2000 model of the MICH, the 2002 has very little of the ears left. But I can't wait to see the loadout!

Out of curiousity, what pistol would a ranger carry, if he did carry one? Because I'm sure some of the Marksmen/Support gunners do carry one, I'm assuming using a Safariland.

All pics above are real- NOT AIRSOFT and they don't use the interceptor vests....

As for NVG mounts the newer norotos mounts a.k.a. diamond shaped mounts are starting to be used more and more by rangers but both of the above work.

As for gloves you can also use Hatch or Oakleys but mechanix are the cheapest and very common in SF/SOF units.

Excellent! Thanks for the input. I did some searching and I found that triad tactical actually stocks the rear plate carrier for the RRV in Ranger Green, and it should be on my doorstep sometime next week. Because I don't know, is it possible to purchase an aftermarket cumberbund that could work with an RRV/Rear plate carrier combo? I think I'm going to stick with the RRV because 1) I already purchased it, and 2) it'll offer me a little bit more flexibilty.

About the MICH, I'm assuming that the model used is the 2002 version, correct? As for the NVG mount, would this: http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/...il?prodID=15902

be an acceptable substitution for this?:

http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/...il?prodID=17905

Lastly, if you haven't noticed, I'm not as up on helmets as I am on gear. What are bunny ears? Are they the goggle retention straps? Also, I'm a bit lost with the tie down. How does that work?

Thanks for the help, it's MUCH appreciated.

It's not easy to get the after market MOLLE cummerbund which the rangers use so the RRV with back plate is ok. Also, they use an MBSS backplate (which are stupid expensive and rare as hell in ranger green) so I suggested the standard backplate as that has been seen in use.

That other mount will do fine but you can get real ones on ebay for just as much if not cheaper.

Bunny ears are goggle retention straps. Tie down is a reference to attaching your NODS (night vision) to the mout with 550 cord as to not lose them.

The OTV (interceptor) is not used by rangers. Also, none of those pictures are of airsofters.

No, they're using the 2000 model of the MICH, the 2002 has very little of the ears left. But I can't wait to see the loadout!

Out of curiousity, what pistol would a ranger carry, if he did carry one? Because I'm sure some of the Marksmen/Support gunners do carry one, I'm assuming using a Safariland.

From the words of a Ranger friend: "Most typically you will see Squad Leaders and Team Leaders with pistols, Machinegunners, Mortarmen, M3 "goose" gunners and some snipers. In a 9 man squad you might see as many as 3 to 4 pistols. They are of course all m-9 but are carried in a variety of holsters most typically on a thigh or hip holster. Thee execption to this is M240B and M3 gunners who seem to prefer modular holters rigged on their chest as it is easier to get to when the MG or M3 is hanging from its sling at waist level."

Thanks for the comments, I like Ranger Gear myself but I don't really have a full blown impression. I just started buying everything I wanted in Ranger Green as it's a great color over ACU and I live in Washington state so it blends better than MJK etc.

I'd just save yourself the $100 on the cummerbund and run the RRV with backplate over a PACA because its been done. Also, I think the DBT cummerbund mounts on 5 rows of webbing which is not going to center its self on anything but an FAPC (which its shown on in the picture) as the FAPC has 7 rows of pals webbing.

Thanks for the comments, I like Ranger Gear myself but I don't really have a full blown impression. I just started buying everything I wanted in Ranger Green as it's a great color over ACU and I live in Washington state so it blends better than MJK etc.

I'd just save yourself the $100 on the cummerbund and run the RRV with backplate over a PACA because its been done. Also, I think the DBT cummerbund mounts on 5 rows of webbing which is not going to center its self on anything but an FAPC (which its shown on in the picture) as the FAPC has 7 rows of pals webbing.

Alright, thanks! Like I said earlier, I have an Eagle RRV in RG backordered and an Eagle RRV backplate paid for and on the way, so all told I should have everything (minus the helmet) by mid-April, mid-May. I'll get pics up of the stuff as it comes, and when its completed.

I'm putting together a kit too based on the Mk46 gunner in the last pic.

Like said a lot the RRV really is used a lot in training. Nobody really knows what the vest is they're wearing though, it's like an Eagle PC with an accessory cummerbund. I found one on ebay a few months ago but it was OD, not RG.

For gloves, in one of the pictures, the sr25 ones, the guy is wearing ironclads. I see mechanix used a bit with SEALs, not as much with rangers though.

For headwear they wear MICH 2000s, MSA Sordins, and Oakley M-Frames with clear lenses. The helmets are painted with this like anti-rust paint, somebody told me the company but I forgot. Norotos NVG mount looks the most common.

And for sidearm (if any) an M9.

Archived