Fortress M40A3 stock (for VSR) review

Fortress M40A3 stock for VSR

short review

Airsoft is a hobby where we happily pump hundreds of dollars into a new project, parts, accessories - and expect some kind of satisfaction or improvement in return. In the case of the Fortress M40a3 stock all we get is the looks of the USMC sniper rifle, everything else is worse than the original VSR. No "happy hormones" here, just a lot of swearing when we encounter one problem after another.

I ordered my specimen from fire-support.co.uk after reading the all the available reviews (airsoftsniper.co.uk for example), knowing well these stocks have a nasty tendency to break (at the charging handle area) even before they hit the field. I expected bad, but it was even worse... For the sake of simplicity, let’s see the pros and numerous cons of this very unfortunate design:

PROS

- Good weight and balance

- Adjustable length of pull and cheek rest

- Solid, integrated trigger guard (no squeaky VSR trigger guard)

- Looks great (OK, at arms length)

- Unique (out of production, no other M40A3 stock ATM)

- Arrived steel mesh reinforced from UK dealer (respect to fire-support for trying something)

- Ambidextrous QD sling points

CONS

- Reinforcement work by dealer is shoddy (white glue marks, runs, drops inside the stock)

- Only 2 stock screws included instead of 3 (and only 1 is the correct size)

- Stock material is soft

- Visible seam lines all over the stock

- Large molding leftovers, seams inside the magazine well

- Magwell has no ribs/spacers to align magazine (mag falls through magwell)

- Air bubbles in the molding

- Absence of material at mag release area (see bubbles)

- Various molding imperfections, misalignments (lines, seams not meeting correctly)

- No sling/bipod studs (and no stud holes)

- Misplaced markings for sling stud holes

- Spring guide stopper is not fully secured by the trigger guard (stopper has a lot of play)

- Adjustable cheekpad interferes with operating the bolt (with strong springs)

- Cheekpad material is too thin, has sharp edges

- Cheekpad misaligned with axis of stock

- Copper screw nuts (for the cheek- and buttpad screws) eject from stock when screws are tightened (easy to lose screws, extremely bad design)

- Buttpad and butt spacers do not align correctly

- Buttpad is hard plastic with razor edges

- Recessed mag well, hard to remove magazine, sharp edges

- Stock deforms, flexes when screwed to receiver/barrel assembly

- Stock deformation can cause mag release and trigger binding

- Soft stock material flexes, creaks, wobbles under weight of receiver/barrel assembly (pistol grip area is very weak)

- Stock material is too soft for heavy duty sling carry (throwing the rifle on sling might break it)

Conclusion

To put short, the Fortress M40A3 is the biggest POS I ever bought for airsoft. You basically get $50-80 of worth for $330-340. Only recommended to those who like modding, working on guns (a lot). The stock must be reinforced in some way (metal inserts, fiberglassing, plating, etc) to eliminate the annoying flex. Let's hope the ACM manufacturers will come out with better designs for the fraction of the price.

Two valuable lessons learned:

1) avoid Fortess products by a mile (now they also have the M24 VSR stock out for $340),

2) never belittle the original Marui VSR stock, it's a wonderful piece of engineering compared to the M40A3...

You have been warned...

VSR-STOCOK-DT3L.jpg

VSR-STOCOK-L.jpg

m40a3b.jpg

Edited by Trasher

Wow. And it costs $340? How is that even possible?

2) never belittle the original Marui VSR stock, it's a wonderful piece of engineering compared to the M40A3...

Not to mention the stock you find on a ~$50 Well VSR, which is a little cruder than the Marui, but otherwise just fine. Seems to me that the Fortress stock is some kind of garage production, perhaps made in a jungle workshop. :P

The Fortress stock looks more like a pre-production prototype than a "for sale" replica... Sad thing is, the molding blocks must have costed a small fortune for a low series "garage production" like this.

Edited by Trasher
  • 4 months later...

The rifle was resting on the ground, and I lifted it by the sling. The material is simply too soft and rubber-like to support the weight.

I'm not sure what will be the fix... Maybe building parts of this POS around a VSR/BAR stock. Maybe forwarding the whole thing to the trash bin. :)

• 2 weeks later...