Armalite Picture Thread

The only way I've figured out how to do it, without modification, is with this setup:

It's not true to the H&K design, as it lacks that one larger chrome piece, but I've seen other gas pistons that look similar to the one in my picture.

-Vic

Edit: By the way, yes, this setup will also work with lower profile gas blocks. There will be a slight slope in the gas piston, though.

Heh I like your IAR, my solution was using the spring and a few other parts to fit over the old school gas tube. My problem now is through my excitement I glued both of my pistons together without checking if they fit. I have to spend some time to carefully pry them apart without bending or breaking anything.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you guys liking those stubby vertical grips? I always figured they would be kind funky with my pinky hang off like if i try to use a compact auto pistol.

Anyway I could get a side by side with the stubby grip and a regular one? PLEASE?

Edited by SniperSidd

Need an opinion from expert Armalite-er's :P

Recently built this:

IMG_9606.jpg

IMG_9608.jpg

I just sold the 2 crane stocks I originally had for it since I want to move to lipo batteries. Do you guys think a Vanaras PEQ15 with a lipo inside or a buffer tube lipo would work/look better? Also, can someone link me to a lipo that would fit in a buffer tube? Thanks :D

How are you guys liking those stubby vertical grips? I always figured they would be kind funky with my pinky hang off like if i try to use a compact auto pistol.

Anyway I could get a side by side with the stubby grip and a regular one? PLEASE?

+1 on what Vercingetorix said. Go to militarymoron.com and check out his reviews and pictures of stubby vfg and you'll get the just of it.

My pinky doesnt hang off as much as I thought it would. I guess I keep my hand closer to the top, sometimes holding it with a combination of handguard and grip. So for me its perfect. The top of the grip is rounded allowing you to hold it higher on the grip. I personally love the ease of being able to remove it. The lever lock holds it nicely in place without fear of it coming off. I agree with MM where they say the lever should be the oposite of your support hand. The shape of the grip isnt exactly round, it extends slightly on one side, allowing it to fit into your palm for a more comfortable hold.

Hope this gives you an idea on size:

IMG_5744.JPG

Say on a TM m4 ris , with a M203 on it, where would the battery go, except from in a peq?

If the m203 is a non-functioning one, it can go in there.. A lipo could fit in the rail system, provided it's big enough (But with a m203 mounted on the rail, it will look ridiculously big). Another option would be to fit an aftermarket magazine clamp, with a hollowed out magazine, the battery can go in there as well.

so basically, your only reasonable option would be to put it in the stock with a crane stock, and a regular battery fitted in it, or a small lipo in the buffer tube. 

I guess I keep my hand closer to the top, sometimes holding it with a combination of handguard and grip.

That's kind of the point. A lot of instructors (e.g. Chris Costa) advise shooting using the VFG as a support/index, rather than grabbing hold of it like a broom handle, and running your thumb up in line with the barrel. I found this worked well with my M4, and when my stubby VFG turns up, I'll be doing the same with my SCAR.

But yeah, that's basically the point of the stubby VFGs - if you're only using it to index, and most of your hand is up on the handguard of the rifle, the extra length of a full-length VFG is redundant and a greater snag risk, etc that is necessary.

That's kind of the point. A lot of instructors (e.g. Chris Costa) advise shooting using the VFG as a support/index, rather than grabbing hold of it like a broom handle, and running your thumb up in line with the barrel. I found this worked well with my M4, and when my stubby VFG turns up, I'll be doing the same with my SCAR.

But yeah, that's basically the point of the stubby VFGs - if you're only using it to index, and most of your hand is up on the handguard of the rifle, the extra length of a full-length VFG is redundant and a greater snag risk, etc that is necessary.

That's pretty much what I do too.

BTW, Vic, that IAR is coming along nicely. Not sure how I feel about the magwell expander though.

Finally finished off my "Chris Costa Special".

Swapped out the 10.5" barrel to a 11.5" barrel. Swapped out the pistol grip to a Magpul FDE MIAD. Also refinished my Vanaras PEQ-15 as well.

(Click pics for larger version)

chriscostacustom01smallvc3.jpg

chriscostacustom02smallxb8.jpg

ouside01smallfp4.jpg ouside02smallgu2.jpg

Updated Parts list:

* VFC SR16E3-URX (upgraded)

* Vanaras PEQ-15 in FDE (refinished)

* RS KAC Reflex Extension Mount

* RS Aimpoint COMP M3 (4 MOA), with Aimpoint Tan Cover and Killflash

* RS Surefire Tan M900 with FM13 IR Beamcover

* RS KAC Taupe Rail Covers (I also have RS Magpul XT Rail Covers in FDE ... Costa switched them in the second DVD)

* RS KAC 200-600M BUIS

* RS Magpul CTR (FDE / MilSpec)

* Magpul PTS PMAG mid-cap in FDE with RS Magpul PMAG Ranger Plate and EMGs

* Magpul PTS MIAD in FDE

* King Arms 11.5" Outer Barrel

Based off the RS rifle in the top of this pic:

http://magpuldynamics.com/training_images/md/01.jpg

Here's a couple close ups of the PEQ-15. Re-painted in Aluma-Hyde II to match Magpul FDE. Weathered a bit to show off the details. Unfinished they can look a little flat and the color's a bit off normally. There's a few things that could make it look more accurate but I'm satisfied with it and it's about as good as I'm gonna bother trying to make it:

peq1501sq7.jpgpeq1502gp9.jpg

Edited by uscmCorps
Need an opinion from expert Armalite-er's :P

Recently built this:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/aznrip...M4/IMG_9606.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/aznrip...M4/IMG_9608.jpg

I just sold the 2 crane stocks I originally had for it since I want to move to lipo batteries. Do you guys think a Vanaras PEQ15 with a lipo inside or a buffer tube lipo would work/look better? Also, can someone link me to a lipo that would fit in a buffer tube? Thanks :D

A lot of people like these Lipos for their buffer tubes:

http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1881

I use a similar one except I bought the 15C battery as the 20C wasn't out yet:

http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1769

The dimensions between the two seem to be the same according to their measurements.

The nice thing about your rifle is it's long and relatively sleek. Adding a PEQ-15 onto it might detract from that. Something to think about.

sorry if this is a noobish question, but on the lipo what is the secondary white connector for?

Lipos generally require a specialized charger made to work with them. The unusual looking small white connector plugs into the lipo charger. The other plug connects to your gun. I have all those crappy black plugs swapped out to female Deans Ultra Plugs normally. Also remember that you should NEVER charge a lipo with a charger not designed to work with them. It can be easy to forget that and plug the non-lipo connector into a regular non-lipo charger. That would be ... bad.

Very, very nice, Corps. When you get the time, if you can PM me how you perform the blackened weathering affect, I'd really quite appreciate it.

BTW, Vic, that IAR is coming along nicely. Not sure how I feel about the magwell expander though.

Once I get it up and running, we can say goodbye to the expander, as I'll be using a C-Mag with the IAR on occassion.

-Vic

Edited by Victory
Very, very nice, Corps. When you get the time, if you can PM me how you perform the blackened weathering affect, I'd really quite appreciate it.
Thanks Vic! The weathering effect is shockingly easy actually. Souske suggested it to me a while back when I was seeking his advice for my FDE M4.

Basically, you get some pastels and grind them up into a fine powder. I picked up some generic pastels from a nearby Aaron's Brothers (pseudo art framing store). I grabbed a packet of earth tone pastels as I couldn't find them separately. Picked out 2 or 3 colors from the package (a very dark brown (almost black), and a red-ish burnt earth pastel). I ground up some of the darker pastel first using a file. When I had enough, I decided a little of the red-ish burnt earth would spice up the color a touch, so I added a little of that and mixed it up (could have skipped the second color... it was a personal choice). After that I just applied the powdered pastels to the parts I wanted to weather using a paint brush. Because it's powdered, it won't stick to the parts well. I just shake off excess and rub in what's left over. In order for it to be semi-permanent, I just use a matte Krylon clear coat and give it a light dusting. And that's it. I have a bunch of extra ground up pastel powder that I just leave in a small container for whenever I need to weather another part.

Once I get it up and running, we can say goodbye to the expander, as I'll be using a C-Mag with the IAR on occasion.
Nice. I really wish an airsoft company would come out with a more realistic looking C-Mag. Especially one with a clear back and simulated rounds seen through it. That would be bad *albatross*!

Are you getting the Hero Arms Auto-Winding C-MAG?

Ditto on the good work Corps, Absolutely loving what you've done. Also you've got a PM coming your way
Thanks dude!

Very, very professionally done. How's the balance?

-Piano.

Thanks Piano! A bit front heavy as you might imagine. Not horrible... but not ideal either. I'll try running with it a couple times to see how it feels. I may end up ditching the M900 for a Tango Down FDE QD Stubby.