ACM M500 Hopup Mod

Five-sEvEn

I don't know how the ACM M500 is build, but I have previously added a hop-up to a gun that didn't originally have one. What I did was I took an AEG barrel and a hop rubber and then drilled out the barrel housing of the gun so that instead of just holding a barrel it could now hold a barrel with a hop up bucking wrapped around it. If you want to make it adjustable you drill and tap a hole over the hop up bucking and put in a small allen screw. Now when you tighten the screw it will press down on the hop up. So if the M500 has a inner barrel and a robust enough barrel housing, then it can be done. However it's my understanding that the ACM M500 fires multiple bb's from the same hole per shot, right? I'd hazard a guess that because the bb's will be traveling at different speeds, the hop up would affect them differently. It might make it fire in funky vertical spread.

Lol, thanks for the input everyone. I'm actually planning on turning the M500 into a pump action sniper rifle :P I've already figured out how to attach a silencer, making it the quietest gun in my collection, and I know about the 1BB mod. Seeing as the barrel cuts are incredibly simple, I'm really leaning towards doing what Yuri suggested.

the problem is how the chamber wraps around the end of the barrel. theres definatley enough barrel sticking out to hook up a VSR type hop up but there isnt enough space at all under the chamber hook up. there isnt enough room for even a wrapping of tephlon tape.

Built one last week. Was wondering why the 6mm didn't have a hop-up unit while the 8mm did. I just sort of copied the 8mm hop for the 6mm.

The whole thing is about 20mm long and 22.5mm wide. It consists of two halves (I carved mine out of plastic with a dremel) which are screwed together sandwiching the inner barrel and a square piece of rubber (I used a piece of an old tire interior about 2mm thick). Also, quite obviously you'll need to drill out a hole on the top part of the inner barrel.

The adjusting screw is just a regular screw with the head lopped off and a channel cut along the top to fit a screw driver, make sure to round the other end so it won't tear up the hop rubber. The entire hop unit is located immediately forward of the large chunk of aluminum that holds the inner barrel into the receiver.

hop.jpg

edit: blue = rubber, red = inner barrel. make the recess on the upper half slightly bigger than that of the lower half so it fits the piece of rubber snugly.

the reason why the 6mm doesn't have it is cause the 6mm doesn't need it(if you use .25s). to get any decent range out of an 8mm version you need the hop, otherwise you'll be better off flickin boogers.

BTW, congrats on the mod, weird place to put it though, but it cant be helped. what bbs do you use and hows it working for you?

The owner (not mine, did the hop job by request) complained that the bbs just dropped to the ground after a few feet and the China M500 doesn't exactly have friendly fps for CQB. On .20g, they go for about 10m then drop. With the hop on, they fly tight well up to 20m then start dispersing but still level. As for the placement of the hop itself, even the 8mm version has it there and the 6mm one conveniently has the same outer barrel permitting enough space for a makeshift one, plus there are other Marushin designs where the hop isn't placed right at the start like the Mateba.

Built one last week. Was wondering why the 6mm didn't have a hop-up unit while the 8mm did. I just sort of copied the 8mm hop for the 6mm.

The whole thing is about 20mm long and 22.5mm wide. It consists of two halves (I carved mine out of plastic with a dremel) which are screwed together sandwiching the inner barrel and a square piece of rubber (I used a piece of an old tire interior about 2mm thick). Also, quite obviously you'll need to drill out a hole on the top part of the inner barrel.

The adjusting screw is just a regular screw with the head lopped off and a channel cut along the top to fit a screw driver, make sure to round the other end so it won't tear up the hop rubber. The entire hop unit is located immediately forward of the large chunk of aluminum that holds the inner barrel into the receiver.

*snip*

Best instructions yet! ^^

Where do you get the plastic to do these kinds of things? I can't think of a readily avaliable source of plastic that big. Also, how do you go about deburring the hopup cut out if you're going to be drilling/cutting that far down the barrel? Also, is a circle cut (just a hole), better than an AEG style cutout? What was the size of the bit you used to drill the hopup hole?

the reason why the 6mm doesn't have it is cause the 6mm doesn't need it...

Not sure how you came to that conclusion Horse' :huh:

Any Airsoft gun needs hop up if you want more than approx 15m useful range :P

It doesn't matter what BBs you use, they'll fall to earth as quickly as they would if you just dropped them from your hand at the same height as the gun they're being fired from, just like real bullets do.

I guess if you use it exclusively for CQB at ranges of <10m it wouldn't matter but I think the majority of players like to be able to use their shotties at any site.

A friend of mine (the one I did the mod for, see above) uses his in woodland as a 'sniper-shottie', it has the same range and accuracy now as any AEG I've seen.

Where do you get the plastic to do these kinds of things? I can't think of a readily avaliable source of plastic that big. Also, how do you go about deburring the hopup cut out if you're going to be drilling/cutting that far down the barrel? Also, is a circle cut (just a hole), better than an AEG style cutout? What was the size of the bit you used to drill the hopup hole?

PVC, flattened then layered/laminated which means half of the hop up block is actually made of approximately 4pcs 22.5mm x 20mm x 2.5mm (thick) pieces of plastic glued together. The hop up cut I made was first carefully drilled out to make a hole (maybe 4mm dia) but I wound up making it larger with a cutting disc and oval shaped like the conventional hop up rectangular hole from making too many mistakes. Though a plain hole should work just fine as thats what Marushin uses. Sanded the cut surface first then deburred with a cutter blade.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion Horse' :huh:

Any Airsoft gun needs hop up if you want more than approx 15m useful range :P

It doesn't matter what BBs you use, they'll fall to earth as quickly as they would if you just dropped them from your hand at the same height as the gun they're being fired from, just like real bullets do.

I guess if you use it exclusively for CQB at ranges of <10m it wouldn't matter but I think the majority of players like to be able to use their shotties at any site.

A friend of mine (the one I did the mod for, see above) uses his in woodland as a 'sniper-shottie', it has the same range and accuracy now as any AEG I've seen.

i came to that conclusion from personal experience my friend. .25s just fly out of that thing like nothing i've ever seen. i hit a shed literally 200 feet away with a pot shot across my yard, and mind you, it wasn't arched.

i honestly cant understand hos the gun preforms as well as it does without the hop (with .25s). maybe your friend, renegadecow, was using 134a gas. green gas in the gun is just enough to get its performance right.

Archived