Magpul PTS MOE Handguards

Well as their seems to be a bit of intrest in these I though I'd knock up a small review.

I first saw these on a picture in the AR Picture thread and contacted the user who posted it. Through him I got in touch with Full Gear Up and ordered two, one FDE and one Black. The price including delivery to the UK was £70 (£30 each and £10 for P&P).

About a week later a small package containg these neat Magpul Branded boxes arrived;

BeijingMilitaryMuseum045.jpg

Upon opening I was greated by two nicely molded fiber MOE forends.

BeijingMilitaryMuseum046.jpg

The material used is a very nice feeling solid fiber. It feels good enough for firearms use, weather it is the same as the Magpul USA made MOE's I don't know. It comes in two parts like ordinary M4 forends, though in this case the split is not down the center but in the botom part of the grip. The upper section is of a smooth finish while the lower has a series or ridges on it to aid grip in adverse conditions. The front end also has a small finger guard to stop wet hands sliding forward, especially usefull with short barreled weapons where the hand could stray over the muzzle. The front right bears the Magpul Logo and PTS Molded in.

BeijingMilitaryMuseum041.jpg

The left side shows MOE.

BeijingMilitaryMuseum042.jpg

As you can see the front end extends part way along the frontsight, so if you have a 4 way railed gas block this may cause some problems for anything mounted at 3 or 6 o'clock. The top and the bottom however should be ok as they are not extended.

The lower section pulls away easily and shows more trades inside the upper.

BeijingMilitaryMuseum044.jpg

I fitted both of these front ends to my CA M15A2 Carbine as it was the only AR I had available at the time. To fit it is simply a matter of pulling the delta ring back and inserting the upper then the lower, just like the original handguards. A 9.6v 1100Ah Mini fits easily inside the handguard. I think one of those flats three part Lipo's would probaly fit easily in here aswell, but I cannot confirm this.

BeijingMilitaryMuseum043.jpg

I did not order any of the rails for this as I wanted a nice clean looking gun, but they are available and I presume they bolt on in the 0, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.

So to sum up this is a good solid simple forend for those wanting something lighter than an metal rail system, but still capable of adding rails if needed.

Looks like the only diffrence between the RS and this is the logos and the metal shield inside? Was there any screws or mounting stuff for adding rails?

Oh, and can you throw in a full picture of the gun with the forend installed?

Edited by Frakk2k

Picture of full gun. This is temporary eventually this wil get my HuricanE HK M4 Body with HK Gas Block and Sights.

BeijingMilitaryMuseum039.jpg

It does not come with any mounting hardware as it doesn't need any. Bolts for the rails will no doubt come with the rails. I am in the process of getting some of the rails, so watch this space.

Nice review,

Can you tell me if there's much space at the sides of the upper handguard as I'm wondering if a nunchuch battery pack would fit.

This is just my opinion, but I think it would be more aesthetically pleasing if the grips somehow encapsulated the delta ring.

If they did that how would you pull back the delta ring to fit the grip?