Helmet Pictures

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally have some pictures of my lid, its about 80% done. My Surefire Helmet light and MS2000 Strobe came in today but I have no acceptable way of mounting either. Without further ado here is my budget Ops-Core style Protec.

Nice lid!

2 questions for you, where did you get the velcro? And with what glue did you attach it?

Edited by goonz

img0678n.jpg

img0679q.jpg

SDS 2001

Ops-Core H-harness

Ops-Core Rails

Ops-Core VAS Shroud

Team Wendy Pads

ContourHD Helmet Cam

S&S V-Lite

MPLS was ordered over a month ago...still hasnt arrived but that will be added.

Norotos AKA2 mount is pending as well.

Plan on painting it all when its complete..

Binary, very jealous of the 2001, I just can't swing the $400 for a new one and have yet to find one used.

Here's a sneak at my CVC conversion so far

Started with this

DSC01245.jpg

and now I've got this

DSC01257.jpg

DH132a size small

Skydex PAGST conversion kit

MCH-ARC rail (clones as I wasn't sure they'd fit)

I'm waiting on some color correct velcro and a VAS clone (again wasn't sure about fit). I also hate the paint I thought it would come out flat, but it is slightly glossy, I've got to track down some Krylon camo or I'm going to get a friend to dura coat it.

So far it's cost me....$145

Brian, brilliant info there thank you very much. The "home brew"/Ghetto approach looks really good from the casual observer, I almost thought you had a proper mount of some description.

Funnily enough I was on the Contour forum today, looking at a thread specifically about mounting options for military helmets HERE.

A guy there who works for Contour, basically admitted that they are workin with OPS-Core on a mount, due out very soon.

After getting some velcro and some adjustments to the straps I can say I done with my replica fast ballistic helmet.

If you want to build one you'll need the following:

1.IBH, I think mine was a king arms but not sure. The IBH has extra material around the ears so all you need to do is place the arc rails on the side and trace the amount of material that you need to cut off. MICH's work okay but the bulge from head to ears starts too soon, so you'll wind up with rail with no helmet material underneath. The IBH's run about $50

2.MICH 2001 with NVG mount and side rail. I wound up buying a complete helmet because I could only find a replica VAS shroud. The only place I could find just ops core style 2010 side rails with helmet mounts was from, well ops core. The MICH 2001 with everthing I needed was $80. The sides rails alone from ops core retail $70.

3.Ops Core X-nape. Since I already had this for my IBH I used this instead of the ACH occ-dial kit which retails for $130. The x-nape retails for $56.

4.2" width tan velcro with adhesive. The 2001 came with velcro but it wasn't enough to get the look I was going for. Cost was about $5.

All in all if you had to buy all the materials it comes in about $190. That's excluding the work you have to put in to shape the helmet. It made sense for me since I already had an IBH and x nape. Plus I was going for the FAST Ballistic look not base jump or bump versions. After everything I realized that the $240 for the base jump is a pretty good deal. Hope that helps everyone. Thanks for any comments, God bless.

68a24cfa.jpg

83342694.jpg

8d2f310b.jpg

Edited by Cephas

cephas - What did your helmet start as? A MICH?

If you want to build one you'll need the following:

1.IBH,I think mine was a king arms but not sure. The IBH has extra material around the ears so all you need to do is place the arc rails on the side and trace the amount of material that you need to cut off. MICH's work okay but the bulge from head to ears starts too soon, so you'll wind up with rail with no helmet material underneath. The IBH's run about $50

Edited by frogfish

It works, but it's just that, another alternative. I would say the IBH is actually the best option as the rails don't lie flat on the CVC shell because of a very slight flaire right over the ears, and the CVC cut is much higher and you end up with no helmet under the rails.

Here are hopefully some better shots to show that, it's still a WIP so hopefully as the rest of my stuff comes in it will look much more complete... The bungie on the front is to make into NVG retention hooks when I finally make it to wal-mart to get the hooks, and the paracord tube in the back is to help secure a counterweight bag when it gets here.

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

DSC01278.jpg

you can see through the rails here...

DSC01279.jpg

CEPHAS if I manage to get my hands on a real IBH shell I may need to send it your way for some converting, you did a wonderful job.

Edited by frogfish