Helmet Pictures

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this mount is a "Peltor Ear defenders Helmet Attatch" - from ebay [cheap option]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peltor-Ear...item45fef736f5

- and off course you need some DIY - check this movie [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U8j0pKJG1A[media]

Are those things compatible with the Z Sordin ?

I plan to to same with my IBH.

Very nice! I'm seeing more and more of those Contours on helmets... possibly because of that Amazon sale? (that's where I got mine)

Gopros aren't very helmet friendly. I had one and got rid of it because of that. No matter where you put it...it turns into a giant reflective brick to weight the helmet down. That, and the special adapters pretty much make that area of the helmet useless for anything else(unless you get a cover for a NVG like I've seen here).

Go pro is more expensive and comes with a case...that's pretty much it.

I'm now on my second Contour camera (currently the GPS), and I also own a GoPro Hero HD2.

The Contour-series is a far superior helmet camera, I really can find no way in which the GoPro is a better alternative for this purpose.

On more general terms, the GoPro may be a superior "action cam", as mounting options are somewhat slimmer for the Contour series.

I own both. I find the GoPro to be a much better camera in terms of both picture quality and durability.

However, the only way I wear it these days is in the NVG mount (which is about the most "helmet friendly" thing you could imagine, so I don't understand that comment at all). For times when that's not an option (when I'm not wearing the helmet, or when I might need the mount for, I dunno, NVGs), the versatility and low profile of the Contour is nice.

That 2002 looks astonishingly like mine in terms of layout, paintjob, velcro placement.

I own both. I find the GoPro to be a much better camera in terms of both picture quality and durability.

However, the only way I wear it these days is in the NVG mount (which is about the most "helmet friendly" thing you could imagine, so I don't understand that comment at all). For times when that's not an option (when I'm not wearing the helmet, or when I might need the mount for, I dunno, NVGs), the versatility and low profile of the Contour is nice.

That 2002 looks astonishingly like mine in terms of layout, paintjob, velcro placement.

It is. However, if you don't have NVGs it becomes a problem. I have a PASGT/Fleck so I couldn't wear it or put it on my gun. The strap wouldn't hold onto the cover and it would cause the helmet to wobble a bit. Another person that I play with tried using the side mount, but got horrible angles/stuck out way to far to be usefull for shooting around corners. It's a great camera, but Contours are easier to use with a variety of gear(imo).

Edited by Uchiha_Itachi

sigma3:

I also own the NVG attachment for it and even a "Front helmet mount". It's still as bulky as a *beep*, not to mention shiny as hell.

Also, I consider the joints to be a weak link upon impact.

Given the choice, I can't see myself putting the GoPro on a tacticool helmet over the Contour unless I'm going under water, and even then I would've preferred a waterproof case for the Contour - I just can't be arsed to buy one.

I'm gonna keep the GoPro Vehicle- and MOLLE-mounted, as that's what I find it to be best suited for.

Edited by Pkekyo-Nor

Fair enough. If you're more concerned about looking the part, the Contour is a better choice, and probably what I will run on the ARC rails on my new helmet. I still think the GoPro is a better camera, however.

But, here's a pro tip: paint the GoPro housing. No more shiny, no more problem.

As for the joint being weak, it's possible, but I run my gear harder than anyone I know and haven't had a problem yet. Not to say it won't happen, but I'm not worried.

sigma3: I've gotten out of airsoft, so looking the part isn't a concern. Reflections, bulk and plastic joints breaking in sub-zero temperatures is.

I'll admit the GoPro performs better, and particularily in low light situations - but as an overall package I just like the Contour better.

Doesn't stop me from using the GoPro at all though, I just put it anywhere but my helmet ;)