Helmet Pictures

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. A penthouse flat. In the Docklands lol.

Indeed, I rent a 6 bed terrace with a sea view (not a wreck either!) for just under a grand a month... Wonder if I could pick up a PVS18 for that? No likely!

I'm still totally blown away by the dedication (financial and otherwise, getting those out of the US must have been an ordeal in paperwork) of hardcore mil sim/geardo types. Takes the game to that whole extra level, just wish I earned a bit more money!

Rent a smaller house, save some money, and you'll have them.

I saved, sold of my previous set of NV, combined the two and Bought this, I did the same to get my old set, and the very first set I just saved up for, not that difficult if your patient enough, taken 2 years to do it, starting off with an entry level gen3 ENVIS monocular.

Thanks for the comments though, I'm really pleased with, and like I said, lucky to have it.

Edited by Jimmypie

Only worth having if your going to get to use them, I very rarely play a walk on, and probably only 3-4 weekenders a year, so those 3-4 weekends , my NV gets as much use as it can, the rest of the year is spent working, saving, and collecting bits to push my kit onwards.

Anyway, do you have even have a helmet to start off the build? :P

Indeed, I rent a 6 bed terrace with a sea view (not a wreck either!) for just under a grand a month... Wonder if I could pick up a PVS18 for that? No likely!

I'm still totally blown away by the dedication (financial and otherwise, getting those out of the US must have been an ordeal in paperwork) of hardcore mil sim/geardo types. Takes the game to that whole extra level, just wish I earned a bit more money!

A lot of them come from Afghan, US soldiers can get hold of replacement kit pretty easy (at least in comparison to the UK, "Sorry sir, lost my NOD...again") and readily trade kit for unit insignia, flags etc from other militaries.

Only worth having if your going to get to use them, I very rarely play a walk on, and probably only 3-4 weekenders a year, so those 3-4 weekends , my NV gets as much use as it can

...it also makes getting up in the middle of the night to take a a whole lot more interesting, doesn't it? :P

Errr... No.

If you say so but every PVS I've encountered for sale and on the field (admittedly not all that many) has been brought back by a Brit squaddie who then goes on to making a killing from it because they've traded it for maybe a couple of hundred quids worth of stuff. Unless of course they're lying but why bother?

They mean that it's not really easier for members of the US military to sell stuff that's not theirs.  It's actually difficult and a good way to get yourself in a whole mess of *suitcase*.

Plus, of all my friends in the military that have lost items, none of them have ever said it was a pleasant experience having to explain it to their CO.

Edited by CameronZombie

A lot of them come from Afghan, US soldiers can get hold of replacement kit pretty easy (at least in comparison to the UK, "Sorry sir, lost my NOD...again") and readily trade kit for unit insignia, flags etc from other militaries.

so going from "A lot of them"

If you say so but every PVS I've encountered for sale and on the field (admittedly not all that many) has been brought back by a Brit squaddie who then goes on to making a killing from it because they've traded it for maybe a couple of hundred quids worth of stuff. Unless of course they're lying but why bother?

to the fact that youve "admittedly" not seen that many yourself..

doesnt really say much at all about the UK NVG market, but it does say how little you know.

lets get this back on track anyway, hears me wearing my lid at a recent game 

20130803_113838_zps757abe22.jpg

Edited by Jimmypie

How many's many though? They're quite rare, given they're ITAR restricted and high end equipment. I've not seen "many", because of how unusual they are, especially in civilian hands.

Its called data, all my experiences show they're acquired from squaddies trading, which helps me develop the hypothesis that its a common method. It would look like my data is not representative however, which is always a possibility, my bad. When the lads I know suggest its fairly easy I guess it confounds matters.

I'm sorry I don't keep up with all the legal and above board importations of NOD from the US, I must've forgotten to request the reports. Do YOU have them handy for me to look over and educate myself?

I should have put "in my experience" but I didn't, oh well.

There's hundreds of sets in the uk, maybe into the thousands , probably saw maybe 40 sets being used at my last weekender, all shapes sizes and flavours.

It was just a bit of a sweeping statement to say that all units are stolen by American troops and traded for haribo.

LOL.

Best not post my lid then eh? Or my collection :/

Edited by Eugene_Stoner

And where did "A lot" become "all"? Two can play that game. :P

I didn't appreciate the scope of the market. But then the question remains how does one obtain a set from what I gather "legitimately" (and I'm genuinely curious here in case I ever end up with enough money for a set).

I apologise for posting false information.

Just so Tw1tch is tracking - 'stolen' NVGs are certainly possible if built from spare parts. That being said, a set of NODs that 'is missing' will often cause operations to shut down and people to go into panic mode. Losing NODs or a radio downrange is a great way to end your career, so I'd say your sources are horribly misinformed or lying.

Quick question guys; I want to pick up a replica Ops-Core lid (can't afford a real one just yet) but I have a small head, and I've heard that they run on the med-large to large size on the current batch of replicas.  

Would anyone know which of the available replicas out there is the smallest?

Only worth having if your going to get to use them, I very rarely play a walk on, and probably only 3-4 weekenders a year, so those 3-4 weekends , my NV gets as much use as it can, the rest of the year is spent working, saving, and collecting bits to push my kit onwards.

Anyway, do you have even have a helmet to start off the build? :P

So I was slow getting back to this one... yes I do, not nearly as gucci as most of the lids in this thread but it's getting there as a prop/dress up part.  Arc rails need krylon/sandpaper to dull the plastic a bit and the whole thing needs to get much dirtier but it's coming along.  Normally wear it (when I do, too damn hot at the moment) with a pair of sordins underneath. 

oxi5.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm gonna start using one of these that I picked up at a surplus stall, with a pair of Sordins underneath:

$T2eC16ZHJGwE9n)yUZE1BQTgVTD6lQ~~60_35.J

Helmets are always a compromise between weight and protection, and this weighs next to nothing while providing enough protection for what I need it for.

Looks better on me too as it doesn't sit as high. (that pic is off the internet as I'm at work)

Just wondering how to tart it up a bit. Any suggestions?

Also, anyone know what it actually is, in real world terms?