Helmet Pictures

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have no qualms using it IF the lens was capable of stopping BBs, and to that end I bought a spare for destructive testing.   

I was going to test it all the way up to 3J, but a .25g BB at 1.2 joules went through like butter, leaving a nice round hole.  Two more rounds shattered the the Emerson visor into several pieces:  

I can't say I was shocked, but plenty of cheap polycarb eyepro is made in China, there're really no excuse for marketing something this dangerous to airsofters.  I guess I'll be looking at motorcycle helmet visors now.  

Damn, that's a shame - I've just ordered one because they look like they'll solve my mask/eyepro fitment issues.  Perhaps coating the lens in some kind of film would stop it from shattering?

Any of yall have dual purpose helmet for airsoft and mountain biking (or other sports)?

I've been looking at the following: Giro Feature and the Bell Super. They dont have any rail mounts obviously, but i believe both have a mount location for a gopro. 

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/apparel-protection/809584d1371765287t-bell-super-vs-giro-feature-20130620_152157.jpg

http://dangsr.com/images/bicycle/giro2.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/7/6/5/2/5/webimg/672355290_o.jpg

http://stwww.bikemag.com/files/2011/09/Giro_Feature.jpg

Any of yall have dual purpose helmet for airsoft and mountain biking (or other sports)?

That would be me. My buddies and me using our FAST helmets for skiing and climbing too. I also got a Protec half cut that`s the more low profile version that i use here and then...

Got a Contour +2 on the Ops Core, way ahead of the GoPro...

Neither of those are certified for skiing, not sure if you were aware of that.

I don't believe the Protec military models have any kind of certification. The Ops Core sport helmet, from what I can find, is "certified to CE EN 1385 (international standard for headgear for white water sports) and ASTM F1492 (skateboard helmet standards for multiple impacts)". That is from a Military Morons article, not from OpsCore them self. 

I think im going to try out that Giro Feature I linked, unless someone else has some info on something else out there. 

Well, i'm pretty sure they offer just as much protection as the cheap china made ski helmets do. But i'm not sure if i would trust them for stuff like downhill, mountainbiking, ect.

But, this is personal preferance, everyone should use what he thinks it suits his needs.

Will post some updated pictures when the shipping company hurries up and delivers my l4g24...

Where do you get these? Would like to order one. 

I got them from Combat Gearing IIRC, but please don't use one to protect yourself against anything more substantial than wind. 

Airsoft GI just listed the Emerson helmets and visors for sale as Lancer Tactical rebrands, touting them as BB resistant up to 400 FPS, which I fear will not end well.  

Are you legit thinking about bodging some eyepro?

No, I'm not 'legit thinking about bodging some eyepro', because I can always go back to my shooting glasses.

I'm trying to think of a solution to a problem, and trying to bounce ideas off people who are probably more knowledgeable on the subject of impact resistance than me.

I would've thought that someone who 'will do science to it' would get that.

Edited by Rogue845

Applying a film over a surface that curves in more than one axis is going to be difficult without creasing.

It is also going to compromise optical clarity.

Since it shattered when shot, it is likely to shatter with a pointed edge which would possibly puncture the film on the inner edge making the tensile strength of the film compromised which could be a massive issue if there several incoming rounds still in the air coming your way.

Laminating it with a film could hold the broken shards in place, but it would depend on the materials and situation, testing it to a suitable level would cost more than buying something that is already tested and rated to a level far in excess of what you need.

All in all, not worth bothering IMHO.

The problem you have, is they're not up to the job of protecting eyes. You're trying to make them up to it. Ergo, you're thinking of bodging it. Lets not try and dress it up as anything else, eh?

Applying a film over a surface that curves in more than one axis is going to be difficult without creasing.

It is also going to compromise optical clarity.

Since it shattered when shot, it is likely to shatter with a pointed edge which would possibly puncture the film on the inner edge making the tensile strength of the film compromised which could be a massive issue if there several incoming rounds still in the air coming your way.

Laminating it with a film could hold the broken shards in place, but it would depend on the materials and situation, testing it to a suitable level would cost more than buying something that is already tested and rated to a level far in excess of what you need.

All in all, not worth bothering IMHO.

The problem you have, is they're not up to the job of protecting eyes. You're trying to make them up to it. Ergo, you're thinking of bodging it. Lets not try and dress it up as anything else, eh?

You were doing well with the polite, technical answer, which I understand and accept.  Thank you.

I was approaching it simply as an intellectual exercise - a problem to be solved.  It's not a problem I have as I have other ways of protecting my eyes, so if the visor is not up to it it's no drama

Hold off on the patronizing scorn please.

On the Helmet standard deal, the F1492 Rating is equal on most counts to the F2040(Skiing) rating, it has a lower minimum Impact force test against a flat surface, 1m drop with a calibrated weight inside for F1492 vs a 2m drop with a calibrated weight inside for the F2040, the weight is the same for both as is the required force dissipation, the F1492 has to be certified to at least 2 impacts (as is generally more common in street skating) where as the F2040 only has to with stand a single impact.

• 2 weeks later...

Not picture, hence question:

Some of the velcros on RS (and replica) helmets are guled around to fix them more...

Like this (just an example, not my one!!!):

th_velcro_zps1210cecd.jpg

What type of gule do they (and you) use??? Hard epoxy? Or soft silicon gule? Else? Trasparent or owerpainted?