Helmet Pictures

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with this, but with the mich replicas they have a plastic or vinyl (not sure what it is) edging around it.

Now i sprayed mine with krylon but the edges will not dry at all and the paint is just coming off all sticky.

Any one have any ideas what i can base coat this with that will dry, so i can respray it again ?

Mate I had the same problem with my MICH, the base coat wouldn't set and days later it left a nice tan paint patch on my shelf where I had put it.

I then sprayed it with a second coat in Krylon and that worked fine, no stickiness and it dried really quickly.

I don't know if you've used Krylon or a different brand of spray.

Hope this helps

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with this, but with the mich replicas they have a plastic or vinyl (not sure what it is) edging around it.

Now i sprayed mine with krylon but the edges will not dry at all and the paint is just coming off all sticky.

Any one have any ideas what i can base coat this with that will dry, so i can respray it again ?

From my experience, it'll dry, but seems to stay sticky/somewhat easily removeable for quite sometime afterwards.

hmm kk ill give it some more time then i gess. I did use a black krylon as a base for it but its been about a week or two now but it is still tacky and will rub off.

Just need to find something that would dry on that stuff just as a base coat.

What do you think that bit of material is, is it just a rubber or vinyl ?

hmm kk

ill have a look for something rubber related in a can then.

And here are some helm pics then too :D

This thing was bright tan to start with, so i sprayed it black first then flicked and sponged on liquid masking tape. Then did several sprays of dark earth, moving up to tans. After i then rubbed off the masking liquid leaving random black bits.

IMG_0167-6.jpg

IMG_0166-5.jpg

IMG_0168-7.jpg

IMG_2274-5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the helmet, and Comtac Replicas this morning.

100_0392.jpg

100_0395.jpg

I don't think my helmet is considered to be part of the "Big Boys Cool Club" yet to be posted in the Spec ops helmet thread. :D

I have the big ESS goggles because I wear prescription glasses. The glasses I'm wearing currently are just biking glasses, they're not made for airsoft. I assure you, I don't use them.

Edited by mrcheetos

I doubt it would. Protecs are supposed to hug your head, and the bowmans go well above the rim of the protec.

You could cut out a large section of the helmet's hard foam that's beneath the hard shell. On page 7, I believe arafat did just that. PM him and ask.

Also, if anyone was wondering, I'm aware the straps on my helmet are horribly crooked. The straps are the stock ones that came with it. They're terrible.

Edited by mrcheetos
I doubt it would. Protecs are supposed to hug your head, and the bowmans go well above the rim of the protec.

You could cut out a large section of the helmet's hard foam that's beneath the hard shell. On page 7, I believe arafat did just that. PM him and ask.

Also, if anyone was wondering, I'm aware the straps on my helmet are horribly crooked. The straps are the stock ones that came with it. They're terrible.

I *think* a bowman would fit decently well under a Protec.

How do you like your EBB ComTacs?

You have to cut out a bit of the foam around the left ear in order for it to fit properly. Otherwise it just sits cockeyed and it's very uncomfortable, with both helmet and headset digging into you. It's only a bit of foam, it's not like you're tearing it all out.

Edited by Kraut

Some awesome lids on here, but it's way over my head (no pun intended!). I've got a real Protec and fake IBH but neither of them really suit my needs and especially my head. The Protec is a much closer fit to me though. Could anyone PLEASE suggest a helmet that is suited to smaller head and can support an NVG attached?

Priorities are comfort, sturdiness with the NVG mounted, and weight (in that order). Budget is about $300 for the whole lid (NVG mount included) but I've got no clue if that's a lot or a little for a good helmet.