Russian Gear Discussion

KilloMan

I've just acquired a real Gorka 1 and I have a repro Tarzan M22 on the way (quite surprised to see Gorka 1s are still in use), I have an AKMS also. I have a couple of questions, what impressions would those be good for and what else would I need? Also, will try and get some pics done once more stuff has arrived.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure the original ANA Gorkas were last used in the first Chechen war which was normally paired with Afghan kit. M22s started appearing in the second mostly by the VDV but they mostly wore patterned BDUs. Maybe what you saw in modern use are SPOSN Gorkas which, after many washings can appear as a single drab color close to ANAs.

For 'modern' stuff as per my post above that is it.

Afghanistan era is a bit more tricky... chicom sounds good although bleaching seems OTT. Give it a machine wash, whilst wet stuff two magazines in each pouch and leave it to dry in the sun. I did that and it stretched it out and lost some green. Its a misconception that all chicoms at that time/place were khaki anyway.

Avoiding helmets, armour etc;

Hat: http://m.ebay.com/itm/331134024675?_mwBanner=1

AKMS were usually issued with a pbs-1

a ('soviet officer's') belt useful to put some canteens on (worst canteen pouch ever btw) but you could probably get them on the chicom too

So I've actually got an old Y harness and belt already. I also have a 4 cell chicom (type 81?) but as far as I know they never really turned up in Afghanistan and or Chechneya. I have seen some pics of Russians in older Gorka with something that looks like a type 81 with metal poppers rather than the wood toggles.

Many thanks!

That might be Lifchiks, the Russian copy of the chicom. Chicoms were used and favored early on so they started to make their own eventually. In this pic I believe thy have both chicoms and Lifchiks.

ac98e4b69f76.jpg

They may have had green ones, but you'll often find od/tan/khaki ones in older photos. Could also be from the film and/or the photo print going off. But you'll still see the greener ones on newer photos.

edit: also guy on right most with AKMS and how to wrap a tourniquet and bandage on the stock.

For 'modern' stuff as per my post above that is it.

Afghanistan era is a bit more tricky... chicom sounds good although bleaching seems OTT. Give it a machine wash, whilst wet stuff two magazines in each pouch and leave it to dry in the sun. I did that and it stretched it out and lost some green. Its a misconception that all chicoms at that time/place were khaki anyway.

Avoiding helmets, armour etc;

Hat: http://m.ebay.com/itm/331134024675?_mwBanner=1

AKMS were usually issued with a pbs-1

a ('soviet officer's') belt useful to put some canteens on (worst canteen pouch ever btw) but you could probably get them on the chicom too

Or this hat

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsoviet+panama+hat&_nkw=soviet+panama+hat&_sacat=0

• 2 months later...

Better picture of my kit.

RoadToRostov_10498150_785715628171027_71

GearCraft LZSH-2DTM

Tactic-9 "Anglia" suit in Jeger/Jagiel pattern

IRT Defender 2 Emerald MOLLE

E&L AK74M with tons of Zenitco thingies (mostly TWI)
Camelbak Pakteen
TT Mk2 belt and various pouches (which you mostly can't see)
Hatch gloves

Still a lot of replica stuff but getting closer to legitimacy...

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a quick question on optics, I'm quite tempted by this due:

http://www.ebairsoft.com/mobile/ppkka-style-illuminated-scope-p-8525.html

Honestly I like the look and it would suit my AK 103 but I know that pretty much all the other clone russian optics have been fairly dire. Does anyone have experience of this? I'm not expecting wonders at that price but if anyone could give some feedback on the build quality and the quality of the optics that would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice kit, which radio is that?

-Piano

VX600U in the partisan photo, VX929U in the multicam photo.

IMO, both good radios.  For airsoft I would strongly recommend a VX900 (U for UHG or V for VHF if that's your flavor) for the 2005-2010 period and the VX929 or 924 for the 2010+ period.

For the older Nord Ost, Beslan, etc stuff there isn't really a good supported radio out there.  

Bang for you buck...can't go wrong with a VX900.  It has an LCD screen on the top of the radio along with a channel and volume control knob, so it's super easy to adjust on the belt or in a pouch.  Plus, the lapel mic is super cheap and plenty supported by ref pics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived