Quality of airsoft in comparison to real steel

skyclark

I know that most Airsoft weapons are made of pot metal and what are "technically" inferior materials to their real steel counterparts, but I find that the over all finish is better.

Obviously this does not always hold true to gus like cheepsofts, but when it comes to something like a VFC or PTW they almost look to good.

Elias

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see...

My real Sig 556: 7071 Aluminum, forged steel barrel, custom made Titanium gas block and pistol tube. ~ You don't wanna know how much... upwards of 3k with mods and optics.

My real Saiga 12: stamped steel receiver, chrome lined barrel. ~1200$ with all the mods I've done to it.

My real Mp5k: glass fiber lower and 6061 Al upper. ~2500$

just to name a few...

I dont think there's any airsoft gun that comes close, at least not to the 556.

Not everything is pot metal. Pot metal, is a zinc alloy has a majority component of zinc, and small amounts of aluminium. Whereas a lot of airsoft replicas are made from aluminum alloys that yes do contain zinc but is only as a minority component.

If you say sand off the paint off a metallic slide or a receiver and observe, IF it goes dull grey and/or white, then its a zinc alloy, while IF it stays shiny, and if your sweaty fingers managed to imprint a dark sweat/finger print onto the metal then its an aluminium alloy.

You can usually tell if its an aluminium alloy or zinc by weight. Zinc alloys are heavier than aluminium alloys and you can generally tell as its very light.

Mind you I prefer my guns to be made of steel but with the new space aged polymers on say the XM8 and MASADA it doesn't really matter anymore.

Aside from the Realsword guns, most airsoft guns still feel like toys.

Archived