• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a Gun but it's still home made and i'm proud of it. :D

nvg-th.jpg

klick for bigger size

Self made night vision goggles: A pair of hi-res video goggles and a CCD Camera w/ infrared LEDs.

And it works perfect! I would say the image quality is somewhere at gen2+ and not green but black/white.

I'll attach a pair of infrared LED clusters to gain more viewing range. I also have to make it battery-powered, at the moment it works on a 12V PSU.

• 2 weeks later...

Still need to paint it up and finish up the solution for the working bolt. But its externals are 99% done. I need to finish the little nub protruding from the front sight.

I did things a little differently than 2ndBat (ww2airsoft association). I basically followed the Ontario directions. I used a synthetic stock kit for the front and rear handguards. I had gotten a great deal on the entire set a while back and was hoping the synthetic stock would work for a Garand stock conversion. Unfortunaetly it didnt.

I used a Plastic Welding method I learned from Epyon on airsoftretreat. Its really simple, a soldering iron heated u will weld the plastic together. I worked the area welded over and over till I was sure I had asolid joint all the way thru. If I needed something filled, I used slivers from the front portion that was cut off the stock. This is a lot stronger than bondo or filler. Im tempted to actually try to weld the traditional Garand hump on the stock itself.

The thing that I think makes my Conversion a little bit special is the usage of the front of the M14 stock. I pried off the metal band and chopped the stock flush as you would with normal conversions. Instead of mounting the handguard band on the flushness I went back to the piece of stock I had discarded. The U-shaped protusions underneath the metal band fit perfectly into the Garand sling swivle piece. So I chopped off the U-shaped joint and Plastic welded it to my already cut down Stock. This allows everythign to mount very cleanly and solidly, especially in combination with the gas cyclinders set screw.. I have no reservations suing the front sling swivle.

Garand

burkegarandzb3.jpg

Front end with #6-32 set screw holding it all together. Tap was cheap at Home depot

bgscrewab7.jpg

Butt with Garand plate. Rear of stock was plastic welded.

bgbuttrr4.jpg

Side dots plastic welded and filled

bgsidelq6.jpg

Entire front end

bgfrontfz7.jpg

Closeup of grips together

bggripsug3.jpg

Plastic welded stock.

bgstocksg5.jpg

Grips and stock showing how they go together

bgtogethercl9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
everything on this page is win.

I agree. this thread makes me want to build something custom out of plastic card, abs, pvc, etc. Maybe I should try making a G36, SCAR, or Magpul Bushmaster Masada out of plastic?

Hey Burke, what would make that epic garand even better is if you can find some of that laminate they put over particle board furniture to make it look like stained wood.

edit: apparently they also come in walnut:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-WALNUT-Wood-...0QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by DesertFoxRomel