TAB/TAC Pack (Coyote Brown)

Build Material

The TAB is built using quality materials such as YKK zippers, 1000D Cordura in your choice of colour, and ITW Nexus buckles.

Comparison: TAD vs TAB

The TAB (I will call it this throughout the rest of the review) is a very faithful recreation of the TAD Gear F.A.S.T Pack - EDC (Every Day Carry). Comparing the photos of the TAD pack the only noticeable differences are the use of different buckles, the material used to cover the back (the TAD uses what appears to be a perforated cloth while the TAB uses a mesh netting), the zippers used and the zipper pulls (the TAD strings on zippers have plastic pulls on the end of them, while TAB uses cord with a knot on the end). A couple of these features seem to be an improvement to in my eyes.

I was mildly apprehensive to the mesh used on the TAB’s back. To the touch it seems sort of rough, and this worried me when it came to chafing. I was pleasantly surprised when I loaded it up with text books and decided to go for a mild hike in it. The added friction from the netting helped keep it in place and actually remedied a problem I have when using other bags, which is my shirt hiking up as I move. Instead it kept things in place and felt very comfortable. The visible zippers on the TAD appear to be of a smaller size, and I prefer the beefy YKK ones used on the TAB (both use YKK zippers). The other improvement I found is the zipper pulls. I dislike the plastic ends TAD uses, I tend to have them disappear from anything I own with them on it. I usually end up doing exactly what Pantac has done with their TAB pack. To this date none of the TAB style zipper pulls have gone missing in action.

Features

Now I know what you’re saying in your head you’re saying “Bean, get to the cool part the drop down rifle holder”. I hear you on this because when I opened the package, I sprinted like a little child to his toy box to remove my VSR to strap it in and have a gander. I have to say this is a really interesting feature for the designated marksmen out there. It allows you to not have to sling your rifle and have it get caught in things while using your regular rifle to get into position. The straps hold the rifle tightly in position and no manner of jumping would make it come loose. The rifle pouch also brings me to one small but rather awesome feature the Velcro strap keeper on the straps. It allows you to adjust the strap and then roll up the excess and Velcro it sturdily in place. From the pictures of the TAD it would appear to have the same feature.

Moving to the internals of the TAB’s main pouch you will find an ample sized storage area. If you have a three day assault pack the TAB has a slightly smaller capacity. According to the TAD gear site, the storage capacity is 29.5L and the three day assault pack capacity is roughly 36L. Near the top of the bag, there is a large mesh storage area that is closed with a zipper. Near the back, there are two Velcro straps that can be used to hold the hanging pouches that you can buy separately from any place that carries Pantac gear. There is also a clip that you can hang keys and other odds and ends off of, as well as a hole to thread a hydration carrier straw through from the area in the next paragraph.

Behind the main pouch, there is a zipper pocket that has a pouch to slide a hydration bladder in. It closes with Velcro and is well stitched. There is also a hole in the back pouch that you can thread the hydration hose thorough into the main body. This area doesn’t have a huge storage capacity but could be used for carrying small things or paper.

The front of the bag has two zippered pouches, one on top and one on the bottom. The top pouch has a stitched in organizer for pens and other small items. You could also stick a fair amount of things in it. The bottom pouch is just a pouch and can store a little bit less than the upper one. The front also includes two rows of Molle webbing and an amply sized Velcro rectangle for a nametape or patches. Each side of the bag has a small zippered pouch near the bottom that can be used to store smaller items that you may need easy access to. Each side has six rows of Molle webbing on them, three of which are on the lower pocket. The underside of the bag has two drainage grommets and three rows of Molle. The rifle pouch that pops down has five rows of webbing. The side compression straps are dual purpose. They hold the rifle pouch up and can be used to compress the bag but can also be used to secure the rifle when it’s down. The straps all have Molle on them, and the waist belt is removable.

Conclusion

If you want a nice looking backpack that has the capability to strap your rifle to it, this is the bag for you. It’s constructed very well and has a lot of great features. You can organize your items in the TAB bag so that mission essential items are easy to grasp within seconds. There is tons of Molle space, so any additional pouches can be attached with ease. The stitching is also rock solid, which is a plus. I highly recommend this bag and it just might be just what I need to make me replace my three day assault pack.

Pictures

The front of the bag

1.jpg

The backside of the bag

2.jpg

The side of the bag

3.jpg

The top of the bag

4.jpg

A photo of the bottom of the bag

5.jpg

Rifle mounted using the drop down pouch

6.jpg

The drop down pouch with rifle mounted

7.jpg

The straps securing the upper portion of the rifle

8.jpg

A close up of the pack without the rifle holder

9.jpg

A close up of the back pouch showing hydration bladder pouch and straw routing hole. Also in the picture is where the straw comes out of the top of the bag.

10.jpg

A close u p of the side of the pouch showing the small side pocket and some Molle rows.

11.jpg

A close up of the bottom pouch on the front of the bag. Notice the quality stitching.

12.jpg

A close up of the top pocket. This is the one with the organizer stitched to the back. You can also see the large Velcro area for attaching patches or name tapes.

13.jpg

Inside the main pouch you have various methods to hold things including the optional organizer that you can order.

14.jpg

The mesh storage pouch inside the main one.

15.jpg

Cheers.

I did see that one, but discounted it as there appeared to be no-reference to that wee gun pouch - A selling tool missed if I ever didn't see one :)

Haha very true. If people could post what they like and dislike about my reviews it would be great. I am trying to evolve at this and write reviews that if I read would help me decide on buying something.

No problem. I come from a very small group of airsofters and we tend to live several hours apart so its hard to try on new kit. So I figure I will release reviews of everything I get. I will be doing one on the new pantac plate carrier hopefully tomorrow.