• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AK DMR?

Something a bit different: WE M14 (with Ra-Tech trigger group) inside a realsteel TROY S.A.S.S. (Semi Automatic Sniper System) chassis. Very nice high-end chassis, CNC aluminum, the M14 needs a f

Hopefully this isn’t heresy, here’s my latest DMR build.  KJ Works KC02, gutted and refitted with Rogueworx internals. Stuck in a Samson B-TM stock and given a custom turned tapered outer barrel.

Posted Images

I know what DMR stands for. But I cannot find anywhere on the Net that explains exactly what makes it a DMR. Is it the Long Barrell? Semi-Auto Only function? Long Range Optics? Or a Combo of all of that?

I have looked at this thread multiple times and I am very impressed at what I have been seeing. I want to build a DMR, but want to make sure I have the basic understanding of what makes a particular weapon a DMR...

I want to make this a DMR:

8d446eb7.jpg

Right now the inner barrel extends all the way to the Mock, I addewd that grip. Has a High Torque Motor and hi torque Matrix Gears. Does the barrell need to be longer? that NcStar scope is a 3-9X42 Illuminated reticle and red dot...

Edited by SHWEL
No offence, but whenever I see that gun I have no idea what to think. There is too much going on. The paint looks good though.

No offense taken.. Not sure what you mean by too much going on... Can you elaborate.. I am always looking for feedback to help improve the usefullness of it.

Would a pic without all the stencil plants around clear things up. or is it the attachments... Riser helps me use optics because I wear full face masks. PEQ has battery. Front end is what came on the gun and I do not have a replacement for it yet... Working on that.

I ment it just looks to jumbled...kinda like everything was just slapped on. What I would do:

-10 inch free-float rail (with no FSP it will look much sleeker)

-Different pistol grip (Tangodown or regular A2 would work)

-more realistic PEQ (2A or 15 would look good)

-Maybe a differnt stock if you want (like a solid stock or UBR) but the LE is fine

This might help:

In Real Steel:

A DMR is a large caliber rifle (7.62 or larger) that bridges the gap between assault rifles (such as M16) and sniper rifles. They shoot in semi-auto only, which means they can have precise long-range shots yet a higher ROF than a bolt-action sniper rifle.

In Airsoft:

Since all airsoft guns use the same "caliber," theoretically any gun can be a DMR. But most airsofters with DMRs use large guns such as M14, SR25, M16, etc. Generally, a DMR will have a long (500mm+) tight (6.03-6.01) barrel and shoot above 450fps on semi-auto only.

A bipod and magnifying scope would help.

I hope this is right :P

I think it's right with afew exceptions. I am mostly thinking of the Mk12's. Even though the are 'special purpose rifles', the soldiers using them would most likely play a designated marksman role.

Yeah, A DMR doesn't have to be a 7.62 or higher. Guys in my unit who are Designated Marksman just have an ACOG on their M4 instead of a M68. And The EST(SWAT) team uses scoped M16's for advanced sniper/recon purposes.

Basicly, a DMR is everything between a assault rifle with a scope (ak5b, ak5 with susat for example) to a special built rifle like Mk12's.

The basic idea with dmr's though is to have a rifle, that looks like all the other assault rifles in the squad, but the capability to take out targets at long range. The reason for this is that a guy with a huge sniper rifle will be a high value target, and not able to "play his role" as wanted. If he looks like everyone else, he won't stand out as a better target.

In airsoft though, too bad i must say, you can make a mp5k into a dmr (apart from the looks of course).

I would say that if you find a nice ref pic of a dmr rifle to go with your impression, it could be a normal assault rifle with a acog/susat/elcen. But if you wan't it to bee a bit more "tacticool" atleast it should be a full lengt rifle (m16) with a scope and bipod.

Thank you guys for the clarification on what IS a DMR. I think I totally understand.

As for the input on how my gun looks, thank you.. I will keep all of the info in mind when I start buying the new parts to DMR this thing out. I have a lot of idea, and now that I have an idea of what I need to do to make this a DMR I can start shopping.

Wiki is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman#Weapons_2

As it says DMRs can vary from just adding a scope of some kind to a standard weapon up to purpose built or highly modified ones.

This is just my personal opinion but I think DMRs look best when they have a long ish barrel (16"+) and free float foregrips.

Wiki is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman#Weapons_2

As it says DMRs can vary from just adding a scope of some kind to a standard weapon up to purpose built or highly modified ones.

This is just my personal opinion but I think DMRs look best when they have a long ish barrel (16"+) and free float foregrips.

Thanx for the feedback. I did read that, but Wiki has never been really reliable for me. But your input regarding the barrel length is what I was looking for exactly. I wanted to know if there was an unwritten standard on what is regarded as a DMR.

In Airsoft, I have found that imagination is 50% of the rule.

HOw's this fellas... I haven't changed the front end yet, but I tried cleaning things up a bit. Internally it is a DMR now.. 150 spring, Homemade MOSFET, Inner Barrell ends at Mock Silencer, Torque up gears, cut the selecter plate (Semi only). Cheap Bipod until the better one gets here. I hope this NcStar 3-9X42 Sight is adequate for my needs. The grip is comfy, so I am sticking with it. Gas block is the way it is for ease of maintainence, it is normal now. The Riser helps with use of the optics, I use a full face mask.

472930b2.jpg

435e0683.jpg

Question: would a Socom Stock work in a DMR setup.

This is my last pics of this gun unless I make a drastic change to it... No more pic whoring for me... And this thread has been very helpful. I appreciate all the info and feedback. Thanx!

Edited by SHWEL

It looks like he mounted a railed gas block upside down and put the handguard cap behind it. (although i could be wrong.)

SHWEL, I think if you got a 10in Troy MRF style rail and a Crane/fixed stock (to hide the wires) that gun would look pretty nice. It already looks much better than it did.

How is your rail at all solid without a front handguard cap?

I kinda addressed it in my post... It was upside down whil I was working on it in order to use the Bipod to prop it up.. But I have it setup for the handguard to work as designed. And there is a cap there.. It is just not visible in the pic. This front end is temporary. I will have to look into the One Oggy mentioned... Def was something longer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...