Revolver Picture Thread

My Tanaka S&W M29 8 Inch with a pair of real steel wooden grip panels and a Zeke full metal kit. Bought a plain kit and filed/sanded and then painted it myself. I also had the ugly grooves that run along the barrel on the top side straightened. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I think they were meant to hold clamps for a scope or something.

Tanaka_M29_8_FullMetal_3.jpg

Tanaka_M29_8_FullMetal_4.jpg

Tanaka S&W M10 with a pair of old style real steel wooden grip panels.

Tanaka_M10_4_3.jpg

Tanaka_M10_4_4.jpg

Tanaka Colt Police Positive with a pair of real steel wooden grip panels.

Tanaka_PolicePositive_3.jpg

Tanaka_PolicePositive_4.jpg

Edited by Lt.Fenix
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lt Fenix, what kind of paint did you use on the Zeke kit? Looks very professionally done.

I'd agree, but did you paint the side plate? It looks suspiciously like a standard Midnight Gold finish, although it may be the light.

Cheers.

I also had the ugly grooves that run along the barrel on the top side straightened. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I think they were meant to hold clamps for a scope or something.

If you mean the grooves running the length of the topstrap of the barrel their to reduce glare.

The paint job looks a lot better in the picture than it does in real life; I can see a very slight "grain" to it holding it in front of me about 6 inches away.

But anyway the base gun is a heavy weight version, so the side plate is from that. I didn't paint over it because I was worried about covering up the lightly eteched S&W trademark on it.

About the top grooves, I was actually referring to how the top rib thing "mushrooms out" instead of just being straight. If you have an M29 you can see it better at the barrel/frame interface. It's a minor thing, but it annoyed me so I had it straigtened out. But yeah I wouldn't remove those small grooves that run along the top of the rib of the barrel... it's pretty integral to the look, I guess I know what those are for now though.

If you have flattened off the side of the topstrap that runs along the barrel, that was a mistake as the real one is shaped like that.

I'll try and get a pictue later, to see if I am understanding what your saying. Also it wasn't intended for attaching mounts it's just a styling feature.

I changed the cylinder on the M19 so the finish matches up better:

M19update.jpg

Again, my SD prototype didnt come with the cylinder set so I was just using the original black M19 cylinder which looked very "grey" in contrast to the CNC kit. I swapped the cylinder off a midnight gold M19 which turns out to be a very close match ;)

If you look closely at the picture of Clint's Gun you can see the profile isn't actually square. It's especially noticeable where the barrel meets the frame.

And obviously where I said "Non of my M29/M629's has" I meant Non of my M29/M629's had . As my guns are know all manhole covers!

Edited by BigAl

Did wonder if you'd deactivated them - A couple of years ago a bloke was looking at deact handguns and said that he'd wished he had his revolver deactivated as the one for sale was priced a lot higher than the government gave him in compensation.

BTW, is Lt Fenix saying he changed the profile of the barrel rib from :

--------

\____/

to

---------

|_____|

Cheers.

Edited by snowman

Nice Super blackhawk. I have 7.5inch version. This gun is pure beauty. It's quite different feel compare to Tanaka SAA, where trigger and hammer action feels sharp but light, where Blackhawk feels heavier and clunkier. SAA is like "click-click-clack" where Blackhawk is "click-clunk!". Loading and unloading shells are pure fun, which is absent on Tanaka SAA as well. Aspect of having shell actualy allows you to do a proper training. I actualy quite like the plastic grip. It isn't bad at all. It feels very substantial when you hold it. SAA feels a bit "feminine" to my taste, although SAA indeed do feel a better built.

Only downer I can say bout it is that outerbarrel is not solidly attached to the frame and Marushin trademark engraved on it. Mine is already woobling a bit, although very slightly. But then nothing bit of epoxy can't fix. Really a miner problem I'd say.