Revolver Picture Thread

L - Frames have the same gripstrap dimensions as the K - Frame.

I stand imformed, but makes sense, as I said know nothing of the k-frame :)

The rest of the frame was beefed up to handle repeated use of .357 Magnum Ammo.

Well that and to compete directly with the Colt Python to which they had begun to loose sales.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to do with the Python mate, the Smith was always a cheaper better selling gun. Look at how many Police Departmens issued Smiths as oppossed to Pythons, hell Colt even introduced the King Cobra as a cheaper .357 for the Police Market to compete with the L Frames.

I assume your refering to the full length under barrel lug. The frame is nothing to do with the barrel the Frame is purely the part that holds the cylinder and barrel and houses the mech. The barrel can be any profile, it just happens that the first L Frames the 581/586 and 681/686 had full lug barrels.

Nothing to do with the Python mate, the Smith was always a cheaper better selling gun. Look at how many Police Departmens issued Smiths as oppossed to Pythons, hell Colt even introduced the King Cobra as a cheaper .357 for the Police Market to compete with the L Frames.

I assume your refering to the full length under barrel lug. The frame is nothing to do with the barrel the Frame is purely the part that holds the cylinder and barrel and houses the mech. The barrel can be any profile, it just happens that the first L Frames the 581/586 and 681/686 had full lug barrels.

Yes funny how the initially introduced L-frames visually follow one of the Python's most distinctive visual cues [at that time, now you can't swing a cat but for all the revolvers that come with some form of full length lug] - A pure co-incidence to be sure :D.

Mind you the King Cobra corresponds closer to the introduction of the Ruger GP100 series then that of the L-frame - Which was even cheaper then the corresponding S&W and came with rubber combat grips as stock.

Another reason for the pre-dominance of the Smith in the LE market was the perception that the Smith action and cylinder retension was stronger then that of Colt's [push button in comparison to pulling of part of the frame side back], I was never sure of that myself but it was the belief of most revolver users I spoke with. Mind you I did learn to shoot handguns 18 years ago on a [then] 30ish year old service issued M27.

Hopefully they know know the differance between a 629 and a 29 and wil bring out a one with a good quality Blued Finish, M29's don't come in Matte Black!

As for Smith versus Colt their is also the issue of the more curved backstrap on the Python which alows it to rid eup in the hand during recoil. This may be more comfortable than the more squared og Smiths but it is also a lot slower to get back on target when a rapid scond shot is required.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm not sure if it counts - but I'd still like one.

Any way after all these years of airsoft and it's only this summer I get my first revolver, along comes Autumn and another one turns up.

RugerSuperBlackhawk75.jpg

Ruger Super Blackhawk - also my first ever 8mm. I can resist anything but temptation.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Resident Evil collection has recently been expanded ^_^

DSC00172B.jpg

Marushin 8mm Colt Constrictor (Silver)

- Marushin Real Wood Grips

- HKS Speedloaders With Spare Marushin 8mm Shells

Not a 100% exact replica of Barry's Silver Serpent, but close enough to make me happy :D

Edited by Jin15
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm seriously considering adding a Tanaka revolver to my load-out. I've sold on all my AEG's for a gas pistol load out and I was thinking about using a Tanaka as a kind of 'hand sniper.'

I've been looking at the M500's and the Hunter and I read great things about Tanaka's on Just Pistols. Has anyone had any experience with these?

AFAIK the newer models don't have enough power to fit that role.

Tanaka’s replica is beautiful, up with their very best, but it is cruelly compromised by abysmal power which destroys accuracy and renders this very much a gun only for those who appreciate the aesthetics of airsoft pistols.

http://justpistols.co.uk/sw327r8.htm

As mentioned, that depends greatly on how they restricted the valve. If they just reduced the size of the exit hole, then you could dremel away. But if they reduced the size of the valve too, you'd need a whole new valve assembly, custom machined no doubt. If you want a sniper handgun much like the S&W .500, then get a S&W .500. Nothing much like it and there's still plenty of the "old and powerful" kind around.

I have taken apart a newer Tanaka to solve this very problem - all they did was shrink the size of the exit tube. A little drilling, and you can be back up to full power. The hardest part about doing that is taking the cylinder apart. Really not much of an issue if you aren't too squeamish about boring out a hole that's already there.

• 1 month later...