I received mine(551) last friday and skirmished with it during the weekend and ive been running it on a socom gear 11.1V 15c lipo. here is some basic info

I got it from airsoftgi, i dont have a chrono but their quality control slip said that it was firing at 400 fps. it came with 2 hicaps (ew) and a bottle of 1000-ish ICS bbs which seem to be of fairly good quality. the rifle itself is very solid and handles very nice and is slightly front heavy with only a very mild rattle coming from the folding stock hinge.

What's metal?

upper and lower receiver

barrel block

outer barrel

front sight base/gasregulator thingy/handguard retainer

front and rear sights

bolt

stock hinge

selector switches

trigger

trigger guard

magazine release paddle

flash hider

The metal parts on the Sig are very well finished and all have very smooth, matte finishes. all metal parts are a dull grey with the exception of the outer barrel, stock hinge, bolt, and the flash hider.

What's plastic

hand guards

pistol grip

stock

hand guard rails

little bit on the end of the bolt handle

the handguards and pistol grip feel exactly like the stuff that comes on ICS' ak74m, but the stock has a texture more similar to a TM G36C. kind of odd.

The hopup is a rotary drum type and holds its adjustments well, it also has an o-ring between the muzzle end of the hopup unit and the inner barrel for a good seal, on full auto i get the occasional flier <_<

One thing that i found interesting is that there is a brass collar in the muzzle end of the outer barrel that the inner barrel slides into keeping it stable. i thought it was very nice of ics to include as im sure most of us have o-rings and electrical tape around the tip of out barrels.

gripes

Bolt handle had a crack in it, nothing serious, but kind of annoying

about 500 rounds into owning the rifle semi auto became fully automatic. upon opening the gearbox i discovered that there was what seemed to be some excess material left on the cut off lever from the casting process that was holding the lever too high to be engaged by the sector gear. After some minor filing semi auto was fully functioning.

I wont go into internals as Alakdan's pictures explain things pretty well

If anyone has any questions i would be happy to answer them

Edited by FELDJAGER
  • 3 weeks later...

Update.

Mag midcaps DO NOT fit without modification. You have to file the area that the magazine catch engages to make it shorter, or you could file the mag catch itself to be shorter.

aannnd my semi automatic disappeared again, i took apart the gear box and couldn't find anything amiss, reassembled it and it worked fine :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

quick update,

I emailed ICS about my cracked cocking handle plastic bit ( i call it a shoe. . . ), they told me to go bother airsoft GI for one. ASGI then told me that they cannot get the part from their distributor and proceeded to tell me to go bother ICS for one. After supplying ICS with a picture of the damage they offered to send me a new one, completely free of charge.

The plastic shoe slips over a metal stalk coming from the bolt, the stalk doesn't run the entire length of the shoe so it puts a fair but of strain right on the center of the plastic bit when the bolt is pulled back, just a warning to 551 owners.

Update.

Mag midcaps DO NOT fit without modification. You have to file the area that the magazine catch engages to make it shorter, or you could file the mag catch itself to be shorter.

aannnd my semi automatic disappeared again, i took apart the gear box and couldn't find anything amiss, reassembled it and it worked fine :mellow:

Feldjager, would you mind posting some pictures and a tutorial on how to do this? I see this question has been asked many times on other forums.

Hi Mig1

Unfortunately i do not have a proper camera, so all i could do was get a quick cell phone pic, augmented by my tremendous MSpaint skillz.

Photo0299.jpg

I used a regular hand file. The mags have just a little too much material on the back ridge that the mag catch engages, remember to test fit it often when filing; removing too little material is always better than too much.

After your done filing your mags so they actually fit in your rifle, you may become aware of the fact they DO NOT FEED.

WARNING I am not responsible for any Broken sig magazines (sorry had to get that out of the way)

It seems that the square double stacked BB channel is to blame. When the channel transitions from double stack to single stack right before it enters the gun the BBs get stuck. My only option was to... split.. the mags..apart :( , basically just unscrew the two screws in the connector pegs and shove a screw driver in the feed tube to pry the halves apart enough to fit a knife blade in the seem running down the mag. then use a hammer for screwdriver handle to tap the knife down the seem, hopefully splitting the mag in half. This isnt exactly the most graceful way of doing it but i couldnt think of any other options :)

After my terrifying ordeal with splitting all my mags in half i proceeded to inspect the feed tube, and just as i suspected the transition was the problem. The only way i can explain it is that the angle is too sharp and the BBs get stuck in the corners, you'll need to smooth it out with a file or sandpaper. Here is a crude drawing.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by FELDJAGER
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Had my ICS SG551 out for my first Skirmish, thought I'd sum up my experiences here for others to read:

I put a few thousand rounds through the gun with the hop-dialled on fully, took a while longer than my TM552 to bed in but nothing to complain about.

I did have a few minor issues that I'll go over:

0-2,500 rounds I experienced 3-4 serious jams where I had to physically remove the magazine, break the gun apart and clear the barrel.

During the break for lunch I re-lubed the gun, stripped and lubed the hi-caps and reassembled.

2,500-5,000 rounds I had no further jamming issues, I hope/assume/pray this is a teething issue with the gun bedding in or down to the hi-caps.

I'm using a 1400mah 7.4v lipo stick-battery in the hand-guard the ROF of the gun is spectacular and with an M100 fires at bang on 330 fps, just perfect for those of us in the UK.

Changing the spring was also painless in comparison to the TM552 which was like performing open-heart surgery while suffering from parkinsons.

Anyone interested in accessories might be keen to know that the TM top-rail fits perfectly, I don't know about the cheek-rest as mine is an ICS.

I've also encountered a small problem with the bolt catch, because the charging handle itself is removable the small plastic/metal retaining cover is held in place by a spring, this has a tendency to work loose and you are at risk of losing the handle itself, so beware! You do not want to lose that handle.

I simply remove mine after setting/tweaking my hop and keep it safe and sound on my person.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to DP, but can't edit my last post:

Update:

Changed the inner barrel to a tightbore 455mm and covered the excess barrel with a silencer, hoping this will deal with the "fliers" I'm getting on full auto.

The gun is frighteningly accurate when using BBBMax Bioval's, but when using .2's or .25's they tend to go a bit mental after 40 meters even though they've still got plenty of flight left.

I'll find out on Sunday when I skirmish it, hopefully this will let me snipe a wee bit better with it.

Absolutely loving it otherwise, no major issues to bring up, shoots like a dream and my jamming issues is long-gone.

I have also picked up some Mag Midcaps and can confirm you need to file down the lip as per Feldjager's instructions, kudos for those.

More soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the mechbox of the ICS SIG 552 the same as other SIG 552 MECHBOX?

From my vague memories of the TM SG 552 it's a V2, same as the ICS SG551, I assume the 552 is a V2 as well.

So in short, yes.

But I'm a little hazy on the ol TM Gearbox, it's been a long time since I had mine.