Well, it's been three months since my last update:

I've done quite a bit of work to the 551 in the past month to try and improve it's already stellar performance to something I'm happy with.

Using stock internals and the extended barrel it's still suffering from flingers, but the increased barrel length has pushed them out another 10 meters or so to 50ish.

I've now replaced the stock hop rubber with a Systema unit in the hope this will help with the generally poor performance of the hop-up unit in this rifle.

Other than that, I've had no major drama with the gun running on LiPo's. Gone through around 9,000 rounds or so now, I imagine I'm safely through the initial teething problems and I can say safely it's not had another jam after the 2,500 round mark or so.

Image for posterity:

IMG_1298.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pathetic Review, half-assing a review by taking photo's and saying "it's more than 1,000" words isn't just cliche, but lazy.

How about we get performance reports, internal specs, pictures of said internals?

Most reviews I've stumbled across on the ICS 551 are BS sugar coated bull from retailers or some 14 year old saying FPS IS HIGH and OMG I CAN HIT A TREE, I"M GOING TO BE A NAVY SEAL SNYPURRR!

Pathetic Review, half-assing a review by taking photo's and saying "it's more than 1,000" words isn't just cliche, but lazy.

How about we get performance reports, internal specs, pictures of said internals?

Most reviews I've stumbled across on the ICS 551 are BS sugar coated bull from retailers or some 14 year old saying FPS IS HIGH and OMG I CAN HIT A TREE, I"M GOING TO BE A NAVY SEAL SNYPURRR!

Pathetic review? There's not actually a "Proper" review in this thread, the original link has since died, most of us owners have since then provided tips/information based on our experience.

If you're that hung up on there not being a decent review do one yourself.

• 1 month later...

I've reviewed the ICS SiG552 here:

http://airsoftodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/02/ics-sig-552-commando-review.html

although I'm not sure it has the kind of detail some of you guys want etc. I wasnt keen on stripping it right down.

Over the time I've had her she's been great and none of the double feed issues some people on some forums have referred to. With an 11.1v Lipo i was getting 1120 RPM out of her1 not sure i can carry enough ammo at that rate!

I would love to get a battery operated drum/c mag type thing for it. Anyone have any info on what that works rather than modding 2 standard mags?

You can leave your comments or questions on the review as well.

The OP states that his review is all about the pictures and that they say it all...

Can the OP fix his post so the images are viewable, or fix the link so there is no 404 error?

Would like to see what the original poster had to show us.

Thanks to the others that have followed up with images that are viewable and their reports.

Edited by dstole
  • 1 month later...

Hi Mig1

Unfortunately i do not have a proper camera, so all i could do was get a quick cell phone pic, augmented by my tremendous MSpaint skillz.

Photo0299.jpg

I used a regular hand file. The mags have just a little too much material on the back ridge that the mag catch engages, remember to test fit it often when filing; removing too little material is always better than too much.

After your done filing your mags so they actually fit in your rifle, you may become aware of the fact they DO NOT FEED.

Thanks FELDJAGER for the brief "tutorial" on how to adapt the MAG magazines. Just got my mags from eHobbyAsia last week, filed the ridge like you said and voilá!!! they worked just fine... Took them for a skirmish on Sunday and couldn't be happier with the result... and I must add that I did not experience any problems with the feeding so I didn't need to crack them open and do any sort of modification... There's a small wobble though, but nothing I can't live with...

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I'm using ICS SIG 551, the only bad thing was, that i broke my piston in use 2 hour's only.

A replace it with an CA blue reinforced, now i'm using it for more that one year, in this period i replace original hop up bucking with madbull blue, but the only thing i did not use from madbull was nub, because is too big.

Now my ICS replica run even better, and i'v got about 10 fps more.

Image for posterity:

IMG_1298.jpg

Hey Touji,

What type/model/brand are the mag pouches shown in your picture??? Are those regular M4 mag pouches?? I want to get a Flyye RRV and wanted to know if my SG mags (both ICS and MAG) will fit in the the standard M4 molle mag pouches...

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Has anyone had any problems/issues with the folding stock?

After a year of not so intense use (once or twice per month) mine broke... What really broke is the plastic piece inside that holds the metal stud in place. At first I noticed the plastic stock was getting a little loose (I should have stopped using it then...), and then after one or two more skirmishes (on the same day) it was completely loose... to pieces of plastic fell off from inside the stock. Whent I got home I removed the stock by removing the pin and had a hard time trying to remove the plastic stock from the metal end.

Now I'm having one hell of a time trying to get a replacement. I wrote to ICS and they haven't responded to my emails. Found this piece on Evike but it costs USD 40 and the shipping to Chile is USD 45 which is outrageous. Found it on Firesupport and it costs GBP 35 and the shipping is GBP14 but can't seem to be able to pay via paypal... arrrrgh... And none of the usual Asian online retailers seems to have it in stock.

Other than that , I love my gun, it performs great. I would hate to have to stop using it because I can't get a replacement stock.

• 7 months later...

I have an ICS Sig 551 and have been very impressed by the stock accuracy and reliability. My overall impressions of this gun are very good. Here are my thoughts.

Sig551.png

The externals of the gun pretty are nice but I wouldn't say they're top notch. 7/10

- The plastic parts are quite robust

- The aluminum receiver has realistic trades but they aren't engraved as deeply as one would like.

- Rotating rear drum sight gives 3 different view options and clicks solidly into place adjustable for windage and elevation. Front sight is adjustable for windage and has a second (larger) flip-up blade sight.

- The removable charging handle and functioning bolt catch in a nice realistic touch. But don't let the charging handle slam forward too many times or the piece that holds the charging handle in will break making your charging handle easy to lose.

- The selector switch is very stiff at first but will become better with time.

- The trigger guard is too lose and will swing around on you when you don't want it to. I glued mine in place and it hasn't bothered me since.

- Easy break down and battery installation.

The stock internals are pretty impressive for ICS. I've put 50,000 rds + through it with zero issues. 8/10

- Factory shimming was pretty good, lubrication was also good.

- Gears and anti reversal latch seem to be made out of nicely machined good quality steel.

- The nozzle is proprietary but seems to seal well.

- Cylinder is good and smooth but cylinder head has a bit of a lose fit.

- Piston and piston head are respectable. Piston has a metal first tooth and the piston head is plastic non-ported with no bearings.

- Comes with the ICS turbo 3000 motor. This is motor performs very well, only one little issue is that it's a bit loud and high pitched.

- Spring guide is mediocre and has no bearings

- The plastic hop-up functions very well, but could probably use a better rubber.

- inner barrel is 363mm aluminum, bore?

Overall rating 7.5/10, a very nice gun for the price.

I have never used the stock Hi-Cap so I couldn't tell you is it's any good. I have been using Mag brand 100 rd midcaps and they feed very well. TM compatable mags (such as the mag brand mags) will fit and feed well in this gun with a small amount of filing. Mod

A 9.6 stick battery will fit nicely in the hand guard (551 only) and provide a decent ROF.

Recommended upgrades for best performance are as follows:

- Better sealing cylinder head

- Ported piston head with bearing.

- Bearing spring guide

- TBB

- Hop rubber

Edited by Kozzie