Vanaras ANPEQ 15/ Advanced Target Pointer/ Illuminator/ Aiming Light (ATPIAL)

Info on the real one

The PEQ15/ARPIAL is a product of Insight Tech Gear designed as a replacement for the PEQ2. The PEQ15 is smaller and can be sighted without night vision unlike its predecessor. This is due to the visible laser being adjusted at the same time as the infra red laser. The laser also has the ability to project different shapes so your team mates know who is aiming where.

This info is just some interesting background knowledge since the Vanaras one does not do any of those things. It does help people complete a certain impression they are going for. In my case it’s a base for the infrared laser unit that Vanaras sells.

Overview

First I would like to thank Vanaras for sending me the review samples that they did. Being as this is just a hollow box with some levers I will do the overview section of this speaking of where it is close to the real, where it differs and the overall quality.

Upon receiving the unit I took the box and noticed the plane box with company sticker on it. The sticker includes the product code, product name, quantity, url of the site, barcode and the Vanaras rubber duck logo. The box is small and sturdy and opens with a nice flap. Inside the box you’re greeted with the PEQ15 without stickers on it, the stickers, an allen key, anodized blue training screw, and nice and detailed instructions explaining where to stick the stickers. The stickers are of high quality and they include three main stickers of different coloring for the top so you can choose. It also includes the other various stickers required for the box and a sticker with the Vanaras logo on it with url. The instructions are just super detailed black and white pictures with very few words on them. They show the few features the box has and how to take it apart and add stickers. I will not be photographing the unit without stickers since I am sure you have enough imagination to think of it without stickers.

The PEQ15 itself is a very sturdy piece made of high quality plastic. I was sent the sand version for review. The two filters on the front of the device can be moved off to the side and are held nicely in place by the rubbery straps that secure them. This is where a difference can be noted. The sand version on Insights web page shows tan colored straps instead of the black ones the Vanaras one comes with. All of the adjustment screws for the lasers are non functioning on the PEQ15. The function dial is 100% functional though and turns nice and smoothly. This is where the attention to detail comes in with the blue training screw. For training the screw is inserted in a hole on the dial stopping it from being turned onto high power. There is also the storage spot for it on the side of the unit. The battery cap does not remove and the fire button is non functional. On the insight page the fire button is tan where as its black on this model. I personally prefer the black color of the Vanaras version since it seems like it would be easier to see and hit, however a detail oriented person may complain about that. The stickers fit perfectly in the recessed areas for each one. The rail mount is exactly like the one on the real one and mounts easily on rails (I do not own an AR at this time so I won’t put up a picture of it on my vsr since it looks silly). To open the unit you need to pull the ir/visible laser cover to the side and carefully pull the face plate off. I have to emphasize carefully doing this because I wasn’t and broke a tab. The inside is hollow and Vanaras have released a lipo battery for it. The battery requires you to cut a hole in the bottom of the unit.

Pro’s

Solid unit with great attention to detail

Con’s

Requires modification to use it as a battery box

Could use a tiny bit of reinforcement on the tabs

Pictures

1.jpg

A top view of the device

2.jpg

Left side of the device

3.jpg

Right side of the device notice the hole for storing the training screw

4.jpg

Rear of the device

5.jpg

Front of the device with filters on

6.jpg

Front of the device with filters off

7.jpg

Bottom of the device

8.jpg

Front plate removed

9.jpg

A close up of the blue training screw

Bean,

excedllent review.

Crunchy,

Lipo's are the way forward. Great ROF and they last a lot longer than the older type batteries. I have one in my VFC with no mods and it's fired 30K worth of bb's without a hitch.

Grr...... I was hoping to be able to fit a mini in it. And thier isn't a way to make a custom battery for it...... I never really have fully "trusted" a Lipo. Especially in the KA M4 based build I'm going for.

Bean,

excedllent review.

Crunchy,

Lipo's are the way forward. Great ROF and they last a lot longer than the older type batteries. I have one in my VFC with no mods and it's fired 30K worth of bb's without a hitch.

I may have to consider it. I'm not sure a stock KA M4 could handle one though......

I asked it else where with no reply so it might be a case that no one knows the answer but wondered if this style battery would fit (since its shorter than regualr small battery)?

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i....6V%20Batteries

If someone could let me know I'd be very greatful. cheers.

I asked it else where with no reply so it might be a case that no one knows the answer but wondered if this style battery would fit (since its shorter than regualr small battery)?

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i....6V%20Batteries

If someone could let me know I'd be very greatful. cheers.

Normal PEQ possibly, this one no.

Edited by LordElpus

People have this wierd thought that lipo will explode there guns. Its not true to an extent. You will most often get a slightly higher rate of fire which means your gun will die a tad faster then run on just a regular battery. However the decrease in trigger lag, rof boost make lipo a great idea. Give it a go you will like it.

I repainted my Vanaras PEQ15 to be a bit more aesthetically accurate. Re-painted using Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II to match Magpul FDE. Still far from perfect, but it's closer than it started as. Also weathered it a bit to show off the details and recesses:

peq1501sq7.jpgpeq1502gp9.jpg

BTW, anyone planning on doing a similar refinish job, note that all the plastic black buttons/screws are super glued in place when they arrive. Getting them out is nigh impossible without breaking the pieces. I snapped off two knobs before I said f*ck that, and just masked them all with tape rather than try to remove the rest.

More pics here.