ACM M500 modified for CO2 (Brilliant Mod)

kizza

A few months ago I purchased the ACM M500 gas shotgun (6mm shorty version) and I was very happy with the purchase. The shotgun fires 5 pellets per shot and has a nice pumping motion that puts a grin on my face every time :). BUT, this gun had a downfall. It used green gas and you can only get around 5 - 8 good shots with green gas before performance just literally was non-existant.

So, I had a plan, to use CO2 and modify the gun to take a Paintball CO2 rig. 'WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!!111' you might say, but at the end of the day this gun is now my primary weapon using a 20oZ Co2 tank on my back with a remote paintball hose. It's all personal preference and in my opinion I have improved this gun immensley. The tank lasts for A LONG time. Considering a 20oZ Co2 tank on a paintball gun lasts 500-800 shots, with this airsoft shotgun i've had over 2000 already with this one tank and STILL the tank feels full.

I used the help of an American airsofter (on AirsoftForum.com, called Filipinofreak) to help build the mod via email. He already made this and did a great job. I had to order the hose and fittings from America to keep things simple and drilled and tapped where the original gas refil valve was for 1/8 NPT (American National Pipe Thread) and used PTFE tape to create a nice seal in the gas chamber.

'2Co2 ARE YOU MAD, THAT'S GOING TO BE DEADLY' you might also think but I have installed an adjustable pressure regulator to adjust the pressure between 0-300 PSI (300 PSI being about 500 fps, which I won't use obviously)

I was really suprised when I had finished the mod and screwed in the tank to find not one leak, not even a small one.

Soon enough I will give detailed instructions on how to do this mod by request (if any) so you can experience this gun with CO2 :)

Check the pic:

IMG_8300.jpg

Cartridges for asthetic looks only

Feel free to give any opinions :D

So you are at 2k shots with no problems?

Sounds promising.

What FPS are you using this at, i assume when you say 300psi leads to 500fps thats 500fps to each BB.

Correct, and no one want 5 bb's hurling towards their face at 500 fps (kinda like what happened on Sunday to a friend who asked to be shot in the face with a balaclava on, didn't turn out well, he bled from his face)

I run the rig at around 150 - 200 PSI giving me between (330 - 350 FPS)

All those 2000 shots had no problems, even in +1 degree C it worked brilliantly. Also because it's Co2, there is no pressure loss until all the gas has been used, pretty amazing stuff really.

I'm not sure procreation with an M500 is adviceable.. :P

Meh, it's fine as long as you know what your doing. I spent weeks researching before I touched the thing with a bargepole. You really don't want to mess up on this one as were talking about HP gas!

I'm not sure procreation with an M500 is adviceable.. :P

Also, my MG would be jealous ;)

What's the range of that thing at <300fps, and what pressure would you use to get the fps down to that level?

I've heard the hopup on the 6mm model is pretty poor, but I guess something could be bodged up to work.

Also, my MG would be jealous ;)

What's the range of that thing at <300fps, and what pressure would you use to get the fps down to that level?

I've heard the hopup on the 6mm model is pretty poor, but I guess something could be bodged up to work.

Fact, there is NO hop up on the 6mm :P. From what i've seen with .25g bb's you don't need hop up. Think about it, it's a Shotgun, it's designed to spread.

I'm guessing at 300fps the range is about 100 150 feet. Even with no hop up there is barely any 'bullet drop'

this gun had a downfall. It used green gas and you can only get around 5 - 8 good shots with green gas before performance just literally was non-existant.

Feel free to give any opinions :D

orly?

mine will empty all 3 tubes and have enough gas left ofer for another 5 - 8 shots.

maybe something was wrong with yours?

anywho, hope this doesnt sound like a dig at yourself, youve done some great work there. love the variable fps for skirmishing :)

cool, any way you could re-route the hose to come out of the pistol grip? looks a bit cumbersome where it is.

I suppose you could but it would be very fiddly.

I would love a tutorial on how to do this.

Ok then, you've inspired me. M500 owners, stay tuned for an in depth tutorial soon!

i've been waiting for more converters. theres a guy on classicairsoft that i talked to about doing it. he had converted his to much avail too. basicly he took out the gas block, chopped off the gas input valve neck (after removing the valve) then drilled and tapped the hole for his QD fitting which he teflon taped in place. cant wait for your guide. im finishing off my super shorty project with this mod. then, hopefully, im gonna build another one.

the hardest part was chopping down the loading tubes, ill get you the proper measurements to a barrel that's 6.5 inches long so you wont have to go through the trials and tribulations that i did (almost had to buy new piping). with the shorter barrel, i don't think it will be worth much anymore for outside, but its rape in CQB. the ammo count lies in an extremely realistic range with maybe 16 BBs per tube, which is ~3 shots per tube.

as for pics, idk, i may just never put them up.

the hardest part was chopping down the loading tubes, ill get you the proper measurements to a barrel that's 6.5 inches long so you wont have to go through the trials and tribulations that i did (almost had to buy new piping). with the shorter barrel, i don't think it will be worth much anymore for outside, but its rape in CQB. the ammo count lies in an extremely realistic range with maybe 16 BBs per tube, which is ~3 shots per tube.

as for pics, idk, i may just never put them up.

aces, cheers! if you could pm me some details, that would be great.

no probs on the pics, was just curious as to how it looked :)

I've sold my M500, it was the 6mm version - i can imagine this mod would've been excellent. I've got CO2 rigs on my 338, so i could've tried it, but just didn't think whilst i had it, to experiment :( Anyway, i appreciate the work of anybody that does this kind of barking mad thing, so props to you! :)

theres a guy on classicairsoft that i talked to about doing it.

Yea, this is the same guy who helped me through with the rig. E-mails flying back and forward :P, his name is Filipinofreak. Hats off to him, he took quite a lot of time typing detailed instructions for me.

I suppose if you're a bit concerned about lugging a large bottle about, you could always use the small 12g CO2 bulb adaptors that are available and attach it somewhere on the shottie. In a bag on the stock for instance (not on kizza's non stock version obviously).

I like the option. Nice job Kizza.

Archived