Airsoft sightings in Movies and TV shows

Someone mentioned it to me a while ago. They reckoned it was just really good CGI. Especially in 'that scene' its surely too close to use blanks, although you cant really see the angles. Still pretty dangerous. So I watched the shooting scenes over and over a few times. Theres just some odd things about it, especially in the club scene, mainly erratic shell ejection and quite low recoil even for blanks. Of course all this could be ###### and and it could just be put down to a poorly tuned extractor and a very well trained actor...

Ye thats a fair point, unless its just a PFC with extra bright caps. The link below points out with a face shot he actually misses (intentional?). Your point about the actor being very well trained is a good point, I think the 6 months on the the range meant he perfected it to a rather awesome standard. That said, alot of movies are now done using CGI for firearm effects, sometimes to a standard where its very hard to tell the difference, I just thought being a Mann film he'd avoid it.

Bit of a rant I know, just like my films is all. cheers :D

http://www.imfdb.org/images/a/ac/CollateralUSP-45-0-1.jpg

Edited by Handsome Pete
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you watch Jericho closely, you can see the fill valve on that M92 multiple times. Also when the guy in the OP (can't remember his name) shoots a dude driving a truck, you can see the hammer go down and hear a noise, but the slide doesn't move. I had to stop watching that show because many of the gun fights were downright retarded. I couldn't suspend disbelief anymore when guys with supposed military experience just stand in a line and shoot at each other.

I'm also having a hard time believing that Michael Mann would use airsoft guns in his films.

I have worked on stage and screen as a theatrical armourer, and good quality airsoft replicas were a god send, as they tend to be lighter than real steel or blank firing replicas, so the actors can have a airsoft pistol in a holster for long periods of time without it being uncomfortable for them and looking uncomfortable (remember most actors don't walk around in their real lives carrying a heavy pistol on their hip or under their arm.), and speaking from an armourers point of view, if an airsoft gun goes missing its nowhere near as big a problem as a real steel gun going missing.

On the other hand bad quality airsoft replicas can be a real nightmare, I worked on a production of Carmon for the English National Oprah at the Coliseum in London back in the 90s. It was set during the invasion of Cyprus and the prop department had took it upon themselves (without consulting the company I worked for.) to get all the M16 replicas from Battle Orders, about 40 low quality springers. Well on the opening night me and my boss were stage right with rolls of sparky tape, trying desperately to tape the guns back together every time a member of the chorus came of stage with their rifle falling to bits in their hands. During one parade act 4 mags poped out onto the stage and one poor fellows stock came off.

Elliot.

Alien vs Predator

Desert Eagle and G36 prop. Supplied by Wolf Armouries I believe.

AVP_DE.jpg

AVP_G36C.jpg

Crank

The Beretta Chev takes from the Biker policeman has KSC/KWC on the grips you can see in the close up. I cant get a clear grab from the DVD but if you have the Blue Ray of it i'd imagine you'd be able to see it.

The team in Torchwood are armed with TM Hi-Capa 4.3's with a Torchwood panel stuck to the slide. Apart from Jack, of course, who has an old Revolver, Webley I think. You can see the inner barrel in a couple of shots in series one.

They're safer to use in the confines of a film set, with relatively un-trained actors, and its real easy to put just the right amount of muzzle flash in during post-production, so its obvious why they'd be favoured over blank firers.

Edited by scorch
The team in Torchwood are armed with TM Hi-Capa 4.3's with a Torchwood panel stuck to the slide. Apart from Jack, of course, who has an old Revolver, Webley I think. You can see the inner barrel in a couple of shots in series one.

They're safer to use in the confines of a film set, with relatively un-trained actors, and its real easy to put just the right amount of muzzle flash in during post-production, so its obvious why they'd be favoured over blank firers.

Yeap there Hi-Capa 4.3's watch the episode Countrycide in the first season it made me laugh. One of the bad characters (the policeman) I think uses a TM 1911A1 as well.

Jack does use a Webley its a Mk.4 I belive, that's an old deact and they put the bangs and flash in post production as well.

Cheers

Rich

I Heard a rumor that the the M1 Garands used in LOST are Airsoft. but i doubt it, that show has a lot of money!

I sometimes watch 'The making of ...' programmes if I'm really bored and they often mention using replica or airsoft guns because they're inherently safe and they don't need to worry about security either - it's no biggie if an airsoft gun gets knicked fiscally or law-enforcement wise.

Lots of real magazines feature something that looks very much like a fill valve, btw, so you can't always assume a hole in a magazine base means airsoft.

Cheers.

Doctor who uses G36Cs (if you look at the flash hiders you can tell which are blank firers and which are softs)

Just a quick note the guns shooting blanks are real steel guns adapted to fire blanks. To the best of my knowledge no one manufactures a blank firing G36.

Elliot.