Capacitor bank

Tacitus

There's this article about adding a capacitor bank to an AEG on AirsoftMechanics.com.

I'm an upgrade-monkey who's addicted to tinkering. So this looks tempting...

But of course I lack the necessary knowledge to know how crazy this is, and I have no idea where in the circuit the thing should go.

Not to mention finding space in my gun.

So, does anyone have any experience with capacitor bank + AEG?

T

If you read the tomes of discussion on that article in their forums you will be a little more enlightened.

To put it in a sentence it wont do anything if you have a high quality electrical system and a killer battery. Its supposed to help deal with the sinusoid load of the motor by supplementing the battery. The problem is that unless you have some reallly expensive caps, then having a high quality electrical system and a high quality battery is better. High Quality NimH batteries dont even go above 50% of their discharge potential to run AEG's that are put together right.

You can also electrocute yourself pretty good if you aren't careful with them. Ground after using, etc...

how?? you will have maximum of a 12v system on an aeg, and if you install a resistor accross the cap also it will dis-charge itself.

12v system wont electrocute you, i have 2x 1.2farad caps in my car boot that are permently charged and ive never had a problem with being shocked

Yes, a drain resistor is a good idea but capacitors still hold a lot of energy even at low voltages and can shock you quite badly. 1 farad is a lot of energy.

And just out of interest, why do you have two caps in you boot?

Stu.

how?? you will have maximum of a 12v system on an aeg, and if you install a resistor accross the cap also it will dis-charge itself.

12v system wont electrocute you, i have 2x 1.2farad caps in my car boot that are permently charged and ive never had a problem with being shocked

Voltage isn't going to shock you :rolleyes:

im guessing its for a large subwoofer/s. they are used to stop long bass tones from dropping off.

its the usual reason for caps in car boots :P

Yea, i have 1 of the capacitors for the 1200w sub amp and 1 of the caps for the 1200w speaker amp.

rule of thumb is every 1000W of power you need 1farad capacitor.

so i have 2400w of amp power (even though im not using the full power of them its advisible as my car battery is dieing also) i needed 2.4f (cheaper to buy 2 1.2f at £30 the 2 than to spend £150 buying a 2.4f)

Voltage isn't going to shock you :rolleyes:

It will hurt you however. Capacitors can give you a painful shock, IIRC the volts do the damage (potential burns/ corterisation of skin) Amps do the killing (though not in the quantities we're dealing with).

Anyone who has played with the inside of a disposable camera can tell you that :D

Archived