Airsoft Shopping in Hong Kong

Fightingchook

I spent 5 days in Mong Kok last August,and only discovered this thread once back in Paris.The info here is accurate enough,except for the remarks against the Marine Shop where i was very well greeted.At one point ,the guy had to find some duster gas to let me test this vintage GBB I was interested in buying and just popped out to a neighbouring shop to borrow some,leaving me alone in the shop for over 5 mn .Bless him.I could've run off with all his collection.

He also never added the 3% surcharge when i pay with a Visa card,a practice extremely common in HK airshop shops.

Otherwise what i can add to this thread is this:

The shops you'll find in this area are SHOWROOMS and may or may not carry everything you see on the corresponding websites.Some will even refuse to take orders over the counter for stuff that are listed as "in stock" on their site.

The price in HK dollars can turn out to be cheaper than the price in USD for the same item,if it's available.

Keep your eyes peeled for vintage models,if you are a collector,because they only appear in the showroom but not on the website.

And finally,and most importantly, HK post office only take CASH for AirMail parcels.

(they take Visa if you use Speedpost,which invariably translates into more Money spent on Custom and handling charges by your country's equivalent courrier service upon arrival,on top of being more expensive than Airmail to start with).So be prepared ,do not spend over your ATM weekly withdrawal limit (i.e in order to avoid the 3% credit card surcharge only to find that you are stuck with 20 kg of airsoft guns to send home and being forced to use the more expensive alternative.)

Cheers to all

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the good thing about hong kong is there are soo many shops just in one street! haha and many of the stuff are either cheaper or same priced. while your here if ur looking at hong kong brands such as G&P it will be worthwhile to buy them here because they are extreamly cheap. G&P m14 DMR 2100 hkd= 270 U.S the prices on redwolf, wgc, etc...'s websites are all 300+ its a good 30+ dollers off. BTW my friend just opened up a shop called Operation Proshop its at kwong wa street same as the others. If your looking for alot of magpul things go check it out! :P

One more tip! Dont hesitate to ask them to order somthing in. or if somthing isnt shown in the display cases, just ask them chances are they'll have them in stock.

If you can, try airsofting here in hong kong there are many great places :D

Have fun!

• 2 months later...

very good guide, thanks fightingchook!

I am in HK right now on business and popped into all the shops. Must say, living in the UK, I am once again reminded of how ripped off we are on these shabby shores.

Planning to get a custom DMR type piece at Gun Work Shop, anyone had any dealings with them with regards to custom builds? and shipping overseas?

Haven't made my way to redwolf yet, do you guys think its worth the trek?

Thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A quick bit of feedback on the Mong Kok airmsmiths I've just started using them.

I've found New Sniper (E on the map) to be less than helpful. He seems to have some kind of brand snobbery going on and insists that he'll only work on TM and CA and that the 'Chinese guns' are beneath him, which is odd given that AEGs are hardly rocket science and gearbox internals are largely interchangeable. Given my two negative experiences there, (once to ask about buying a secondhand TM and more recently just to replace a piston) I'd have to rate his customer service as a complete fail. His English is quite poor. When I asked about turnaround, he gave a minimum of 3 days. He closes at 9pm

There's an airsmith called GMD across the hallway (between M and O) who is much more helpful. The guy there (Alan) is friendly and his English is remarkably good. 2 day turnaround time for the work I requested. He closes at 9pm.

I've walked through In's Point mall probably about 5 times. The Hi Power airsmith there has only been open once, so his hours do seem to be very random. The one time I've managed to find him open, he did seem quite friendly. I've never asked him to do any work for me though.

• 3 weeks later...

No affiliation, but good service deserves getting the word out...

Shootercbgear now have a shop in the "gun street" area. Have to say that Ben's service is great. I asked for HKD prices on some Flyye gear and he got back to me straight away. I told him when I'd be in HK and he said he'd keep the stuff for me. Given my past customer service experience in the area, I thought "Yeah, right..." But fair play to Ben, though, I walked into the shop, asked for him, told him who I was and he pulled out a bag with my gear from behind the counter. And there was no "Well, actually the price is higher than what I told you in my e-mail" nonsense. Top bloke.

I haven't ordered online from him, but if you find yourself in HK, he's worth getting touch beforehand.

Also, a thumbs up for Jeff at Royal Tiger. I wanted some Pantac gear from him but he doesn't have a store. I arranged to meet him at an MTR station (HK subway) and he turned up bang on time with my bits. Can't say if he'd be up for doing that on a regular basis, but he's clearly willing to go out of his way.

And while I'm on a roll, Tokyo Model are always decent any time I'm in their store...

Again, no affiliation to any retailer - just trying share positive experiences with fellow PD enthusiasts...

And while I'm on a roll, Tokyo Model are always decent any time I'm in their store...

I'd echo the Tokyo Model recommendation- they've been friendly and helpful whenever I've asked them about things. A good change from the surly norm that seems to be standard for most of the Kwong Wa stores.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very good post wink.gif

I spent 5 years working in HK (where I got into airsoft), what OP said is pretty much accurate.

My own experience:

When I first got into Airsoft, I pretty much spent most Saturdays in Mong Kok just browsing and....well, dreaming about all the gear I would buy.

Service is a bit hit and miss in most shops, I won't name names on my bad experiences but I ended up just buying from two shops, WGC and Den Trinity.

The tall, bald bloke from WGC is particullarly helpful.

Both shops just have the best range of stock in Mong Kok, prices are going to vary, but it has to be said, both shops AREN'T the cheapest in HK but it's very convienient one stop shop. Supreme Co is another good place, especially for tactical equipment from the like of BH, 5.11 etc.

If I wanted something custom, I allways went to Felix Chu. He has a little shop below his workshop. This guy knows his stuff, but he is VERY expensive but well worth it.

Things to remember for Airsoft shopping in HK, bring cash tongue.gif have patience for staff who don'y speak good English wink.gif and really, really, start your shopping after lunch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

U're kidding...why do they have a button on their home page saying "HK Retail Store"!? I think your HK contact may be mistaken.

I called them up just now and they told me that if I wanted the price of the item in HKD, I'd have to walk into their shop to do so. In addition to the HK Retail Store button, and a map address, I'm in inclined to think that they do.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a little late but Ehobby have a very good retail store 10 minutes walk from Lai Chi Kok MTR, and it's about a minutes walk from Red Wolf. I was well impressed with the range of stuff they stock. Plus there prices are very competitive, most likely due to the fact that they are outside of the Kwong Wa Monopoly ;)

And on a side note, ShooterCBGear is a decent shop for Flyye gear, and general ACMness.

And also what the F has happened to Gunner? I went up to his new shop last week, and he seemed to be doing rennovation or something? And when did he move, as last time I was there it was where Shooter was. I'm only back in HK every so often, so I miss things :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived