Review: G&P URX (sr-15) Front kit

I've seen the PRS stock tubes modded to fit a big FET and buffer tube lipo, comfortably, on this very forum. Adding some wiring certainly isn't hard, and it'll only add to the look/keep it sleek and refined IMO.

Only thing is Lipo's cost still quite a bit of money, and a redi-mag is fine for me....

• 2 months later...

Update:

After having it for a while, I still find it's a nice and light RIS. Very low profile, and is very solid (if you tighten it enough). Currently, it's set up with an 11.5 barrel (sold the 16"), and works just fine. A KAC QD silencer will just barely fit on the 11.5.

However, a three cons I found:

1. Probably the biggest downside, the finish seems to chip/scratch really easily. I don't think it's anodized, and the paint seems to be really soft, as the metal underneath will be exposed if it touches other metals.

2. Integrated sight is not true to the RS version. Normally, this isn't that big of a problem, but in this case, the post itself (the stick in the sight) has screw threads on the bottom, and will rotate freely, thus it will automatically move up and down (thus changing your sight's elevation. It's pretty annoying, as the VFC and RS versions have a little thumb gear thingy that will adjust elevation

DSC_2009e800.jpg

See that little rotation thingy? The G&P version doesn't have that, meaning the post isn't really locked in place. Once, the post got so far up that I couldn't raise my front sight anymore, and had to use pliers to rotate them back so I could.

DSC_2004e800.jpg

(RS image, but you can see what I mean. If the post goes too high, it rides under the next rail, rendering you unable to flip the sight up)

3. There is a small gap between the URX and the reciever. This seems to be a problem with G&P URXs in general. Perhaps one needs spacers in order to make the gap go away, as it seems the gap was smaller with the 16" barrel.

After using it for a while, I'm still pretty happy with my purchase, as it's the cheapest URX III type rail that I can find. My biggest con is that the finish (though it looks nice) scratches really easily.

Final verdict: Worth the money to me, as I'm a "KAC AM BEST" addict, but I didn't want to drop an extra $120 for the VFC version. However, if you are building a gun from scratch and only have a lower reciever and want to build a KAC gun, I'd advise the VFC version. It's $120 more, but has no gap, better sights, and probably a better finish, and comes with an inner barrel + hopup + upper reciever.

Oh, and on a side note, the first cheapo URX has hit the public!

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...57fov0tot3gpdm7

But I'm not crying because it's longer than a URX III (as I have) and the integrated front sight is sort of fail. No rails and the hinge isn't quite like the RS, + no markings. Hehe....

Edited by Whan

I need to sell off some backup guns and get one of these. I'd advise ya to get some brownells alumahyde aerosol paint to touch up the finish in a much better, more lasting finish.

I am gonna be adding a dytac 12" barrel (stainless color) and my VFC KAC suppressor (awesome bit of kit).

Edited by Vercingetorix

Lol, I used to run with the suppressor on the 16 inch outer barrel, that was ungodly unwieldy.

If only people would buy my stuff <_<

BTW, how far does the 11.5in barrel protrude past the edge of the rail? I was looking for just enough to have the gas block peeking out a little.

Edited by Vercingetorix

It protrudes far enough so that only the FH is peeking out. You're outta luck on an 11.5 if you want a gas block to peek out.

I think a 12.5 would be perfect (keep in mind I'm being biased on this part, as I'd like to stay unique ^_^ ). But yeah, a gas block would have to be completely underneath the rail.