DPM & MTP kit thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best bet I'd say is get on to ebay, always shed loads of kit on there from UK folks. You want issue stuff really as there's barely any independent companies around that actually make decent trousers/shirts. What kind of bits are you after and are you bothered about it being brand spanking new?

Just a pair of trousers and a jacket. I actually prefer it used :P

I love the paint-job on that Aug.

How does MLCE compare to Molle? or is there no real difference aside from slightly different sized straps.

The pouches I had in MLCE (radio and mag pouches) seemed to un-do themselves quite often, but that was due to the snaps being loose. They may have fixed that since then...

Did you make your signature out of that exact picture? Good thinking batman...

lol afraid so, i needed something new and thought hey just photoshop myself hopefully it dont look too bad! On another note I have to say I only just started using ebay to buy my desert kit and I love it! you get some awesome deals on there!

The pouches I had in MLCE (radio and mag pouches) seemed to un-do themselves quite often, but that was due to the snaps being loose. They may have fixed that since then...

Ok. I've seen the vest with full pouches for £200 and I wasn't sure if it was worth getting compared to the prices of molle stuff.

I think I'll just wait until I'm issued it then :P

Just a pair of trousers and a jacket. I actually prefer it used :P

Depends on exactly what you're after mate, I'd say first take a look in the gear discussion sticky for all the UK kit retailers listed there, there's definitely a couple that stock plenty of Grade 1 stuff (which should be what you're after if you'd like used but not abused), avoid grade 2 (generally). Also just try putting CS95 in to ebay and looking for UK sellers, it'll take a little while to trawl through everything up there but put in the time and there's a good chance you'll be able to get everything you want at a decent price with shipping.

lol afraid so, i needed something new and thought hey just photoshop myself hopefully it dont look too bad!

Just noticed the similarity mate, it's a good idea I like it.

Ok. I've seen the vest with full pouches for £200 and I wasn't sure if it was worth getting compared to the prices of molle stuff.

I think I'll just wait until I'm issued it then :P

Are you sure you're not mixing things up a little there? The MLCE stuff was I believe just Webtex's attempt at being the first mass produced MOLLE gear in british DPM (or the first cheaply available stuff anyway). There's a fairly new MOLLE type vest being issued now which Grim mentioned that's designed to go over the osprey, MilitaryKit has the woodland version, the desert one is pretty much standard issue when you get given your desert OOA kitting now (based on what my work colleagues are being given atm).

To be honest, the new vest doesn't look like anything special. All they've done is taken an ops vest and made everything modular; increasing the weight, thickness and adding the embuggerance of putting it together. I've heard that its not well liked in the forces either.

Whoa Whos Talking about what LOL!

As for the MLCE I Personally dont have any experience with Molle of sorts apart from a Bulle dropleg platform and as far as i can see from that the loops are only 1-2mm smaller on the MLCE the only pouches that seem to pop off are the radio pouches, but since there is corresponding straps on the pouches themselves the strength of the poppers is irrelavant but havent failed me apart from the radio pouch popping off ocasionally. as for material, its seems like it would take a good bit of abuse IIRC i think its just Cordura. as for what i can fit on it, a radio and a grenade pouch on the admin panelly bit and 2 mag pouches and a utility pouch on the main bit , with a little room to spare for about two or possibly three single mag pouches. theres also a padded rectagular bit for your back which has Molle straps on it and could fit another utility pouch. as for comfort ive found it more comfotable than PLCE and more manouverable but as of yet ive got no real experience with any other type of Molle system. theres loads of useful little internal pouches on the inside of the chestrig one appears to be for a map several knife sized pouches and areas for pens and cylalume ect. the admin pannely bit also folds up and can be hidden inside the main panel. one of the only problems i can see are the fact that the chestrig may not be small enough for most people, i have a 36 inch waist and in a normal H set up with the straps the thing is just about tight when all the straps are pulled in. i think this is mainly due to the extra Molle panel at the back of the rig, and the Huge size or the quickclips.

Hope this helps and ill put up some pictures once i get a chance to :)

Are you sure you're not mixing things up a little there? The MLCE stuff was I believe just Webtex's attempt at being the first mass produced MOLLE gear in british DPM (or the first cheaply available stuff anyway). There's a fairly new MOLLE type vest being issued now which Grim mentioned that's designed to go over the osprey, MilitaryKit has the woodland version, the desert one is pretty much standard issue when you get given your desert OOA kitting now (based on what my work colleagues are being given atm).

Yeah I was talking about the one in the link you povided. Too many initialisations at once to deal with confusing me :D

To be honest, the new vest doesn't look like anything special. All they've done is taken an ops vest and made everything modular; increasing the weight, thickness and adding the embuggerance of putting it together. I've heard that its not well liked in the forces either.

You heard right, you wont find any but the stingiest infantryman wearing that thing, its a POS.

Darkchild

Cavalvy Bowman replica for 1 pin Motorolas hooked up to Motorola XTR446. As necessary with any DPM/Brit loadout the bowman is a bit battered and as such is masking taped up to buggery and the buckle/tape combo on the left side of the pic on my chest is a bodgineered 1 point sling attachment point for the L85.

Weapon is a JG AUG with a high speed CA gearbox and Action RAS front end (put together long before the clone came out). Its not mine but due to an M4 of mine frakking up I lent my L85 to the M4 user and borrowed the AUG from another friend of mine who wanted to use his L96.

My vest itself I think is the Warrior TMV Bravo (maybe Eagle), best £75 I've spent on gear and I've got it set up just the way I want now with 2 double ammo mags as above with a radio pounch on the far right (antenna just visible) and two medium utility pouches on the left for pyros. On the back I have a inverted Blackhawk Serpa for my USP and when needed a hydration carrier.

Slooowly going forward..

5c3200953052P9ec5.jpg

Edit: a kitlist maybe?

DPM Boonie

S95 Shirt

S95 Jacket

Flak Jacket

PLCE

2x Double ammo pouch

2X Utility pouch

S95 Trousers

ARMY L85A1

über tactical black socks

Edited by Noart

Buttons, pouches...what're you going to leave undone next, a submarine hatch? :P Also I think thats a 94/90 Temperate smock you have there which isn't the same as a S'95 shirt but I'm being pedantic.

Are you going for a particular look by the way, you're looking distinctly 1980s to mid 90s, however a few pointers that don't require anything major

1) Put simply, Brit soldiers even when deployed somehow manage to retain some degree of smartness in their appearance (look at Darkchild's pictures a few pages back), on the opposite end of the scale they pull off something called 'ally' ie looking like bad azz mofos (see Brit animal mother a few pages back). Now I'm only a civilian but I'd say its a damn sight easier to look smart than it is to look ally. So get yourself some black electrical tape and tie up all the lose straps on your webbing and make sure you do up your buttons/zips/clips. They are really small, perhaps petty things but they make the difference between a decent load out/impression and looking like you're a newbie whose just walked out the army surplus store.

2) Considering the era you're current kit sort of places you, consider picking up some 'NI Gloves' or padded leather gloves, not only do they keep your fingers warm, they'll also compliment the rest of your kit and look right as opposed to a set of oakley SI gloves for example.

3) You might want to consider getting a scrim scarf for your neck but that's only because the smocks always leave a ridiculous gap around the neck and I don't think green shemaghs started getting used until the army started going a bit further east.

4) Another tiny issue is that I think the flak jacket was in fact worn under the smock, I'm sure it was in reality worn either way but I can't help but think the recommendation for the CBA to be worn under a layer of clothing was something to do with perception of the army when walking around certain towns.

5) L85 sling is a must:P

To be honest though, I would say point 1 will make the biggest difference and no doubt there will be some people who have served/are serving who'll probably correct some of the stuff I've said.

When you want specifics, its a P85 smock, the small buttons on the zipper note that.

As for the armour underneath, it's just for ease of use. The smock is a great bit of kit and wearing the CBA overtop cuts out use of pockets (compass, watch cap, etc..) and the 'brecon pouch'. I tend to do the same in the field, just leave it a little bit loose to avoid overheating and you're good to go.

The only other thing would be the sling, issued SA80 since they are the dogs when it comes to general issue slings.

Not the best pic in the world, but here's a cutdown image from a recent game:

dpm.jpg

As I said, not the best image :lol:

Kit list:

Magnum classic all leather boots

Dessie DPM trousers

Norgie shirt

S'2000 windproof smock

NI gloves cut to half finger

Short brim boonie

Custom PLCE webbing

Kenwood radio with ACM Bowman headset

Star L85A2

And it was absolutely sweltering that day! The combination of norgie and windproof is unbelievably warm, but also comfortable, so highly recommended for winter months :) And yes, before you ask, the webbing is packed with an airsofter's version of what squaddies carry!