DPM & MTP kit thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lowas & Meindls are issue now.

Re: the *suitcase* vest - I might buy one of these:

http://www.optactical.com/noname26.html

And put the pouches on, see what it looks like. I just dug out the old-style desert vest I bought off eBay years ago & removed the mag dividers, much lighter.

Edited by doc_newstead

Catterick was a touch chilly this weekend, all i have under my combat jacket is my Helly hansen lifa. just threw the head over on when we got back on camp because we stopped moving and as u know thats when u get cold.

Grim

Buttons, pouches...what're you going to leave undone next, a submarine hatch? :P Also I think thats a 94/90 Temperate smock you have there which isn't the same as a S'95 shirt but I'm being pedantic.

Are you going for a particular look by the way, you're looking distinctly 1980s to mid 90s, however a few pointers that don't require anything major

1) Put simply, Brit soldiers even when deployed somehow manage to retain some degree of smartness in their appearance (look at Darkchild's pictures a few pages back), on the opposite end of the scale they pull off something called 'ally' ie looking like bad azz mofos (see Brit animal mother a few pages back). Now I'm only a civilian but I'd say its a damn sight easier to look smart than it is to look ally. So get yourself some black electrical tape and tie up all the lose straps on your webbing and make sure you do up your buttons/zips/clips. They are really small, perhaps petty things but they make the difference between a decent load out/impression and looking like you're a newbie whose just walked out the army surplus store.

2) Considering the era you're current kit sort of places you, consider picking up some 'NI Gloves' or padded leather gloves, not only do they keep your fingers warm, they'll also compliment the rest of your kit and look right as opposed to a set of oakley SI gloves for example.

3) You might want to consider getting a scrim scarf for your neck but that's only because the smocks always leave a ridiculous gap around the neck and I don't think green shemaghs started getting used until the army started going a bit further east.

4) Another tiny issue is that I think the flak jacket was in fact worn under the smock, I'm sure it was in reality worn either way but I can't help but think the recommendation for the CBA to be worn under a layer of clothing was something to do with perception of the army when walking around certain towns.

5) L85 sling is a must:P

To be honest though, I would say point 1 will make the biggest difference and no doubt there will be some people who have served/are serving who'll probably correct some of the stuff I've said.

Shirt... can you even see that through the jacket?

1. Haven't got the time before the game (the photos below) so, yeah, i'll do that... Sometime. (exception for the knife tough)

2. Gloves aint anything i'm going to "replicate", i use what fits me on this point.

3. It's on the to-do list, using my Shemagh for now while there's still snow.

4. The loop on the front of the CBA holds up the belt better, i like that and i don't use the jackets pouches anyways.

5. It's on the to-do list.

When you want specifics, its a P85 smock, the small buttons on the zipper note that.

As for the armour underneath, it's just for ease of use. The smock is a great bit of kit and wearing the CBA overtop cuts out use of pockets (compass, watch cap, etc..) and the 'brecon pouch'. I tend to do the same in the field, just leave it a little bit loose to avoid overheating and you're good to go.

The only other thing would be the sling, issued SA80 since they are the dogs when it comes to general issue slings.

P85? Okay, what's that to be more precise?

I have answered the rest in previous quote.

I'm "trying" to replicate the 90's era gear so. Will take it to an impression in a few years.

c15200985144Pa548.jpg

Bulle DPM Boonie

Shemagh (i think i bought it in Egypt)

S95 Shirt

P85 Smock (apparently)

Combat Body Armour

PLCE

-2x Double Ammo Pouch

-2x Utility Pouch

-1x Mora 2000

S95 Trousers

GoreTex Viking Boots

Guide Gloves

ARMY l85a1 @110m/s

Maybe a bonus picture?

b65200983232P427a.jpg

Edited by Noart
P85? Okay, what's that to be more precise?

Pattern 85 to be precise, it was the smock style that came out in the 80's and into the 90's. You can tell them by the use of buttons on the storm flap and the small buttons on the pockets. The S90/94 smock had no storm flap and introduced the zippered pockets on the chest.

Btw. Grim, do I spot a horse amongst those guns?

Edited by Lerch

A Royal Horse Artillery Lerch? One of our young officer cadeds centre rear? I dont think hes RHA but in all honesty i never really paid much attention to his cap badge when chatting to him lol. Should get some cracking video of the guns live firing this weekend as im picking up my helmet cam today :)

Grim

Edited by Grim

heres some all from the same ebay store. (wish this guy hada shop front as i could just go down there and pick up kit then and not have to pay postage.)

DDPM molle

PLCE in DPM and DDPM

Ignore the webtex stuff and look at the Vanguard and the Range Master stuff they tend to be molle stuff

Grim