DPM & MTP kit thread

I always end up wearing gloves as the knuckle on my thumb rubs on the pristol grip and over the day it becomes raw and very sore. Grim

Well the super anal officer at the range says to me when i walk to my rifle "Now take those gloves off when does anyone shoot with gloves on" :huh:

Retard!!, so yes the top of my hand was sore for the rest of the day another thing i dont like about the british army the officers are such tradtionalists its no wonder they are stuck with dated kit all the time not to mention gordon fLucking brown!!.

Edited by boomheadshot (infidel)
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, they were *suitcase*. Piece of material between thumb and fore finger way too tight, cut into the web of your hand, wrist too short, couldnt tuck them into your smock in the rain (sorta defeats the point of goretex).

Apparently the next batch will be vastly improved.

Darkchild

Retard!!, so yes the top of my hand was sore for the rest of the day another thing i dont like about the british army the officers are such tradtionalists its no wonder they are stuck with dated kit all the time not to mention gordon fLucking brown!!.

thats a bit general isnt it

you're 15 right? and you're shooting i assume was with the air cadets? just going off your profile here.

so i am assuming from this the officer was being anal with you because you aren't experienced with the weapon system enough to maintain control with gloves on.

the very reason given to me when i was in the early range days at harrogate.

if you need gloves to fire the weapon, reconsider the forces

cheers

Edited by Parsley

Ditto, i wasnt allowed to fire a weapon with gloves on at all during training (including live firing in Brecon in November) its a safety thing. Once i got to battalion i could do what i want ( i always fire with my SOLAGS on these days, train how you fight and all that) but in depot gloves were a no no.

Darkchild

its no wonder they are stuck with dated kit all the time not to mention gordon fLucking brown!!.

Sorry what? What effect does the Army's traditionalist-type of Officer (or your stereotyping of the aforementioned) have anything to do whatsoever with the man who is currently living in 10 Downing Street?

right i was wayyy off and unclear in what i ment to say let me rephrase it

Well the super anal officer at the range says to me when i walk to my rifle "Now take those gloves off when does anyone shoot with gloves on" :huh:which is now clear to me that this was not alloud as i was inexperianced in controling the weapon do disreguard my last."when does anyone shoot with gloves " i was picking up on this as if he thought no one had ever shot or thought about shooting with gloves on which in theater is exactly what you would want to do along with wearing sleeves rolled down or not rolled up past the elbow to protect yourself from injury or fatigue on those vital areas.

Retard!!, so yes the top of my hand was sore for the rest of the day another thing i dont like about some top brass officers are such tradtionalists its no wonder they are stuck with dated kit all the time this refering to the british armed forces "way of doing things" for example the time taken for the adoption and to see the need for a self loading rifle, fully automatic assult rifle and smaller calibre rifle(assault rifle). Another example of not seeing an obvious idea was the amount of firepower on vehicals. Take a open door humvee for example they would have a M2 MB on top and a M240 on a swing arm as well. Back in the day a snatch would be seen with a lonely GPMG on top. Now look at the new vehicals like the supercat (saw about 20 of them at fremington they were awesome and decided to distract us from drill with the hydralics) they have either a M2 HB or HK GMG with 2 GPMG in the very front and on the back, the best example i can find is the royal marines new landing assault craft with 2 M2 HBs or HK GMG OR A DILLON GATLING GUN :o then double GPMGs on the front and more GPMGs on the back wouldent have seen that before afghan or the early stages of afghan would you. A thing to note with this theory is that its mainly apparent during peacetime as during conflict all these ideas and upgrades go through DE&S with urgent operational requirements so it bypasses the top brasses thoughts on the need of it from thier experiance back in the day compared to now. This is not a pun at british armed forces officers all our armed forces do such a great job and i have total resepct for them (i wish more people would think that too) and i hope to be part of the armed forces as well as an officer myself.

not to mention gordon fLucking brown!!. Forget this was an imaginary link that no longer exists now i have cleared things up.

if you need gloves to fire the weapon, reconsider the forces

Did i say i needed to, keep in mind that the day i was on that range it was bloody cold and windy day and if you had read earlier there was a disscusion about the uncomfortable ness of the pistol grip on the L85 seires of weapon, and that gloves cure the problem of sore hands, plus the fact that gloves for me making handling a weapon for a long period of time more comfortable.

Soon i shall be having some cyre custom dpm trousers with vertion 2 knee pads built in when i can source a pair of knee pads. I asked crye in a nice email i sent them if they were planning on doing dpm combat pants but no reply as usual so it will be cheaper to make my own :).

the keyword is bulkorder...

they won´t make you just one paint. but alternatively you could get some dpm material and take the crye´s to a tailor.

rest should be easy.

Of course they wouldnt make me one pant but i was asking if they were going to make them in DPM but no so i will make my own following advice from someone wo has done it before.

Oh lord. Why didn't I think of putting soft armour in my Osprey earlier...! :/

Wondered what would happen if I put my Unicor IBA soft armour in the Osprey...and now it fits like it always should have done. :)

Did camping bedrole not come to mind??

The more i put in my RICAS the more comfortable it becomes now i have level 3 camping bedroll and SABI cardboard plates

SABI

Scalectrix And Budwiser (i dont know what the I stands for in SAPI :unsure: ) cardboard :P

Another example of not seeing an obvious idea was the amount of firepower on vehicals. Take a open door humvee for example they would have a M2 MB on top and a M240 on a swing arm as well. Back in the day a snatch would be seen with a lonely GPMG on top. Now look at the new vehicals like the supercat

WMIKs have been around for years before the Supacat, not to mention the LRDG jeeps, pinkies, dinkies and everything inbetween that have been used for the last 65 years

If I understood your terribly composed post correctly, you suggested that the British didn't start mounting a lot of firepower onto lightweight vehicles until the introduction of the Jackal...

Oh im sorry MR grammar nazi, i try my best but theres no pleasing some people <_<

I cant be bothered to explain to you im not in the mood christ i typed a bad post and tryed to clear it up, if you dont agree with that example ignore it and look at the other one, i realy dont care if you disagree with my observation that ive seen and discussed with others so for christ sake lets just get back on to the dpm kit thread topic.

Now look at the new vehicals like the supercat (saw about 20 of them at fremington they were awesome and decided to distract us from drill with the hydralics) they have either a M2 HB or HK GMG with 2 GPMG in the very front and on the back, the best example i can find is the royal marines new landing assault craft with 2 M2 HBs or HK GMG OR A DILLON GATLING GUN :o then double GPMGs on the front and more GPMGs on the back wouldent have seen that before afghan or the early stages of afghan would you.

You do know that the British have mounted multiple weapons on vehicles since World War 2? Try 5 Vickers machine guns on Willys Jeeps used by the SAS in World War 2.

Or the infamous Pink Landrovers, similarily armed with multiple weapons (I can't remember exactly what in this case though)

On the topic of things like SLRs... We didn't adopt them earlier because we didn't need them... The Lee Enfield was (and probably still is) one of the best Bolt Action rifles in the world. We looked at adopting the FN FAL (which became the L1A1 SLR) as early as 1950.

You also comment on how our lack of upgrading is especially noticable during peacetime...

Obvious situation is obvious. Why on earth would we need to fast track military upgrades if we're not at war with anyone?

In the end, the British Army's "way of doing things" is based off the simple principle of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". We still use PLCE, because it works (although as has been seen it is now becoming out-dated and the Army is replacing it with Molle on Osprey), we kept Lee Enfields for ages, because they were brilliant rifles.

ON the DPM kits, i'm immensely jealous of all the Osprey stuff surfacing. I've tried on a friends set and it sat brilliantly, so I want some of my own for my 'yellows'.